Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Radio Stations

Registered
    May 2004

Radio Stations

I need to find new radio stations to listen to over the interwebs. What are your favorite local (or non-local) radio stations that I probably do not know about. You know- the kind of station that plays an eclectic mix of things (my current favorite is kexp). If the station you are about to suggest is on a constant rotation of Smashing Pumpkins and/or Little Wayne please go away from my thread.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I don't listen to radio over the internet much, but when I did, I enjoyed KCRW's "Morning Becomes Eclectic" program which airs M-F, 9-noon and features live performances. I also enjoyed KGSR when I lived in Austin and they have streaming radio on their website.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

????

Radio? What is this radio you speak of??

Buy a Zune or Ipod dude

(The old guy giving the young guy "hip" advice)
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I will barge into your thread, only to provide those who would be interested with a cool internet station. It is called Hy Lit. It originates from Philly. What is cool (to us olde dudes) are the radio station jingles from yesteryear that they continually broadcast, between the oldies.

Takes me back, it does.

Hijack over.

Love ya.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Radio? What is this radio you speak of??

Buy a Zune or Ipod dude

(The old guy giving the young guy "hip" advice)
    Well if you must know - this is for my iphone that enables me to play pretty much any radio station in the world that I want so long as there is an internet stream. Most every radio station has an internet stream nowadays. I've started trying to expand my musical horizons while at work and in the car.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    For years, my favorite Internet radio station has been Radio Paradise (http://www.radioparadise.com). From Wikipedia:

Radio Paradise is a popular and pioneering Internet radio station that defines itself as "eclectic online rock radio". The channel differs from most FM channels and other Internet stations in that the music played is not limited to any specific genre but instead represents great variety. Radio Paradise mostly plays different styles of pop and rock music, but occasionally also everything from jazz to classical to electronic music and world music. All of the styles are DJ-mixed. Radio Paradise is a for-profit business. Rather than selling their service or running commercials, they financially support the station through donations, merchandise and purchases via on-line stores.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    For years, my favorite Internet radio station has been Radio Paradise (http://www.radioparadise.com). From Wikipedia:
    Thats what I'm talking about.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen View post
    I also enjoyed KGSR when I lived in Austin and they have streaming radio on their website.
    I'll second the KGSR recommendation.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Christian Hate Radio!

Wisconsin has these in abundance. Both Catholic and Protestant. The sad thing about these supposedly christian stations is, they have no idea how hateful and nasty they are.

I have the catholic Clearchannel as a preset, and all of the FM2 band for when I travel set up for a 1 hour and 35 minute dose of hate. They speak about the kindness of Jesus, but not a one of them have ever shown another human being kindness nor decency in their life.

I do get a lot of laughs out of it though. Like when they go on about how Dungeons and Dragons is an unholy scourge opening a persons heart and body to the exploitation of evil demons and devils. PRICELESS!

It's also hilarious when they attempt to talk science. Again, it is absolutely PRICELESS to hear someone try to use science to prove that science does not exist!

The 5 minutes of news at the top of the hour is also usually quite informative as to what social conservatives are up to. It's worth listening to.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Nov 2012, 8:55 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 21 Nov 2011, 3:22 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Dec 2007, 9:59 AM
  4. Favorite radio stations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 48