Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Online submission for recommendation letter

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

Online submission for recommendation letter

how does this process actually work?

My professor told me I should create a credentials file through career services at my university so she can send them the letter and they will send them out to schools.
    do you think the career office will help me with online submissions as well? I think the letter has to be submitted by the recommender for online submission?

It doesn't seem like there is much the career office could do for online ones. My understanding is that, for most schools at least, when you submit your application it will email the recommender a link to a form to fill out and copy and paste their letter into.

The part that is bugging me is that you have to submit the application before it will email them the form. I am not actually taking the GRE until November 5th (yes I realize I am pushing it), so I won't be able to submit the application until late November.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally posted by jhawkins View post
    It doesn't seem like there is much the career office could do for online ones. My understanding is that, for most schools at least, when you submit your application it will email the recommender a link to a form to fill out and copy and paste their letter into.

The part that is bugging me is that you have to submit the application before it will email them the form. I am not actually taking the GRE until November 5th (yes I realize I am pushing it), so I won't be able to submit the application until late November.
    oh..wow...are you serious? so does it mean my recommenders cannot submit their letters online until I submit the completed application?

can someone verify this based on past experience? I don't know why the schools would not email the form if the application is not yet submitted. thanks!!
    Last edited by krbxtigerz; 22 Oct 2009 at 3:24 PM.

I don't believe this was the case with NYU, although I did not have my people submit it online and opted instead to send the letter as a hard copy version. I'm pretty sure with the NYU application you just needed to enter the contact information of the person and then choose online or hard copy. If you chose online I think at that point they would send the email not, after you submit. That doesn't make sense to me. Also, if you are concerned and can't find the instructions for this within the application material you should contact the school. As another option, I would think, that unless otherwise specified, you could submit the recommendations as a hard copy and mail them to the school when you send your other supporting materials, such as transcripts, just to be safe.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by krbxtigerz View post
    oh..wow...are you serious? so does it mean my recommenders cannot submit their letters online until I submit the completed application?

can someone verify this based on past experience? I don't know why the schools would not email the form if the application is not yet submitted. thanks!!
    Call/email the department. They will know, and you will get the right answer.

It really depends on the school. Some kick out an email to your recommenders before you complete the application, some do not until you actually submit it. I agree that the latter is a ridiculous way of going about it, since usually you submit the application last.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I'm using a website (www.interfolio.com) to manage all my letters of recommendation. It seems like most schools want your recommenders to directly send their letters, though. I'm having to email each school individually and ask them if they will accept my letters through this site (haven't gotten a response back from any of the schools yet either, lol). I only signed up for it because it seems like it would be easier then getting all my recommenders to individually send letters to each school.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by aStoryTold View post
    I'm using a website (www.interfolio.com) to manage all my letters of recommendation. It seems like most schools want your recommenders to directly send their letters, though. I'm having to email each school individually and ask them if they will accept my letters through this site (haven't gotten a response back from any of the schools yet either, lol). I only signed up for it because it seems like it would be easier then getting all my recommenders to individually send letters to each school.
    The schools can't force you to use the online recommednation letter system rather than a physical letter being sent by the letter. They are much more flexible about this than they often appear to be.

Harvard - states that if your recommender is not technologically adept and prefers to send a physical letter of recommendation that is ok by them

Penn- if there is no other option, they apparently will accept letters from the dossier services

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 01 Feb 2013, 1:33 AM
  2. Letter of recommendation: examples?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Dec 2010, 12:59 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Nov 2009, 2:35 PM
  4. Letter of recommendation
    Career Development and Advice