Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cloudy with a Chance of Planning

Registered
    Nov 2002

Cloudy with a Chance of Planning

Has anyone seen the movie (very loosely) based on the children's book Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? I saw it this weekend with the boy and was surprised to see the urban planning themes. It seems that, like Wall-E, they wanted to make some points about placemaking.

Basically, the movie takes place on an island in the Atlantic that is in the USA. It is/was a major sardine exporter until the sardine industry hits hard times (apparently people realize sardines are gross). The place experiences a downturn typical of places where the main industry goes bust. The mayor tries to revitalize the place with historic tourism based on the sardine industry, and then they try again with tourism based on the fact that it rains food. I'm not sure what the message is at the end but I think the idea is that tourism is gimmicky.

Not a strong planning message but enough to keep me awake.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes....

Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    Has anyone seen the movie (very loosely) based on the children's book Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? I saw it this weekend with the boy and was surprised to see the urban planning themes. It seems that, like Wall-E, they wanted to make some points about placemaking.

Basically, the movie takes place on an island in the Atlantic that is in the USA. It is/was a major sardine exporter until the sardine industry hits hard times (apparently people realize sardines are gross). The place experiences a downturn typical of places where the main industry goes bust. The mayor tries to revitalize the place with historic tourism based on the sardine industry, and then they try again with tourism based on the fact that it rains food. I'm not sure what the message is at the end but I think the idea is that tourism is gimmicky.

Not a strong planning message but enough to keep me awake.
    I agree with what you say...plus Mr. T is really a good guy, just misunderstood
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Mar 2012, 3:16 AM
  2. If you had a second chance...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Mar 2011, 2:20 PM
  3. Do I have a chance?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6