Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Housing and real estate concentration at Rutgers

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

Housing and real estate concentration at Rutgers

How is this concentration at Rutgers?

Would this prepare you well for a career in housing & real estate areas?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

any Rutgers student/grad out there?

any thoughts? : )

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I went to RU and didn't specialize in grad school and had a blast.
    The professors or real estate development are Bob Burchell and David Listokin who both pretty much wrote the book on NJ planning and development, but that was 20+ years ago. If you want to concentrate on NJ development and working in the state it is a good track, but I wasn't prepared as well for working outside of NJ. Don't forget NJ is one of the only states to require a second planning license besides the AICP.

That's about the worst I can say about my time at RU which was wonderful, but real estate development is really an on the ground learned trade not in the classroom.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

not even NYC?

Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    I went to RU and didn't specialize in grad school and had a blast.
    The professors or real estate development are Bob Burchell and David Listokin who both pretty much wrote the book on NJ planning and development, but that was 20+ years ago. If you want to concentrate on NJ development and working in the state it is a good track, but I wasn't prepared as well for working outside of NJ. Don't forget NJ is one of the only states to require a second planning license besides the AICP.

That's about the worst I can say about my time at RU which was wonderful, but real estate development is really an on the ground learned trade not in the classroom.
    how about getting a job in NYC? NJ is pretty close to the city.....lol

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Getting a job in NYC out of Rutgers is definitely possible and a lot of people do it, but the housing/real estate concentration wouldn't necessarily help you much. It definitely seems to be largely NJ-focused, which is great if you want to work in NJ, but it doesn't necessarily translate well to any other states, even NY. It's important to note that NJ has idiosyncratic laws related to these issues, particularly when it comes to affordable housing.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally posted by teofilo View post
    Getting a job in NYC out of Rutgers is definitely possible and a lot of people do it, but the housing/real estate concentration wouldn't necessarily help you much. It definitely seems to be largely NJ-focused, which is great if you want to work in NJ, but it doesn't necessarily translate well to any other states, even NY. It's important to note that NJ has idiosyncratic laws related to these issues, particularly when it comes to affordable housing.
    Do you know what kind of jobs Rutgers students get in NYC?

I don't think I want to live & work in NJ.....

Quote Originally posted by krbxtigerz View post
    Then it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for you to want to go to Rutgers.....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by krbxtigerz View post
    Do you know what kind of jobs Rutgers students get in NYC?

All kinds of jobs. For some things it's probably harder for Rutgers students to get jobs compared to people coming from the schools in NYC, because of their local connections, but the Bloustein school definitely has a really good reputation and in some specialties it's as good as or better than any school in NY. Transportation is the main example.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Jul 2008, 5:34 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Feb 2008, 6:52 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 15 Feb 2006, 8:43 AM
  4. Replies: 37
    Last post: 19 May 2005, 11:35 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last post: 31 Dec 2004, 2:34 PM