Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Halloween

Registered
    Jul 2002

Halloween

What are you going to be this Halloween? He is my idea so far, simple but stupid.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    What are you going to be this Halloween? He is my idea so far, simple but stupid.
    Blinkin and Rabbi Tuckman are possibilities too.

“Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001

The mullet look...

This guy looks scary. I might model my costume after him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00458 (2).jpg  
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I don't do anything for Halloween other than pass out candy.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't do anything for it - NO party, NO candy, NO costume, NO nothing.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ha!

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I don't do anything for it - NO party, NO candy, NO costume, NO nothing.
    You the old guy that turns off his lights and won't answer the door, no matter how many times I knock on it???

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    You the old guy that turns off his lights and won't answer the door, no matter how many times I knock on it???
    No, I will leave my lights on, but I would not hear you because I live on the second floor of my apt building with a street level security door.

What type of Addams Family style stunt would be fun to pull ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We'll be trick-or-treating in NYC at the international chocolate show! I'll be bringing my pillowcase from the hotel to fill will lots of delicious chocolate.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'll be going to my cousin's wedding that day. Invitation said to where a costume. No idea what I'll be, I generally don't do costumes.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I'll be going to my cousin's wedding that day. Invitation said to where a costume. No idea what I'll be, I generally don't do costumes.
    Heh. I'm recalling a contra dance many years back where almost everyone wore a costume. One guy didn't. He looked, well, like he'd gone to the wrong event.

Go get you one of those T-shirts reading THIS IS MY COSTUME, and you'll be just close enough.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    This will be our first Halloween in our house. There aren't too many young kids in the neighborhood so I don't know how many trick-or-treaters we will actually get but I will have plenty of candy corn, circus peanuts, black licorice, and pennies to hand out!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I doubt we'll get so much as a single trickortreater at our abode (we live on a fairly busy street) but we will be taking Junior into the neighborhood for tricks or treats.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We are going to an awards banquet but I am doing the costume thing the night before with a bang as the woman that gets murdered at a murder mystery gathering.

Wearing some god horrid brides maid gown with a train *eye roll* throw on some opera length gloves, feather boa, over the top bling jewelry and I will be a "starlet".
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We don't bother buying candy for the kids, 'cause we rarely get trick-or-treaters. There are no street lights (or sidewalks) on my road, which tends to discourage people from walking around. Most of the young 'uns around here go to Halloween events, anyway.

We've been invited to a friend's party this weekend, and while some people will show up in costume, I probably won't bother.

I like dandy_warhol's plan. Yum!

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Halloween parties: alcohol, candy, and crazy outfits? Yes, please. Any ideas for a cheap, funny couples costume? (BTW, I have no shame... the more embarrassing the better )

Registered
    Jun 2009
    My wife and I went to some friends' Halloween party last weekend. I went as "Richard Simmons if he looked like he actually worked out" and wifey went as "Nurse Goodbody". I faked "injury" several times.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    We'll be trick-or-treating in NYC at the international chocolate show! I'll be bringing my pillowcase from the hotel to fill will lots of delicious chocolate.
    I was at a job fair in the Lower East Side last year on Halloween evening. I made it to mid town around 830pm when things started getting a little interesting. The tourists were going crazy snapping photos of people in costume This year we might be in Boston since RT has a uni open house to attend and I haven't decided whether or not to go up on Saturday or Sunday.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004

Costume idea

(This is my brother)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This topic seems to surface every year around late October. Mmmmm......

Same responses as last surfacing.....

First wife (Cynthia) was born on Halloween. That may explain some things. This Bear was never much of a costume person. Going to a party tomorrow night. Katie is going as "frumpy housewife". I am going as "Michigan fan". Oh wait, even if it wasn't Halloween I would dress that way. Go blue!

I did construct a somewhat unique costume a fair number of years ago. I was winner of BEST COSTUME at that party. My costume?

I was a tampon.

Don't worry.....not a used version.

Without the string (a piece of rope) and the plastic wrap that proclaimed the brand name, I could have been mistaken for a water heater.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    ... I am going as "Michigan fan". Oh wait, even if it wasn't Halloween I would dress that way. Go blue!

I did construct a somewhat unique costume a fair number of years ago. I was winner of BEST COSTUME at that party. My costume?

I was a tampon.

Don't worry.....not a used version.

Without the string (a piece of rope) and the plastic wrap that proclaimed the brand name, I could have been mistaken for a water heater.
    Thanks for the gratuitous reference to THE Ohio State University Marching Band.

Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008
    (1) Popped in, saw JNA's Places with Halloween Themed Names.

(2) Title got me more enthusiastic than a witch doing the broom dance--so much so that I took off without reading it.

(3) Flew straight to the image of my favor-ite Halloween themed coffee house, just 10 minutes down the street.

(4) Returned--JNA meant geographic places!

(5) That coffee house's the cat's meow, so I'm putting it up here.

Have 2 on me and a Happy Halloween!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We ended up with a grand total of 21 children at our house on Saturday Trick-or-Treating. I think I bought enough candy for 10x that so the last few kids who showed up each got multiple handfuls.

I guess that's a pretty good number of children considering we have no sidewalks or streetlights (though there are always people out walking the neighborhood at all hours of the day?) and the median age in my area is probably pushing 70-years-old.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2009
    We had probably about 5 groups of trick-or-treaters and a total of about 20 kids. Actually not bad for our neighborhood. I remember a couple years where we had almost nobody, like maybe 1 group.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2006
    We were out at the country house for the weekend, nobody stopped by. Don't know if anyone came to the city house, but at least nobody tricked us. We had a few years where we'd get egged.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Halloween haul
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 09 Nov 2013, 12:04 AM
  2. Halloween costumes..
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 01 Nov 2010, 11:35 AM
  3. The Cost of Halloween