Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Spring enrollment or wait?

Registered
    Oct 2009

Spring enrollment or wait?

Hey everybody I'm new to this forum. I am a junior in college and will be a senior after this fall semester. I'm a semester ahead of most people in my class because I got credits while I was in highschool. Anyways, I will be graduating Fall of 2010. I would like to start going to grad school Fall 2011 or Spring 2011. Do you guys think it would be a better idea to take the Spring semester off to do work and get everything straightened out? Or try to start going Spring 2011?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I think either choice would be appropriate, considering what it is you feel like.

Graduate applications can be time consuming, but that doesn't mean you need to put this off a semester, and work experience can be a very valuable attribute, especially to show your willingness in the field for your graduate school applications. Some programs I have been in contact with have told me that they recieve less applicants in the spring, theoretically making it into a program with limited space easier to obtain. If this is the case for the schools your interested in, maybe it'd be smart for you to get a leg up and do some internships before you graduate so you have some professional experience to show for. That being said, there are still many other variables to consider. Some programs only accept students in the fall, others only offer financial aid for fall enrollments.

In the end I think it's going to come down to a decision based upon what you feel works best for you timing wise. But that's my 2 cents..

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Your options will be limited if you choose spring enrollment; many programs don't give you the choice.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Sep 2009
    AddG is right about the financial aid. I just applied to UIC for the Spring despite them not awarding work study or assistantships until the Fall.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Thank you guys for you input. I wasn't aware that I couldn't get financial aid by starting in the Spring semester. Thanks for that.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Cphaiah View post
    I wasn't aware that I couldn't get financial aid by starting in the Spring semester.
    Not so fast; you should talk to your prospective school and take it case by case as every institution differs.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 26
    Last post: 30 Mar 2008, 1:34 AM
  2. Deferring enrollment?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 23 Jul 2007, 7:56 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Feb 2007, 7:14 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Apr 2005, 11:02 AM