Urban planning community

Thread: World Trade Center

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001

World Trade Center

As its been awfully quiet in here, I just want to extend my hopes and prayers that all the readers/participants in Perry's Cantina and their families are safe in the aftermath of the WTC attack.

As the stories emerge, most people in the NY area either know someone who is still missing or barely escaped or wasn't where they should have been and as a result lived. I'm sure many of you around the country have family and friends in the area, none of whom I hope was directly effected by this tragedy.

I just wanted to extend my best wishes to all of you in this difficult time and to let you know I was thinking of you.

John

Cyburbian Emeritus Perry Norton's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    John - your message is well received. I'm without phrases to use just now. Maybe they'll come afterwhile. Maybe. I'm just glad you wrote; it may have the effect of stimulating others.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I am new to this forum, excuse me if I am replying to the wrong thread. Thank you for your voice of concern. I live on the West Coast and have not been directly affected by the tradgedy, but it is still foremost in everyone's mind. One question I want to address is the re-building of the WTC. I have an idea that I hope to discuss with other planners which is: to site any new development on the site so that on September 11th at 8:45 there is a clear beam of sunlight that is visible from the complex that can be focused through a lens of some sort to strike some monument or sculpture to comemorate this horrible event which has affected so many. It would work like Stonehenge or some kind of modern sundial. Obviously, for something of this nature to be build it must be part of plans from the beginning. I think it would serve an additional purpose which is to make an event that would bring thousands of visitors to the area, and the park/memorial would be a tourist draw throughout the year. Planning this kind of a space should be given serious consideration. I know the space is actually owned by the Port Authority, and therefore indirectly the people of New York City. But the significance of this space to our nation as a whole requires that any building take a much larger perspective than just the immediate replacement of the lost structures. I'm sorry if this reply is mis-placed. I just wanted to share my idea and your title was the closest one I could find in my first venture in this new medium. Thank you.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hello A. Stewart and welcome to Perry's Cantina. I love your idea. my own thought was that the central focus of the rebuilding effort should be a tower/Cleopatra's needle type of affair like the Washington monument which would be higher than the World Trade Center (kind of a stick it to the terrorists statement), with office buildings of lower height intergrated around it (no need to create another target which people would be reluctant to work in anyway.)

Your idea is great and could probably be accomodated in any rebuilding plan, as you say, if intended from the beginning. I suggest you draft up the idea and send it to the NYC Mayor's Office, the City Planning Department and the Port Authority, although I believe the Port Authority sold the buildings and possibly the land some time ago. The statement this kind of annual reminder would make, particulary if the names of those killed were somewhere to be seen, would be a fitting tribute.

Good luck.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Thank you for the reply, John. I like your idea for the pyramid shape. I had thought that if surrounding buildings were too tall to permit light to penetrate at ground level at 8:45AM, perhaps a sort of eye of the needle suspended some distance above the ground might work. If this could be integrated into a pyramid-shaped monument it might work on other aestheic levels as well. Very interesting idea. I agree that people will probably not want to be trapped in a super-highrise anymore. Thank you for the suggestion about notifying the City (although I think I would have to do a lot more research before offering this suggestion as a proposal). Sincerely, Amy Stewart

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Oct 2006, 7:58 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Aug 2002, 8:53 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Jul 2002, 2:10 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Sep 2001, 10:05 AM
  5. World Trade Center Image Gallery
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2