Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Loss of agricultural land

Registered
    Oct 2009

Loss of agricultural land

I am seeking views on whether or not building a house and associated access and outbuildings on a rural lot (say 40 hectares) means the land is removed from primary production, just reduced in potential output, or there is no change and nothing to worry about. My view is that if the 40 hectares was previously part of a larger farm it would have been farmed more intensively than in future when it is simply a house on a rural lifestyle lot, no longer a farm

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Each region establishes its threshhold for what is "agricultural." On a case-by-case issue, land down to 10 hectares can be productive. But many other 10 hectare lots will not be productive. The question then is where does one place that threshhold. What makes sense for the region as a whole often does not appear rational to an individual.

     
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    We use the often subjective criteria of whether an undersized farm lot is still an "economically viable enterprise." Smooth lot lines and a predictable polygon shaped residential lot ensures the most efficient operation of the actual agricultural land. Working in a predominantly rural landscape I have no problem with saying you can build one house on an agricultural lot. Upon severance of the dwelling lot, the agricultural lands should be sterilized through zoning to prohibit dwellings in the future.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Dec 2008, 10:29 AM
  2. Value of agricultural land
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 27 Jul 2006, 2:19 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 31 Jan 2005, 3:15 PM
  4. Agricultural land conversion
    Land Use and Zoning