Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Suggestions for GIS exhibit

Registered
    Aug 2005

Suggestions for GIS exhibit

This September our department will be exhibiting GIS materials in our City Hall Gallery Space.

We are in the initial planning stages and I'm looking for ideas or suggestions of maps, exhibits, or information we can display.

We will include standard information on GIS and some standard maps e.g. Fire responses, homeownership, flood maps, tree canopy. I've suggested mapping some public health data.

I've also suggested reaching out to the community's young folk and working with them on a GIS/Mapping project that can be displayed.

Any suggestions for other interesting maps or GIS materials?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Building footprints. Since i was a kid, I always thought it is cool when you could identify your house, garage, school, etc. To make this type of graphic "pop" even more, I would use a very very thin grey outline, and use a solid hatch. Add a drop shadow that would very according to the elevation of each structure. The elevation would probably be in the attributes table. If you don't have the GIS shapefiles, fire insurance maps would probably include footprints.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

     
    Registered
    Mar 2010

GIS Data in Google Earth

If you can get a hold of a media projector, why not try throwing some GIS data into Google Earth as a KML. I've always found that even the most mundane data looks more interesting in a 3D environment.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Oh yeah.....

Map the location of all sex offenders within your community....that always makes a big impression

Rank them according to the level of their offense Red, Yellow and Black.....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Map the location of all sex offenders within your community....that always makes a big impression

Rank them according to the level of their offense Red, Yellow and Black.....
    Egads! I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My favorite GIS maps is showing the gaps in between or overlapping some level of service/buffer zones.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We also have some maps on display in our offices and the ones that seem to grab peoples' attention most often are the ones with lots of different colors... People love the pretty colors! Especially ones that have a lot of white space and then something in the middle with many other colors (maybe the color-coded land uses of one town surrounded by other towns shown in white).

Some of the more interesting maps that we've had up are ones showing Native-American points of interest, historic points, natural plant areas, watersheds...
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Book suggestions
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jul 2009, 6:35 PM
  2. Vancouver - suggestions
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16