Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Work experience between MUP and an MBA or MSRED [was: Career question]

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

Work experience between MUP and an MBA or MSRED [was: Career question]

This might not be a new topic here but I thought I could ask...

I am planning to get my MUP first and then work for several years either in the non-profit sector or the private sector that is related to real estate. After working, I really would like to pursue a degree in MBA or MSRED for better opportunities in the future. I know a lot of people said it'd be a waste of money to get MBA or MSRED when you already have MUP, but putting the financial issue aside, is this case not likely? I wish I can get a MUP/MBA dual degree or MSRED instead of pursuing MUP and MBA/MSRED separately, but I doubt I will be able to get into programs with dual degrees or MSRED since I am a recent graduate from college and I lack the experience that they want. Is there anybody who has taken this step or is thinking about it?

I also want to note that I am in a special situation in which I have to apply to grad schools for next year due to personal issues.......it's kind of complicated to explain...If this wasn't the case, I would take different steps...but I think I would really enjoy learning about urban planning in school and it'd be very helpful in many ways when I pursue my career in real estate in the future.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    i started my MSRED 16 months after finishing my undergrad, which means i applied about 6 months after my undergrad. not a very long period at all. it's only a problem if you're dead set on a place like MIT or USC.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally posted by The District View post
    i started my MSRED 16 months after finishing my undergrad, which means i applied about 6 months after my undergrad. not a very long period at all. it's only a problem if you're dead set on a place like MIT or USC.

oh really? that's just like my current situation. Where did you go for your MSRED?
    I'm not dead set on places like MIT and USC...and I'm willing to know which otherschools are possible to get in haha

Registered
    Nov 2005
    i went to university of denver.

the number of MSRED programs is proliferating, which i believe is a good thing. when i was looking for one, there were less than ten, now there appears to be at least twice that many, and the number is expected to grow, especially on the state school (read: less expensive) side. however, the current real estate downturn has reportedly reduced interest in these programs, which is probably in your favor as the programs should be less competitive.

i can't really speak to admissions, since i haven't seen your resume, but your best bet is to contact admissions department where you want to attend, or use linked in to find alumni of schools you'd like to attend and contact them with questions.

one other thing--as the number of programs grows, so do the opportunities to find one that fits you just right. mine was heavy on the finance and construction, and less so on the economics and planning (which i already had). some are simply a rehash of finance principles. others try to cover everything from planning to construction to business management, which can be really great for someone who feels they need a more holistic treatment of the subject. point is, you should be working backwards by determining the career you want and then picking schools that provide those skills.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally posted by The District View post
    i went to university of denver.

the number of MSRED programs is proliferating, which i believe is a good thing. when i was looking for one, there were less than ten, now there appears to be at least twice that many, and the number is expected to grow, especially on the state school (read: less expensive) side. however, the current real estate downturn has reportedly reduced interest in these programs, which is probably in your favor as the programs should be less competitive.

i can't really speak to admissions, since i haven't seen your resume, but your best bet is to contact admissions department where you want to attend, or use linked in to find alumni of schools you'd like to attend and contact them with questions.

one other thing--as the number of programs grows, so do the opportunities to find one that fits you just right. mine was heavy on the finance and construction, and less so on the economics and planning (which i already had). some are simply a rehash of finance principles. others try to cover everything from planning to construction to business management, which can be really great for someone who feels they need a more holistic treatment of the subject. point is, you should be working backwards by determining the career you want and then picking schools that provide those skills.
    Thanks for your input! It seems like many schools require about 2~3 years of experience.....I wish I had an education background in planning....but my school did not have an urban planning major.... Do you think having the planning background helped you for MRED and the related jobs you've had?? I think I'm leaning more towards getting my masters in urban planning first since it'd be rather easier for me to get into grad schools in urban planning.....also I want to do really well while I'm in grad school to make up for my not-so-great GPA as an undergraduate....so it can help me later when I apply for MRED or MBA......and I'd be at a better place in terms of landing a job related to real estate/planning after MUP. It's good to hear that the # of MRED programs are increasing...I'll have more choices by the time I actually apply for schools : )

Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker~
    Please use descriptive thread titles in the Professional forums. Thread title edited. Thanks and carry on.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

anyone else?

Is there anyone else (MUP grad, current MUP student, or prospective MUP student) who is doing or thinking about this path?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Apr 2012, 3:55 PM
  2. MUP vs career experience
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 11 Dec 2010, 8:22 PM
  3. Work experience
    Student Commons
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 13 Apr 2010, 12:19 PM