Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone (been) in the two-year Ryerson program?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2009

Anyone (been) in the two-year Ryerson program?

As I am considering entering the planning world after a long hiatus in another discipline, has anyone taken--or is anyone taking--the 2 year ryerson planning program and if so is it a good program. And more specifically:

1. do you get to learn a lot of knowledge and skills that you can apply directly to the field, as opposed to more general or theoretical stuff?

2. do you think I will be out of step with the rest of class in the four year program as I have not taken the first two years that they have...is there things I could do to get more up to speed on the material that they have covered and what texts have been used?

I've applied to their 4 year program. I've been trying to find out some information on it as well but no one seems to have any. I don't think that is a good sign. Though I have heard the Chief City Planner for Toronto has a degree from Ryerson.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009
    Hey Sneaker,

Im applying to the 2-year stream for Ryerson as well. There are actually a couple of people on this board who are attending or have graduated from the masters program at Ryerson. My advice would be to do a quick search for Ryerson in this forum.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Sneakers,

I am in Ryerson's MPL program.

1. Ryerson is very applied; very different than UoT.

2. Are you talking about the PLAB and PLAD programs? I am not sure how they are structured. Either way, the MPL program does not have any classes with undergraduate students.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2009

advice?

hey goldeneye,
    did you go into the masters program with a background in planning?
    The reason I am asking is that I am trying to figure out whether the 2 yr undergraduate or the 2r masters program would give me a better foundation and connections to move out into the planning workforce after having been out of my undergrad planning program for so long (15 yrs actually, after which I went to another field)...any suggestions based on your experience thus far?

thanks!

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Hi there,

I am considering the PLAB two-year as well, even though I hold a masters. But my training doesn't include statistics which seems to be a prerequisite for admissions. That's one big reason why I am considering the PLAB, apart from its location being in TO and besides its lower cost compared to the graduate tuition. The MPl looks good, but 'can' I apply without statistics?

In any case, the PLAB looks very hands-on. How's the market/networking?

Thanks!

Registered
    Apr 2009
    with graduate scholarships and TA/RA opportunities, tuition between the PLAB and MPl programs shouldn't be an issue. As a PLAB, you'll be competing with 60-90 undergrad students for VERY limited scholarship and awards funds whereas everyone the current first year of the MPl program received some sort of scholarship/award/grant coming in (I believe, don't quote me on it...)

As for statistics -- you'll likely only need it for one course (first year, second semester Research Methods, and there for only two assignments, which the instructor is happy to help with). If you spend the summer taking a stats course by distance, you should be able to pass the requirements... a good number of students fulfilled their stats requirement this way. I'd encourage you to inquire about it.

What's your master's degree in?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2009

thanks NIck

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 33
    Last post: 24 Aug 2010, 1:41 PM
  2. Is the one year MUD program worth it?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 09 Apr 2010, 7:06 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Jan 2010, 10:16 PM
  4. Ryerson MPl
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Jun 2008, 11:07 AM
  5. One year graduate program?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3