Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Land use plan and zoning map

Registered
    Jun 2002

Land use plan and zoning map

I was under the impression that there was a Land Use Plan in which the municipality indicated its general intent for future land use according to general types of use. Further, that there was a municipal Zoning Map that indicated the official zoning that has been legally imposed on the land.

My understanding was that the Land Use Plan indicated general intent, whether actually achieved or not, which would serve as a guide for future changes in zoning.

I cannot find this concept in our enabling legislation, nor in our Planning Commission documents.

Is this a valid concept in Planning, or something I just read as a desireable concept, but not an actual practice?

Should we have both?

What are your thoughts?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Planning 101

The comprehensive plan and its associated future land use map is the broad view of where a jurisdiction sees itself in the future. Commonly, a 10-year horizon.

The land development regulations, consisting of items like zone districts, allowed and conditional uses, setbacks, FAR, height limits, subdivision rules, blah, blah, blah, and the zoning map, implement, in detail, the vision contained in the comprehensive plan.

In short, you need both.

Yes, it's an actual practice.

If I weren't so old and cynical, I could teach this stuff.

As written by Professor RJ.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    From my fair city's Comp Plan Intoduction citing the State Code -

Indiana statute (I.C. 36-7-4-501) requires a comprehensive plan to be approved by resolution for the promotion of public health, safety, morals, convenience, order, or the general welfare and for the sake of efficiency and economy in the process of development.

THAT IT IS THE LEGAL FOUNDATION FOR LOCAL ORDINANCES.
    The plan must be approved by the city or county in order to legally adopt a zoning
    ordinance, and zoning is a prerequisite for adoption of a subdivision ordinance as
    required by State statute (I.C. 36-7-4-601 and 701).
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    The comprehensive plan and its associated future land use map is the broad view of where a jurisdiction sees itself in the future. Commonly, a 10-year horizon.

The land development regulations, consisting of items like zone districts, allowed and conditional uses, setbacks, FAR, height limits, subdivision rules, blah, blah, blah, and the zoning map, implement, in detail, the vision contained in the comprehensive plan.

In short, you need both.

Yes, it's an actual practice.

If I weren't so old and cynical, I could teach this stuff.

As written by Professor RJ.
    Like the Prof said, with one codicil. In meat and potatoes planning, the zoning map is what you will be dealing on a day-in, day-out basis. Further, different states put different weight on the future land use plan. The states I have worked in acknowledge the plan with the idea that it should guide the decison making process. In other states, if it don't follow the plan, it aint gonna happen. Finally, if a major employer is coming to town, concessions are gonna be made.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Around here the zoning means everything. If a municipality does happen to have a Comprehensive Plan (or a "Master Plan", as it is called in state law), that means nothing if the zoning doesn't agree. While communities are technically required under state law to have a Master Plan, many communities do not. And case law has said that a zoning ordinance can count as a Master Plan.

There is a zoning reform effort out there to require Master Plans and that zoning be consistent with them, but its bogged down.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 10:02 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Aug 2003, 7:53 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Jul 2001, 9:00 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 29 Jun 2001, 9:58 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Jun 2001, 9:29 AM