Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Saving materials for AICP CM audit

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Saving materials for AICP CM audit

When the CM program arrived, AICP members were advised to keep all the materials and notes from seminars and sessions where they earned credits, in the event of a random audit. I'm finding those materials take up a LOT of space, and I'm not really referring to them in my day-to-day work.

Are you keeping physical evidence of your AICP CM credits for an audit?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I am, until I get official notification of acceptance of my hours.

I did the same thing with the CPDP program as well. Kept the materials until my certificates arrived.

As far as the space they take up, not too bad...plus it's some of the only paper files I keep in my office....99% of my stuff is archived electronically. I hate paper.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jan 2006
    What materials? I'm going to say the 99.9% of everything I do is over the web. I'm not going to print out a copy of the presentation on the off chance they audit me. As for notes, the day I find a really intriguing session that it note worthy, I might take some. I don't anticipate that day anytime soon.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Um, yeah... I have it all filed somewhere...

Actually much of what I have done consisted of regional APA conferences, other "official" events, and podcasts. In the first 2 cases the events are well archived elsewhere. In the case of the podcasts, well, I did listen to them. What else can I do to document?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Random audit? Huh oh. If they audit me I'm hosed. I never kept a thing.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ditto RJ. At many of the events I have attended there is nothing to keep. I have seen a few sessions where there was a sign-in sheet, which I sometimes remembered to fill out. I stated I was there. If they don't believe me, let them prove otherwise.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Audit? Heck no. Most of my credits came through free sources. I don't have much to audit. Can they tell I have been listening to the Tuesdays at APA on their website?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Random audit? Huh oh. If they audit me I'm hosed. I never kept a thing.
    Same here.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm.....

No worries here, all of my credits came from paid seminars and conferences. Receipts kept here in the office are my proof and since I can keep track online. It really is APA/AICP's fault that I don't keep a paper file See, I knew I could turn this around on APA/AICP if I tried hard enough
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I think I have materials from the classes I've attended. Handouts, notes, CD-ROM's, etc. I usually keep that stuff for awhile, so I'd probably be OK. Could certainly contact the registrar at those classes to confirm I paid and attended.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I filled in for my boss at a recent conference. I gave myself an hour of CM as speaker. The list of speakers at the CM web site did not list me. I could get a notarized statement from my boss, one from the conference organizer, a photo of me presenting...or I could do nothing.

I chose the latter. Come and get me; you will have to pry that hour from my cold, dead hands.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. AICP Review materials available
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Mar 2009, 2:50 PM
  2. AICP study materials??
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Jan 2009, 11:01 AM
  3. AICP study materials for November 06 test.
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 14 Nov 2006, 2:56 AM
  4. AICP study materials available
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Jul 2006, 10:51 AM