Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Professional help needed for building up good resume and a work portfolio.

Registered
    Aug 2009

Professional help needed for building up good resume and a work portfolio.

Hi,

I need some professional help for building up my resume and design portfolio. I would appreciate any recommendations for any professional resume writing services specializing in the field of Architecture and Urban Planning.

Thanks

Registered
    Aug 2009
    I was bummed at my latest interview when they told me they weren't allowed to look at samples of my work! Not sure how you get to know someone in 20min...

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I have had HR persons say that you can tell in less than 5 minutes if an applicant is a hire...I try to have a second "talk" with the candidate later.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    After being taught in school the importance of a strong portfolio, I spent many hours creating mine. Well, after all these years I am now in my sixth planning position and have interviewed for countless others. I have NEVER once had anyone ask to see work samples or my portfolio. I still keep samples of my best work handy, just in case. But, the only time I have even had an opportunity to show my portfolio was after an interview and I said that I had brought it so I might as well show it to them.

As a manager I have found that I often am looking for a "best fit" rather than the ultimate qualifications. Great previous work does not make for a great hire.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Are you enrolling in a school program or are you graduating from one? There are no resume writing services specifically for architecture or planning, although there are reference books for engineering resumes. I recommend looking at posted resumes on AIA, ASLA, etc. Both of these sites also have examples of portfolios.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2009
    thanks! though i was under the impression that if you want to apply for a planning position with a design background, you need a portfolio to show your skills.

As a matter of fact, lot of consultancy firms who specialize in architecture/urban design projects, expect fresh candidates to bring their design portfolios. Should you not have one when you are applying for intern/entry level position??

Anyone having such experience??

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Professional references: send with resume?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Jun 2011, 2:26 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Apr 2009, 10:40 AM
  3. Online portfolio or resume?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Jun 2007, 10:19 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Dec 2004, 10:52 PM