Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Grad schools in the DC area

  1. #1
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    40

    Grad schools in the DC area

    I am looking at moving to the DC area next year and am looking at 3 programs; 2 of which are public admin and one planning. I am wondering if anyone out here knows anything about these programs and if so could you provide some insight into these programs? Are there others out there I am missing??

    American Univeristy- MPA
    George Washington- MPA (Or Planning I think I saw they have a Land Use Design Program)
    Maryland- Planning

  2. #2
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    12
    You could check out Virginia Tech's Alexandria Program in Planning or Catholic University's Planning Program.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    7,529
    Blog entries
    1

    Hmmm.....

    I wonder what ever hapened to the University of Dumb Children's program??? errr....U. District of Columbia?

    How about George Mason? Howard University would be cool too for an M.A.P.A.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,559
    Quote Originally posted by samraen View post
    I am looking at moving to the DC area next year and am looking at 3 programs; 2 of which are public admin and one planning. I am wondering if anyone out here knows anything about these programs and if so could you provide some insight into these programs? Are there others out there I am missing??

    American Univeristy- MPA
    George Washington- MPA (Or Planning I think I saw they have a Land Use Design Program)
    Maryland- Planning
    AU and GW are very pricey...if you want to pay that much you should look Ivy League. According to those I worked with AU was more management focused where GW was more quantitative. Georgetown's public policy program was top notch. If you want to go to school in the area, that would be my top choice.

    Maryland has an under rated planning department. As a former DC municipal employee I can tell you there is little planning done and those with planning jobs have impressive resumes and experience.

    George Mason is big into public choice theory so be prepared for the economics department to be heavily involved.

    Howard has a good program. Don't get hung up on the HBC designation.

    Since you are looking to spend a small fortune on our masters, you should also look at Johns Hopkins. They offer evening masters classes in DC.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

  5. #5
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    40

    Georgetown

    Thank you very much for the advice, I looked into Georgetown and it looks like a great program. Do you think I have a shot of getting in, or am I wasting my time applying?

    3.25 Undergrad in Planning
    2 years work experience in local government planning
    1100 GRE
    Letters of Rec should be solid

    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    AU and GW are very pricey...if you want to pay that much you should look Ivy League. According to those I worked with AU was more management focused where GW was more quantitative. Georgetown's public policy program was top notch. If you want to go to school in the area, that would be my top choice.

    Maryland has an under rated planning department. As a former DC municipal employee I can tell you there is little planning done and those with planning jobs have impressive resumes and experience.

    George Mason is big into public choice theory so be prepared for the economics department to be heavily involved.

    Howard has a good program. Don't get hung up on the HBC designation.

    Since you are looking to spend a small fortune on our masters, you should also look at Johns Hopkins. They offer evening masters classes in DC.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,559
    Quote Originally posted by samraen View post
    Thank you very much for the advice, I looked into Georgetown and it looks like a great program. Do you think I have a shot of getting in, or am I wasting my time applying?

    3.25 Undergrad in Planning
    2 years work experience in local government planning
    1100 GRE
    Letters of Rec should be solid
    No idea, but the only way to know is to apply. Good Luck!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. School: Australia (general) Australian grad schools
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Jul 2013, 9:11 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Mar 2012, 6:51 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Jan 2011, 11:39 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Jan 2009, 2:35 PM
  5. Opinions of Grad Schools
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Apr 2007, 3:34 PM