Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why is Santa Barbara so well-known in California?

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008

Why is Santa Barbara so well-known in California?

Why is Santa Barbara so well-known in California? Is it a major urban city in California, or just a major tourist destination? What makes it so special?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Dude, why don't you take a trip up there some weekend? Take your camera and post some pictures. That will answer your question. There is a great wine shop and brewpub downtown. Don't miss those spots. The place is hot.
    What would RJ do?

Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    Why is Santa Barbara so well-known in California? Is it a major urban city in California, or just a major tourist destination? What makes it so special?
    As a former resident and lifetime frequent visitor of that state, I'll contribute my (very biased) opinion:

Until 1974, Santa Barbara was no more special than any other amazingly gorgeous coastal city in California.

(It's the home of the very fine UCSB, but other... err... "not-as-special" cities harbor fine CA State Universties.)

In 1974, then-Governor Ronald Reagan purchased a 688-acre SB ranch named Rancho del Cielo , (roughly translated to "Ranch in the Sky"). Overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Santa Ynez Valley, the Ranch was the Reagan family's private retreat for the rest of Ronald's life--a place to both chill out from their very-public lives and also entertain guests.

Thus, what makes Santa Barbara special is best said on a Reagan Ranch Center website:
    . . .Just as Monticello and Mount Vernon convey the distinctive personalities of Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, Rancho del Cielo uniquely communicates much about Ronald Reagan that could not be readily gleaned from other sources. . .
    . . .
    . . . If you want to understand Ronald Reagan, says former First Lady Nancy Reagan, then go to the Ranch. . .
    (Source of quotes + more info on Ranch: http://www.santabarbara.com/points_o..._ranch_center/)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    UCSB girls are easy...

nuff said
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    UCSB girls are easy...

nuff said
    So, you've met Sheila?
    What would RJ do?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    So, you've met Sheila?
    No.. it was monica from iv... i think

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    I have been to Santa Barbara numerous times and I never saw the difference from San Luis Obispo except it was bigger, next to the beach, and was more upscale.

So it's only well-known for it's weather and beauty?

I know they have the college night life, beach, lifestyle shopping center in their downtown, an open-air mall, and a weed store.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Saint Barbara is the patron saint of the military and cops

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Saint Barbara is the patron saint of the military and cops
    That's why I liked it! It wasn't the beautiful scenery, proximity to hiking, gorgeous architecture, wonderful restaurants, and amazing shopping, it was because Saint Barbara is the patron saint of the military! Duh.

Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    . . . So it's only well-known for it's weather and beauty?
    . . .
    urban19, I took a little time to explain what else Santa Barbara is known for, and your question indicates that you did not read it:
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showp...81&postcount=3

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well.....

I've never been there (yet)...but I've never heard a really bad thing about the place and would live there sight unseen under the right conditions. How's that for a reputation? How many places would you live in, sight unseen?

Others:
    Portland Oregon
    Montpelier Vermont
    Burlington Vermont
    Corvallis Oregon
    Victoria British Columbia

I wish I had made this it's own thread now....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I just visited Santa Barbara for the first time last week and completely fell in love! Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera and only have a handful of pictures of myself drinking wine.

I can't wait to visit again and to get to know more of coastal CA.

The Spanish architecture. The mountains. The bay with the Channel Islands on the horizon. The wine. What isn't to love?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I just visited Santa Barbara for the first time last week and completely fell in love! Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera and only have a handful of pictures of myself drinking wine.

I can't wait to visit again and to get to know more of coastal CA.

The Spanish architecture. The mountains. The bay with the Channel Islands on the horizon. The wine. What isn't to love?
    Are you crazy!?!?!?! I hereby move to hand you a suspension of your Cyburbia privileges. Can I get a second?

Seriously, SB is a special place. I attended a Cal APA conference there years ago. I had pictures...but they are in a land fill....in Idaho. [image] special finger [/img]
    What would RJ do?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Hahaha! Sorry RJ. I am not a big camera person. MW is usually in charge of "capturing the moment". I prefer to take everything in and remember it how I remember it - regardless of how it actually was. And let me tell you, after visiting 4 vineyards, Santa Barbara was the prettiest city ever.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Enough about this winery and vineyard talk. Did you get to macy*s?
    What would RJ do?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    We actually drove by Macy's and I asked our DD to stop so MW and I could snap a photo, but our DD was starving and said we would do it after we ate.
    Blasted drunkies! We forgot all about it!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2007

The fam and I love SB. We love the downtown and State Street corridor. My wife did an architecture tour as a part of the recent Cal APA conference there, and she said it was neat to hear the history behind some of the more historic buildings in the downtown. SB offers a lot to do in such a short distance. The Downtown with state street is regarded as one of the "great streets" in the US. Outside of the downtown, SB has a beautiful harbor and pier with plenty of seafood offerings and plenty of beautiful beaches and walking paths that take you from the harbor to pier to other points south into Montecito (think Oprah).

The surrounding hillsides are beautiful have some great vineyards. Beyond the hillsides is the Los Padres National forest with some great camping opportunities within a short 20 minute drive. What's not to like about it?

Registered
    May 2004
    What isn't to love?
    Home and rental prices? The fact that service workers are forced to live either a 45 minute commute or three to a bedroom? But yeah- other than that it's pretty awesome. I would have liked to stay there after graduating but couldn't afford to.

Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf
    UCSB girls are easy...
    No comment.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    We actually drove by Macy's and I asked our DD to stop so MW and I could snap a photo, but our DD was starving and said we would do it after we ate.
    Blasted drunkies! We forgot all about it!
    I should take my pic in front of the Macy's in Downtown Toledo! I can recall driving into town on Front Street for the first time (27 years ago? god I'm getting old!) and thinking "Holy Crap! There is a Macy's in Downtown Toledo?" Sure enough it was an abandoned store. Story of my life.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Home and rental prices? The fact that service workers are forced to live either a 45 minute commute or three to a bedroom? But yeah- other than that it's pretty awesome. I would have liked to stay there after graduating but couldn't afford to.
    I agree the real estate is a bit unobtainable for the majority of people. According to Trulia, the average home listing is $1.7M and the median is over $600k. The nearby community of Montecito has an average listing of $5.5M and a median of $1.5M. Insanity. Still, I would love to live there if it were a realistic possibility.

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I should take my pic in front of the Macy's in Downtown Toledo! I can recall driving into town on Front Street for the first time (27 years ago? god I'm getting old!) and thinking "Holy Crap! There is a Macy's in Downtown Toledo?" Sure enough it was an abandoned store. Story of my life.
    Isn't the old downtown Macy's now the LaSalle building? I use to live there. I guess that makes me a Cyburbia Super Star. I'll be signing autographs in SLO next spring. Bring your camera.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Isn't the old downtown Macy's now the LaSalle building? I use to live there. I guess that makes me a Cyburbia Super Star. I'll be signing autographs in SLO next spring. Bring your camera.
    The very same.... On behalf of planners everywhere: "We're Not Worthy! We're Not Worthy!"
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    Hahaha! Sorry RJ. I am not a big camera person. MW is usually in charge of "capturing the moment". I prefer to take everything in and remember it how I remember it - regardless of how it actually was. And let me tell you, after visiting 4 vineyards, Santa Barbara was the prettiest city ever.
    As an old (and oft "influenced") paddling buddy used to say "the best photos are taken on the template of the mind...man!" Indeed. I like pics, but I gotta say, the digital world is so saturated with images, I sometimes like just giving up and enjoying myself.

The wife and her sis went to Santa Barbara a year and a half ago and had a blast. (neither one are named Sheila or Monica, FWIW). I've never been. My southern California excursions center on Irvine (yuck) and San Diego (wonderful).
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I used to love stopping in SB for a snack and then driving the 154 (great view) on my way to SLO. It's a fantastic, albeit expensive, city.

Registered
    May 2004
    I definitely miss SB. I even miss I.V.(also known as H.I.V.). My definite number one place I would live if I could afford to live comfortably there. After scoping out this thread earlier today I've been daydreaming of SB ever since. Santa Barbara freakin rocks.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Santa Barbara County civil service exam
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 24 Nov 2009, 5:28 PM
  2. Hello from Santa Barbara
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Sep 2009, 10:50 PM
  3. Eric from Santa Barbara, CA
    Introduce Yourself