Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Venting from crazy applicant

Venting from crazy applicant

As I stare at my personal statement for the hundredth time, I want to scream “How on earth do you expect me to know the specifics of planning when I haven’t even had a class in it, let alone found a job in it!!!!” Seriously, what are people with no planning classes or experience writing? How on earth do we hope to be admitted when “professional experience” is one if THE determining factors? Ugh!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    When I was in your shoes decades ago, personal statements were not the norm. One big ten college asked for one...I did not apply.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    They aren't expecting you to know everything about planning, afterall you applying to go to school! What things/experiences/education brought you to apply to a planning school? What are you future aspirations? There are many people that apply to grad school after working in the field for a couple of years, but they are typically doing lower level work without a masters or working in a related field or unable to advance. Take a step back, think about what brought you to planning and why you want to apply to that particular school, you'll be fine! Best of Luck!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Quote Originally posted by ToPlanIsMyFuture View post
    As I stare at my personal statement for the hundredth time, I want to scream...Ugh!
    I feel your pain. I wrote a personal history statement that I had to scrap after I showed it to my advisor. While I'm much happier with my current draft, I have to say that hearing that my initial draft essentially sucked was a low point in this application process. I especially wish that all schools were asking for the same thing (trust me, they are NOT).

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm looking forward to that period of time between when applications are completed, and when acceptances start rolling in.

I feel much better today. Thank you for the responses guys

Quote Originally posted by warderjack View post
    I'm looking forward to that period of time between when applications are completed, and when acceptances start rolling in.
    Me too!! After the applications, I am going to wander aimlessly and do every little thing I please. No more resume building, classes, and networking. I'm done!

I might not get in and will need to reapply next year, but I'll deal with it once I'm rejected from my top schools.

If anyone else out there is frustrated with the process and wants to vent, feel free to drop me a line. I might not be able to help, but I'll listen/read

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Mar 2011, 11:06 AM
  2. Local body as applicant
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Sep 2010, 2:09 PM
  3. PhD applicant
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Nov 2009, 11:07 AM