Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Duration of congestion as performance measures

Registered
    Oct 2009

Duration of congestion as performance measures

Reviewing agencies with duration of congestion based performance measures (such as speed thresholds on highways) it seems most have the performance measures, but lack policy to implement the standard. Is anyone aware of any agencies (State DOTís, Regional Planning Organizations) that have duration of congestion based performance measures with implementing policy?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm not sure what your are trying to measure, the peak hour duration or the LOS?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Oct 2009
    We are trying to find agencies with the duration of peak hour congestion as a highway MOE with implementing policy. We've found agencies that measure duration of congestion, but none that have policy to implement specific duration of congestion based performance measures on highways.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Peak hour can change both in terms of location and in time. This is particularly true in urban areas where there are many 'Edge Cities' (Multi-nuclii) or where you may have a huge shift-change operation such as an auto factory or a enormous hospital campus. How would this factor in things such as off-peak congestion generators such as sports stadiums? Is this measurement apllied to transportation difined as car traffic or does it include frieght or transit? I guess there are many interesting questions that this measurement brings up. I have a feeling that many agencies are begining to explore these concepts and will have a different approach that they believe will be best.

This is very topical. MOE is likely to become more important with the new transportation bill. How it will be shaped in its final form is anyones guess. In my area congestion is not our highest priority. Our artierials are massive in comparison to what I've seen elsewhere, and our freeway network, while not the best, is adequete for the most part (though there are many peak-hour bottlenecks). We are much more impacted by trade barriers (both international and domestic), safety concerns, public transport, and pavement conditions.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 11 Jul 2007, 3:31 PM
  2. Duration advice?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 May 2006, 7:50 PM
  3. Measures of Slackdom - AIB ZmanPlan
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 18 May 2005, 12:16 PM