Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Grant writing

Registered
    Aug 2009

Grant writing

Can anyone recommend a good grant writing book or resource? I notice a lot of job seekers want grant writing experience as a skill. I just want good cursory knowledge of the process...since it is foreign to me.

Registered
    Aug 2009

nm

I found an old thread about this...stupid me. I should have searched first.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...=grant+writing

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I've applied for-and gotten-several grants through DEQ. After dorking around looking for a how-to books, I just followed previous examples and talked DEQ. They helped walk me through the process and the forms. Like most things in planning, you gotta put your heavy work gloves on, do it and learn that way.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I've applied for-and gotten-several grants through DEQ. After dorking around looking for a how-to books, I just followed previous examples and talked DEQ. They helped walk me through the process and the forms. Like most things in planning, you gotta put your heavy work gloves on, do it and learn that way.
    Seems like there's really no substitute for go-by's!

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    You might try calling some local service groups or nonprofits and asking if they know of any grantwriting workshops coming up in your local area. These are pretty common and often last only one day. Some are even free. I learned lots about grants through hands-on methods like that.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by danthonyjr View post
    You might try calling some local service groups or nonprofits and asking if they know of any grantwriting workshops coming up in your local area. These are pretty common and often last only one day. Some are even free. I learned lots about grants through hands-on methods like that.
    I found a free two-session class offered by my alma mater. It was well worth it, and the only cost was an hour drive and campus parking.

HTH

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I have heard about grant-writing workshops sponsored by the state. I wrote grant applications for construction, restoration, and maintenance funds for 3 parks, totaling about $1.2 million in state funding awarded to the 3 clients. I read the directions very carefully and did what I was told. It was time consuming but not impossible, and I didn't feel like I needed any special guide or workshop to write the grant applications. I wonder if these workshops go more into depth with the paperwork or cover intangibles like developing strong relationships with the grant agencies.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. First grant writing experiences
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 12:27 PM
  2. First grant writing experiences?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 8