Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

Speaking in general, do you think those individuals who could be classified as gadflies, or persistent vocal critics of government make good legislators or function well in the role of public official when they win an election?
In the private sector, would the stockholders elect a board member or select a CEO that believes the core function of the company is the problem? The answer is yes, but you only give people with that view a few seats on the board. Chances are a car company does not want a board of directors that think the internal combustion engine is outmoded and cars are the killing the planet or someone on the Habitat for Humanity board that thinks building homes for the poor lowers property values and if you cannot afford a market rate home then you should continue to rent and save until you can.

In general its easy to criticize but it is much more difficult to make meaningful change that benefits the masses. On the local level I find most of the time the critic is often uneducated or unrealistic about the world around them.

In my personal experience it seems that economic development is always a political issue at the local level. I can't told you how many critics of the local government I have talked to that think companies would beat down the doors to the city if they only knew we were here. Or if the downtown only had a _________(grocery store, department store, jazz bar, chain restaurant etc) then the entire district would be revitalized.