Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Application resume question

Registered
    Oct 2009

Application resume question

Hi all, I am sure everybody is busy with their applications like I am. My resume is coming together, but I have read lots of contradicting advice concerning its length. Some say that it is acceptable for graduate school resumes to be more than one page. Mine is one and a half. I could compact it with smaller font and less "white space" (deleting the spaces between each entry), but that would make it less reader friendly. Is more than one page ok?
    Also, I have read that you want to include all of your experience whether or not you find it pertinent to the degree you are applying to. This is supposedly to show the committees how you have used your time. I have a year and a half window from '05 to early '06 in which the only jobs I had were one summer job in construction and a holiday job as a mall sales associate. I can't really say anything about the jobs other than how many hours a day I worked to "pay undergraduate expenses." Should I just leave them out and have an empty year and a half or should I include all of my experience?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    It should be one page. If you have outstanding items to mention and no room, put that in your cover letter. I was one page until over 10 years experience. The odd jobs should be no more than one line to fill in time gaps.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Unless the application guidelines dictate the maximum or minimum number of pages, just use your best judgement and include only relevant info. I racked up a bunch of internships in college, and since then it has been hard to just limit my resume to just 2 pages.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Thanks guys. I was able to get it down to one page by deleting a holiday job I only had for two and a half months and eliminating some superfluous info from other jobs/activities.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

about resume submission

It's not required to submit your resume right?

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Every university I am applying requires it. In all my research for schools I don't remember any that didn't.

I may have seen a couple that didn't, but all of mine require it ranging from the ultra selective, to the ones with slightly more favorable acceptance rates. Definitely have one ready.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I'm not 100% sure on the etiquette for schools, but it used to be that for the business world it was one page. This was maybe 5 years ago? Now the general consensuses is that it can be 2 pages as long as there isn't fluff to make it that long. Put what you need to on there, especially if it makes you look good and don't worry too much about length unless they specify. They don't say then they can't fault you.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 05 Jan 2010, 10:06 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 19 Feb 2007, 1:49 PM
  3. Application question
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Feb 2005, 2:28 PM
  4. Application question
    Friday Afternoon Club