Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread!

Registered
    Mar 2004

2010 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread!

With only 3 months and 10 days to go before pitchers and catchers report, there's gotta be some nice garbage out there on the forthcoming baseball season!

Let's hear it!

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Rays vs. Braves in the World Series!!!!!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2009
    I love the MLB Hot Stove almost as much as the actual season itself; lots of compelling stuff between free agency, trades, and the publication of prospect lists

Anyways, I'll go on-record with a couple of fearless off-season predictions:

- The Yankees sign Cuban LHP Aroldis Chapman, retain Johnny Damon, but are otherwise very quiet in free agency.
    - Adrian Gonzalez stays put.
    - The Red Sox make a splash with Matt Holliday, leaving a tepid market for Jason Bay who ultimately signs with the Giants.
    - Joe Mauer signs a 7 year, $150 million extension with the Twins.
    - Prince Fielder is traded to the Mets, for a package of Wilmer Flores, Ike Davis, and Reese Havens.
    - The Rays trade Carl Crawford.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I just hope that the Rangers don't trade off all their pitching staff. It's hard enough to get pitchers to come to Arlington anyway, but now that we've got some good depth at the position we have actually been competitive late into the season.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Griffey signed (Mariners) a $2 mil one year deal with incentives...why? Fan Draw?
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am curious as to who the Cubs are going to be able to pawn Milton Bradley off on. Eating a portion of the contract isn't the problem, its paying for his meds.
    Last edited by Whose Yur Planner; 12 Nov 2009 at 2:02 PM.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I am curious as to the Cubs are going to be able to pawn Milton Bradley off on. Eating a potion of the contact isn't the problem, its paying for his meds.
    What kind of potion do they make from contacts? There is some speculation down here that they might try to deal him back to the Rangers since this is the only place that he didn't have significant problems. Texas Manager Ron Washington isn't on the same planet as Lou Piniella when it comes to authoritarian leadership.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    What kind of potion do they make from contacts? There is some speculation down here that they might try to deal him back to the Rangers since this is the only place that he didn't have significant problems. Texas Manager Ron Washington isn't on the same planet as Lou Piniella when it comes to authoritarian leadership.
    It always makes me wonder why teams keep taking chances on this high maintenance players. Is it really worth the off chance that they will keep their head straight long enough to have a good season or two?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I am curious as to who the Cubs are going to be able to pawn Milton Bradley off on. Eating a portion of the contract isn't the problem, its paying for his meds.
    I think Bradley would be a good fit for Texas, Tampa (swap out Burrell), or potentially even Seattle. When he's healthy-- both physically and mentally-- he is a really, really good hitter. If the Cubs pay three-quarters of his freight, any one of these teams can bring him on, hope for the best, and if he misbehaves, cut their losses.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    As a Rangers fan I would not stand by idly and let them become MLB's version of the Buffalo Bills (no offense, Buffalonians).

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Long-time Cardinals fan, here.

I'm really disappointed that the Cards hired Mark McGwire. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, he will man up, hold a press conference, admit what he did, and everyone can move on. Seeing how he's been in hiding for the last few years, though, I don't expect anywhere near that much.

I'm also keeping track of the Matt Holliday free agency. I'm a bit concerned that if the Cards overspend to keep him, they could lose out on resigning Pujols next year -- and that, my friends, would be a travesty.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by danthonyjr View post
    Long-time Cardinals fan, here.

I'm really disappointed that the Cards hired Mark McGwire. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, he will man up, hold a press conference, admit what he did, and everyone can move on. Seeing how he's been in hiding for the last few years, though, I don't expect anywhere near that much.

I'm also keeping track of the Matt Holliday free agency. I'm a bit concerned that if the Cards overspend to keep him, they could lose out on resigning Pujols next year -- and that, my friends, would be a travesty.
    The Cardinals have reached an interesting crossroads. I would tend to disagree that re-signing Holliday could negatively influence future negotiations with Pujols-- in fact, I'm more inclined to believe that Pujols wants to see the team commit big money to another superstar. Regardless, Boras is going to lead Holliday to the highest bidder, which will no doubt be among the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, or Angels (though I'm inclined to believe the Yankees don't actually intend on pursuing a big bat in free agency).

The Cardinals have a $16 million option on Pujols for 2011, which they will obviously exercise. At that point, it becomes a really interesting situation to monitor. He's clearly the best hitter on the planet-- no one else is even close. But, by the time he becomes a free agent, he'll be entering his age-33 season, with a frayed elbow ligament that will eventually require TJ surgery. There has also been rampant speculation that he is older than he claims, which isn't exactly a stretch in light of the "age adjustments" we've seen with other Dominican-born players like Soriano, Tejada, and Guerrero. My best guess is he is probably 2-3 years older, but I have no way to substantiate that, obviously. Anyways, do you want to commit A-Rod-type money to a 33 year old 1st baseman with a bad elbow? The Cardinals don't really have much say in the matter... if Pujols wants to retire a Cardinal, he'll agree to a $150-200 million extension next winter. If he wants to test the market in two years, the Cardinals will lose him. It's really that simple.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

No No No

Rumors are flying concerning Detroit Tiger Curtis Granderson. Teams that are mentioned in the rumors include the Yankees, the Angels, and the Cubs. (Greater) Chicago is his home town, BTW.

No. No. No.

Curtis had an off-season in 2009, sig below average. He is still a great player with super upside. And an inspiration to younger folks.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Who would guess how happy RJ is that
    Giants starter Tim Lincecum, ... made history Thursday when he won baseball's highest pitching honor, the Cy Young Award, for a second consecutive season.

the first player in the 54-year history of the Cy Young Award to capture it in his first two full seasons in the major leagues.

At 25, Lincecum is the youngest NL pitcher to win consecutive Cy Youngs.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNSS1ANJV1.DTL

So the next award is to win a World Series.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Who would guess how happy RJ is.
    I guess wins no longer matter so long as your alphabet-soup numbers are really good. I think Wainwright and Carpenter (but especially Waino) got hosed by a freak.

Hey Los Bravos fans: How you liking that trade now?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I guess wins no longer matter so long as your alphabet-soup numbers are really good. I think Wainwright and Carpenter (but especially Waino) got hosed by a freak.

It's been rare to end up on the short end of a trade...but that one sucks...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005

Thanks for the reminder 'dunker Just think of a starting pitching staff of Hanson, Jurrgins, Vasquez, Hudson, Lowe, Kawakami AND Wainwright - oh well a kid can dream can't they?

Registered
    Apr 2009
    How outrageous for voters to judge pitchers on the basis things they can control, as opposed to things they can't . BTW, Keith Law's interview with the St. Louis ESPN radio affiliate last night was high comedy... Not much intrigue to the Awards season this year, Greinke, Lincecum, Mauer, and Pujols were all pretty clear favorites.

Congratulations to Albert Pujols, STL 1B, on his unanimous selection as NL MVP.

My favorite quote from the 2009 season:

"Albert hits good pitches hard and bad pitches even harder," Bannister said. "When he gets in the batter's box, you start praying. If you don't pray, you think about starting."
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Who would guess how happy RJ is that

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNSS1ANJV1.DTL

So the next award is to win a World Series.
    I am soo torn up about the award, considering he was not lights out towards the end of the season, but the pitching staff was pretty gassed out in September. Knowing Timmy, he probably toked up after he was notified of the award.

In another note, how the hell did the Giants award Brain Saben an extension of his contract? Holly hell. I guess all i can ask is to please, please, bring some bats.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Selig is stepping down!
    Selig is stepping down!

but not till 2012

3 more years of Clueless Bud...

Registered
    Apr 2009

Dumb & Dumber

With the passing of the arb deadline, the Hot Stove season is finally underway. Nothing marks the beginning of free agency quite like Ruben Amaro handing out a three year contract to a declining veteran.

Dumb: Atlanta Braves sign LHP Billy Wagner to a one year, $6.75 mil contract with a vesting option for 2011. Boston Red Sox fans, collectively, say "Thanks for the first round pick."

Dumber: Philadelphia Phillies have reportedly signed INF Placido Polanco to a three year, $18 mil contract with the intention of moving him to 3rd base.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PrahaSMC View post
    Dumber: Philadelphia Phillies have reportedly signed INF Placido Polanco to a three year, $18 mil contract with the intention of moving him to 3rd base.
    This Bear is a Detroit Tiger fan. I was sorry to see Polly hit the bricks for Philly, but not surprised. I expect Ed Jackson to be history, too.

Polly is a solid-to-gold glove second baseman. A move to third, huh? He had been a decent hitter, usually good in the clutch and not striking out very often. He was also a fan favorite.

Oh well.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    bubba, brockton, etc.

Braves trade with yankmees - My first reaction was negative, but I think I like it the more I think about it…

Melky provides some outfield help and a little bit of help with the bat. Don;t know anything about Mike Dunn, I don't think they were going to keep Vazquez beyond next year. We have the makings of an excellent outfielder and I can't imagine we could have gotten as good a return by selling Lowe. I think Lowe will be better this next year. We still need a first baseman, though…

For Christmas, I've been asking for a new warm coat so I can sit through those late games in Fenway Park in October and November 2010

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 64
    Last post: 16 Sep 2014, 8:20 AM
  2. Replies: 295
    Last post: 01 Nov 2013, 10:29 AM
  3. Replies: 272
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 6:30 PM
  4. Replies: 251
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 11:30 AM
  5. Replies: 338