Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are you or your office doing for Halloween 2008

Registered
    Feb 2007

What are you or your office doing for Halloween 2008

Hey all, tomorrow is Halloween or "all hallows eve" has catholic school put it. Knowing we have a good age range here, are you going to be dressing up for Halloween with your fellow workers or classmates? Let's not forget about the kids! What are your kids going to dress up as? It would be cool if we could post pics along with each posting. I am dressing up as "Joe the planner" complete with mullet, six pack, and snuff. My daughter and i have been working all week to complete her robot outfit. So what say you?
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Well, we put a small bowl of Tootsie rolls at the front counter. Otherwise nothing else at work. We will be taking Junior out for his first year of 'real' (i.e. going to houses other than relatives to show off costumes) Trick or treating'

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I'm dressing up as a six-pack of beer, with a "Joe" name tag of course
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not a dang thing. I'm hoping for rain tomorrow night but it's not in the forecast.

(What, no poll?)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Not a dang thing. I'm hoping for rain tomorrow night but it's not in the forecast.

(What, no poll?)
    Me either. I will be the lone employee in the office and plan on RJing several hours early to go to a job fair in NYC and out to dinner with one of my friends who lives there. To trick or treating in general I say "bah-humbug" and I have not bought or plan on buying candy.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Nothing at work other than raiding the candy supplies of co-workers.

At home, our front porch and entrance have been out of commission (complete with orange construction fencing) for over a month now so unless I decide to sit in the driveway handing out candy we won't be doing anything.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My son is going as a Ninja. We will do our usual - trick-or-treating at the local college dorm, which hosts a Halloween party. The kid gets candy and Papa gets to look at coeds. A win-win! Then we head over to the Cathedral district for door-to-door trick or treating.

I have a dollar store devil's mask and a pitchfork. Going as a horny devil. Okay, that is not much of a costume as it is a way of life.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just my usual friday blue jeans and flannel shirt - what a "Joe" costume or uniform ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'm taking the day off because I've got family in from out of state. I brought in the goofy-grinning pumpkin and filled it with candy. Currently, its on my secretary's desk, being circled by the candy vultures.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Wearing my Star Trek (original series) uniform to work.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    • I am taping coins to me with a sign that says "Change you can believe in"
    • my 4 yo son is going as, in his words, a knight in shining armour
    • my 9 yo daughter will be a gypsie (scary when she wears make up)
    • my 15 yo and her friend(s) are goign as the Flight of the Conchords band (I am supposed to find a sweatshirt with an animal on it this afternoon)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Personally, I am doing nothing at home. Turn the lights out and watch a movie in the back. We'll be drinking, since it's a weekend.

At work, since I will be off tomorrow, I will miss two things:

the adjacent department's costume contest
    the upstairs departments bake sale

The bake sale could be good - there's a lady upstairs that makes killer cookies and cupcakes! Otherwise, I think I'm good.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I thought about being "Joe the Plummer" at work, but I don't think it would go over too well with the butt crack showing (and I don't wear anything with Ohio State on it). SO I just bring my KMart mask to work and have it on my desk. The front counter will have a candy bowl.

On the home front, Wee P is going to be a cowgirl. Mrs. p just finished making her vest last night. There's a guy (Assit. Police Cheif) in our neighborhood who hooks up a trailer to a tractor and pulls kids around the neighborhood and this year the little one is old enough (his rules) to go.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    To trick or treating in general I say "bah-humbug" and I have not bought or plan on buying candy.
    Boo-humbug, you mean.

My office isn't doing anything (although since it's a Friday with no major clients in the office, we can pay $5 - which goes to charity - for the right to wear jeans to work)...plus, I'm working at home tomorrow.

Tomorrow evening - out to dinner somewhere, then probably back home with the lights out and a movie in.

Boo-humbug, indeed.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wallÖ"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Dude, you are the man... is the uniform blue, red, or yellow?

I'm thinking of heading down to Manhattan for the Village Halloween Parade. I'm throwing around a few costume ideas but the winning one right now is to be a bike lane (thanks Planetizen!). There's a piece of siding that a contractor brought in as a materials sample, I had considered commandeering it and taping it to myself so I can be a McMansion for Halloween. Decisions, decisions.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Square dance caller

I get to RJ since I have a day-long school gig. (Using up vacation day.) For the kids, I'll look like a square dance caller (denim, chambray) with my Halloween vest (pumpkin side out) and earrings. Maybe socks, too.

Front window is all pumpkined up, but I don't believe there are any kids still on the street. I always put out a bin of little plastic bicycles (sugar-free, and a Good Influence) on a small table. Leave the poch light on, and go live my life.

Last year it was pretty boring. I wore a S/S shirt with my costume department tattoo sleeves (like stockings printed with tats). It is so completely out of character that it threw everyone (all two of them) off.

Saturday is a contra dance (big surprise) and I'll dig out my skeletons-on-bikes T-shirt, seeing as how it's El Dia de Los Muertos. Matching earrings, somewhere.

Tonight the "urban expriment" guy is hosting a "zombie walk" downtown. (He gets DDA grants for this stuff!) I am seriously considering taking my heavy metal zombie self down there and playing tuba music. Anyone have repertoire suggestions? (Theme from Jaws: two notes.)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    • I am taping coins to me with a sign that says "Change you can believe in"
    Please avoid all homeless/hobos who request for change during this costume endeavor, it may save you some grief.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Tonight the "urban expriment" guy is hosting a "zombie walk" downtown. (He gets DDA grants for this stuff!) I am seriously considering taking my heavy metal zombie self down there and playing tuba music. Anyone have repertoire suggestions? (Theme from Jaws: two notes.)
    Off-topic:
    [just then, some ominous dangerous music starts to play] Oh no. Spongebob, quick, reel it in! Canít you hear the music? Thatís a 4/4 string ostinato in D minor! Every sailor knows that means death! Reel it in before itís too late! Hurry, Spongebob! The musicís getting faster! [Sponge struggles to reel it in. Krabs goes to the boat and opens the cabin doors, revealing a live-action black and white orchestra. Krabs yells at them to stop playing, but they keep playing anyway. The music gets faster and Krabs becomes more paranoid. But soon, the dollar is reeled in]

Nothing happening at my office, HUGE change from the last one (THE low cost airline) where it's a day of revelry.
    ďDeath comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.Ē

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Off-topic:
    [just then, some ominous dangerous music starts to play] Oh no. Spongebob, quick, reel it in! Canít you hear the music? Thatís a 4/4 string ostinato in D minor! Every sailor knows that means death! Reel it in before itís too late! Hurry, Spongebob! The musicís getting faster! [Sponge struggles to reel it in. Krabs goes to the boat and opens the cabin doors, revealing a live-action black and white orchestra. Krabs yells at them to stop playing, but they keep playing anyway. The music gets faster and Krabs becomes more paranoid. But soon, the dollar is reeled in]
    Post of the Day!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The instructor of my GIS class encouraged us to dress up as something GIS related for extra credit. I wasn't feeling creative so I didn't. A few decent "costumes". We had an arc toolbox, a join, a clip, etc.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Please avoid all homeless/hobos who request for change during this costume endeavor, it may save you some grief.
    ...and the need to file a sexual harassment suit!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Yaddaween

As mentioned in the WEEKEND thread, this Bear awaits the word from Katie.....either going to pass out Halloween candy or head over to Loma Linda's.

Our quiet little street breaks out into "candy-a-monium" on Halloween. We buy hundreds of candy treats and we still run out.....every year. Katie likes to sit on the front steps, check out the costumes, and enjoy the night (with a cool drink at hand). If we stay at home I just wander the net or work on my fake city stuff (spreadsheets, etc.). The weather is going to be a tad above normal, with trick or treat time temps in the mid-50F range.....and dry.

Some of the farm communities are doing their trick or treat tonight, because their high school football teams are in playoff games. When we lived in very rural Henry County we never had the costumed front porch visitors. All the rural families would drive to the nearest small town, park the car, and wander those streets, with orange treat bag in hand. I used to take my son (and my step-son) to Grand Rapids.....a small village along the Maumee River.

If we do Loma Linda's.....I will be a happy camper. Do I sound like a goblinish version of Scrooge.....perhaps. Sue me.

At the workplace there is nothing special going on. A couple people will show-up in some sort of mild costume.....that's all.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'll be missing the work fun. I'll be portraying the Pope in Las Vegas over Halloween weekend. I will be blessing the party goers and celebrating "All Saints Eve".

As for the kids:
    I have a Clonetrooper
    I have a Prince Charming (Cinderella)
    I have an Aerial (Little Mermaid)
    I have a Snow White (Snow White)

I'll make sure that pics follow.

My work will be having a "talent" show for the end of the United Way run. I expect my associate planners will be dressed appropriately as redneck contractors.

Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames
    Dude, you are the man... is the uniform blue, red, or yellow?
    If it is red, we'll never hear from him again. (Ensign's were red, right?)
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    That's scary.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

One of my grandsons is playing in a football district playoff, his dad is the coach (one of my sons) so one of my other sons (his wife doesnt like football)so she is staying home handing out candy) and I going to be sitting in a cold football stadium Since this grandson is a senior and is playing first string I have to be there
    Could be some tricking rather than treating going on at my house, since Mrs Katt is out of town

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Halloween Costumes (if any)?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 64
    Last post: 01 Nov 2012, 4:55 PM
  2. Halloween
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 03 Nov 2009, 1:05 PM
  3. Replies: 15