Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Single-hung vs. double-hung windows?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Single-hung vs. double-hung windows?

Whats the difference between single and double hung windows? From my understanding, the difference is that the top window on the double hung is able to move up and down or pop out. Whereas the top window on the single-hung window does not move. Only the bottom one slides up and down. Could somebody verify this for me? Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    That's pretty much it. A double-hung window has two vertically sliding sashes, each designed to close a different half of the window. Single-hung windows are similar in operation to double-hung windows, with the exception that only the bottom sash opens.

I'll send you a bill for my services.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2003
    So does a double hung change to a single hung when you paint the top shut???
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

bubba is absolutely right. Queen B is too, at least for those that don't know how to paint window sash, which is why they make "window zippers".

But, more so, there's a green lesson in this: before air conditioning, the top sash was used, in conjunction with tall ceilings, as a means to cool a building. By lowering the top sash and raising the bottom sash, natural circulation could be used so that heated air could be exhausted from a room and thereby help keep the rooms cooler (or at least less hot). That's part of the reason why you see such tall windows in historic New Orleans homes, for example.

You may see windows abbreviated as 1/1, or 2/2 or 12/12. This means one light (or piece of glass) over one, and they are called one-over-one, twelve-over-twelve, et cet.

dbl vs single hung

What does it mean when they say that the single hung have tilting bottom sashes?
    and why?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    A tilting bottom sash is a modern construct. There are two small catches that allow the window panel to tilt in, for easy cleaning. Otherwise you'd need very narrow hands, or a special wand that fits between the two window sashes, or a ladder if it's outside on the second floor.

(These features are not related to planning.)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 21 May 2009, 1:47 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Jul 2007, 7:12 PM
  3. The curse of (at?) Windows
    Information Technology
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Jan 2005, 3:42 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last post: 30 Jul 2003, 1:50 PM