Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving 2009

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Thanksgiving 2009

Well, fellow-Cyburbians.......in the good ole' USA, Thanksgiving Day is less than two weeks away. This day has been my favorite holiday for years. The day often includes family, friends, incredible amounts and selections of food.....and a nice 4-day weekend.

This Bear's plans.....

After about 35 years of many folks at my house for the turkey and trimmings, we will have another somewhat quiet Turkey Day. Gone are the days when my parents, my brother, my son.....and all their families enjoyed the big meals that were (mostly) cooked by this Bear.

This year it will be Katie, her sister, and me. Katie's son and sig-other might stop over, probably to fill their plates. The menu will be somewhat similar to the menu when we had the big gathering.....just much smaller portions.

Turkey
    Dressing (I make the best daxx dressing in the world!)
    Mashed Taters
    Sweet Taters
    Salad
    Biscuits
    Pies
    Ice-Box Cake

When my brother was a regular, I would also cook a couple ducks.
    _____

How about you? Plans? Menu? What say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    You're not planning on reveille at 0300 on Friday for the obligatory commercial maneuvers?

Tsk tsk tsk....

Mike

(Neither am I. )

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This year its just me and two friends that don't have families. Traditional turkey, stuffing, yams, taters, cranberries, rolls, etc... oh and pie. there will be pie. Then we are heading down to the bowling alley for the opening of the Holiday Invitational Tournament.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    It's just me and R.T. so I will be cooking a bone in turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, green beans with almonds, and rolls. Haven't figured out what's for dessert yet.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2003
    For 10 years I have volunteered in one our inner city ministries preparing 2,000 + dinners that are delivered T-day.
    I have usually saved personal time so I can take off Mon- Wed to do this.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We had 30+ years gathering as a family at my parents' house (I never missed one, although I tried!) until a few years back. Then I inherited the host position because my house was in the middle of everyone's. This year, after 5 years as host, I have begged for a year off. So we're all off to my brother's house on an island off the coast of Maine for Thanksgiving this year. Hoping for good weather and good food.

The food is a little traditional, a little vegetarian, a little kosher. Mostly about getting the whole extended family together. It is my favorite holiday because its nonsectarian and just about being grateful for all the good things you have.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Was describing The Holiday Horrors: Single Edition to a friend at church. (Gift cards, teenage melt-down, BIL treating me like I'm one of the nieces, nieces treating me like I'm household help, etc.etc.)

She immediately invited me over to their household's multiple-hour, extended, anyone welcome y'all drop in bring whatever event.

It might even be a music jam session, bonus!

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Because this Thanksgiving is less than a month after I started my new position, the gf and I will be staying at home for this Thanksgiving. My gf's sister is coming in on Tuesday so we will have a nice meal for 3: So far the menu includes:

Turkey (havent decided on a whole bird or just a breast)
    Green Bean Casserole
    Stuffing
    Cranberries (in the can shape)
    Mashed Potatoes
    Apple Pie
    Pumpkin Cheesecake
    Rolls
    Ambrosia Salad

I love to cook and growing up Thanksgiving was always a big to-do, so I have continued that with my personal Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving, food, friends and family, and a chance to reflect on the year. I will miss not having a place to volunteer this year, I usually try to help out sometime over the weekend, but with just getting settled it is going to be hard, I may just have do some work over X-Mas, since I cant take any time off yet!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Grandma died last week so the traditional family get togethers are over No one is up to having the whole crew to their home and well of course now that she is gone the four sons are fighting like school boys over the estate so I don't want to have anything to do with any of my family.

We do Christmas eve with the hubsters brothers wife's family (confusing I know) and all their strange drama.

This year for T-day I think we will head over to a friends orphan gathering and join in the gameing fun. As long as there is no family drama I don't care where we go or what we eat.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    Grandma died last week so the traditional family get togethers are over No one is up to having the whole crew to their home and well of course now that she is gone the four sons are fighting like school boys over the estate so I don't want to have anything to do with any of my family.

We do Christmas eve with the hubsters brothers wife's family (confusing I know) and all their strange drama.

This year for T-day I think we will head over to a friends orphan gathering and join in the gameing fun. As long as there is no family drama I don't care where we go or what we eat.
    Sorry to hear about your grandma PG-my condolenses to the family.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Forever we'd all go to my grandma's house, where she'd put together a huge spread. It was my immediate family, my parents, brother, aunts, uncles, cousins.

Then my grandma's health started failing and she really wasn't up to it anymore. So, we'd all meet up at a local restaurant hosting a special Thanksgiving Buffet. There were a few to choose from in my hometown, and they were actually quite crowded with people who didn't want the hassle at home.

But, now that my brother is married with a house, and doesn't live as far away as he used to, they've been hosting a small Thanksgiving at their house in Milwaukee. My parents drive up and spend a couple nights at his place, and I drive over with my daughters just for the day. It is nice to have a new little tradition, now that my brother and I are grown. Last year was the first time we did this, and it was fun. We spent a ton of time all working on a giant jigsaw puzzle after dinner. They didn't have pumpkin pie last year though! Just apple pie. Maybe I'll offer to provide dessert this year.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We're going to the Cowboys game at Jerryworld (aka Cowboys Stadium) in Arlington, TX.

Hubby is thrilled beyond belief. I'm glad I'm not cooking.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    ... They didn't have pumpkin pie last year though! Just apple pie. Maybe I'll offer to provide dessert this year.
    Potlucks are great. (You might not want to get into using a pumpkin you planted and grew, and spices you grated by hand.)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Thanksgiving was a big tradition growing up, going to g'parents and aunts / uncles homes in NC. Now mom goes to one brother's house (and comes to ours for Christmas).
    On Thursday, we have dinner one at Mrs. P's parents house with all her brithers & sisters familes (much like I had growing up with mine). Dinner two is on Friday with the close friends (two other couples and kids). Dinner three is on Saturday with a couple sets of aunts / uncles and cousins. Dinner four is reserved with leftovers and just our small family.
    Mrs. P and I were talking this weekend about these plans and after we got over how hectic it can become, we know we are blessed and very thankful for our friends and family (and soon-to-be full bellies).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2004
    No family plans set yet for me, but we shall see. I'm not as 'close' with my family as others are.

OTOH, I wonder if my favorite local sports bar will be having a good turkey wing lunch special for the Packers @ Lions game.

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We are having our traditonal Thanksgiving dinner: a free range turkey from the Mennonite colony (pricey but oh so good), cornbread desssing, candied yams, green bean casserole and pumpkin bread. I might make a shoo-fly pie, too.

My wife loves Thanksgiving dinner. I cook it. While the turkey is cooking, I diced up the turkey's liver and gizzards and saute them with onions and garlic, for a snack.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Heading back to Buffalo next week. Should be the same as last year...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanksgiving this year will be in California with the missus' family. Or some portion of their family. The dogs will be home alone. We did our own small Thanksgiving yesterday with them and my parents. Turkey, stuffing, potatoes and gravy, green beans, yams, apple-cranberry sauce, cannoli. Had leftovers for lunch.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

My dad is coming down for a south Mississippi thanksgiving.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well.....

Just the local family and maybe a friend or two without relatives in town.

30LB Turkey (gingerly stuffed into the oven)
    Pick up some butter rolls from the local buffet place (they are soooo goood)
    Yams
    Cranberries (in the can shape)- The best!
    Mashed Potatoes
    Various other starches
    and my personal favorite.....Frog Eyed Salad
    Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie, Cherry Pie
    Bottle of Deerfield Ranch DRX
    http://shop.deerfieldranch.com/2001drx.aspx
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    On Saturday I was listening to The Prairie Home Companion and Keillor said something that made me smile because it is so true: "The best pumpkin pie you ever had tastes about the same as the worst pumpkin pie you ever had,"
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I am excited this year. My grandmother, who was diagnosed with lung cancer last Christmas and whom I visited in Memphis during her chemo sessions last spring, is feeling well enough to travel! She and my grandfather are driving up to Nashville and meeting up with my great uncle who is driving from Chattanooga. Then they will all fly to Denver for Thanksgiving.
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I am glad to see some family that I don't normally see every year. They are excited to meet their 9th great-grandchild (ZLad) and we'll be all getting together at my aunt's place int he beautiful Denver neighborhood of Park Hill.
    Then, we're hosting all family on the Saturday after Thanksgiving at my house for a chili buffet and college football. It'll be the first time my granparents have seen my house (and we've been there since 2005).

It should be a good holiday.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Fantastic!

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    I am excited this year. My grandmother, who was diagnosed with lung cancer last Christmas and whom I visited in Memphis during her chemo sessions last spring, is feeling well enough to travel! She and my grandfather are driving up to Nashville and meeting up with my great uncle who is driving from Chattanooga. Then they will all fly to Denver for Thanksgiving.
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I am glad to see some family that I don't normally see every year. They are excited to meet their 9th great-grandchild (ZLad) and we'll be all getting together at my aunt's place int he beautiful Denver neighborhood of Park Hill.
    Then, we're hosting all family on the Saturday after Thanksgiving at my house for a chili buffet and college football. It'll be the first time my granparents have seen my house (and we've been there since 2005).

It should be a good holiday.
    I love hearing good news from Zman

It makes it all the better when I show up for Thanksgiving at his front door wearing only a tangerine speedo and holding a KEG of Generic Beer over my head for the party

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Mar 2004

Thanksgiving this year will be different

Well, I'm suppose to go to Charleston with my two grown daughters and have Thanksgiving with my sister and her two grown daughters...a truly girls long weekend. I've rented a beach house on Folly Beach for the long weekend...but my husband is currently in the hospital with a broken rib...and his brother is very ill with liver cancer, Hospice has been called in.
    So...I'm hoping to go to Charleston. Hoping everything works out and hubby is well enough to take care of himself and brother in law is in minimum pain.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Most of my apartment will be in boxes since I am doing two different moves for my new job the Saturday and Monday after Thanksgiving. Dinner will be at my parents (10-13 people, the usual). I will try to make a pumpkin dip appetizer that is served with fresh apple slices and gingersnaps as well as baked acorn squash.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Thanksgiving, 2007
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 64
    Last post: 26 Nov 2007, 11:37 AM
  2. Thanksgiving - 2006
    Friday Afternoon Club