Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread

Thread: I'm back. On weekend limited engagements.

Registered
    Nov 2002

I'm back. On weekend limited engagements.

So, after leaving the planning profession, and with that a long hiatus from Cyburbia and other planning related activities, I have returned to teh Throbbing Brian.

I left planning about two years ago after a prolonged period of realizing that while I am passionate about the ideals of planning, the profession wasn't a good fit. And it only took a decade to realize it. Anyway, I now find it rewarding to scratch the planning itch by being involved in my neighborhood's development concerns, and volunteering and serving on boards for organizations that focus on planning, design, and historic preservation issues.

And while my job keeps me away from the intertubes during the week, I intend to once again involve myself with you guys when I can.

So, cheers. And here's to a another start in wasting time on evenings and weekends.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome back to teh Throbbing Brian !

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    Welcome back to teh Throbbing Brian !
    What he said.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    No offence intended, but I have to ask the question...the skin not thick enough? Not a "...good fit..." doesn't complete the explanation.

In any case, all the best to you and family. Good to see you back.
    Habitual Offender

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Missed you...welcome back. House for sale & trying to figure out if I can relocate to L'ville. (not the one in KY)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    biscuit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Welcome back!!!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Welcome back!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Nice to have you back!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    No offence intended, but I have to ask the question...the skin not thick enough? Not a "...good fit..." doesn't complete the explanation.

In any case, all the best to you and family. Good to see you back.
    No offence taken as that's a perfectly fair question to ask. The Readers Digest answer is that I did enjoy municipal planning, however, I was looking at having to move in order to make that next step up. So between my desire to stay where I am and fairness to my wife and her career, having to move for every promotion was not an attractive option. I moved on to a local engineering firm to do planning for them and found myself getting more and more discouraged as the time passed. The worst was working in communities that had no desire to do anything beyond having a document on the shelf to show the state when they applied for grants. And that was a vast majority of the communities I worked in. That, factored in with the persistent pay issue, and long commute really had me down for a while. As it happened, just as I was getting ready to resign, I was recruited into a new field via the connections I had made over the years.

Believe me, this line of work takes an incredibly thick skin. It also requires me to deal with planners and grumpy neighbors on a regular basis, so that decade of experience wasn't for nothing. Now, not to say that I won't go back eventually, but I'm finding the 60 hour weeks extremely gratifying these days and will stay as long as they'll have me.

Quote Originally posted by kms
    Missed you...welcome back. House for sale & trying to figure out if I can relocate to L'ville. (not the one in KY)
    Well, that'll be a change. I sometimes wish we had bought there back when we were looking. It's a great area.
    Last edited by biscuit; 16 Nov 2009 at 12:51 PM.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 14 Aug 2010, 2:37 PM
  2. Replies: 47
    Last post: 15 Jun 2010, 9:37 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Dec 2009, 4:22 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Apr 2005, 3:15 PM