Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Trader Joe's coming to Boston's South End

Trader Joe's coming to Boston's South End

From the Boston Herald:

GTI Properties is working on bringing a Trader Joe’s to the South End’s “SoWa” district.

The Boston company presented plans to the Old Dover Neighborhood Association to locate one of the specialty grocery stores in the former power station/trolley barn at 540A Harrison Ave.

Full article at: http://www.bostonherlad.com/business...c=next_article

Given I live so close to this site, does this mean my neighborhood has finally arrived? Or is it now past peak?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    It means that your neighborhood has sold out. Trader Joe's was only a cool store before they had 100 stores - now they have close to 300.

Seriously though - I love Trader Joe's for certain items. Great selection and prices on cheese, as well as a decent selection and decent prices on wine, and some other goodies here and there. My neighborhood is scheduled to "arrive" next year, with the opening of a Trader Joe's on Market in SF (with a Whole Foods coming across the street the following year).
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    It means that your neighborhood has sold out. Trader Joe's was only a cool store before they had 100 stores - now they have close to 300.

Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi, which is referred to as "The German Walmart". They have been big all along.

Oh, and yes, CJC is right. You have sold out to the man.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi, which is referred to as "The German Walmart".
    You mean Aldi's, the grocery store where you have to rent carts and merchandise is put out on pallets and boxes?
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi, which is referred to as "The German Walmart". They have been big all along.
    Well, sort of. It was started by a Californian long ago and bought by Theo Albrecht (one of the brothers behind the Aldi chain) in the late 70's. It's now owned by a family trust, but it has no financial relation to Aldi as a company.

I only know that part because I had to review an application for a TJ's a few years ago while I was in the public sector, and our town had different requirements based on the size of the company.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Around here TJ's is the only source of Two Buck Chuck, Charles Frazer Wines, which my wife has people who go there buy for her by the case, sort of like getting a cpl months' toilet paper at Sam's.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah!

Well now at least you'll have an option other than Whole Paycheck for grocery shopping
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2009
    Trader Joe's ain't got nothin' on Wegman's.

The old MBTA car barn has been vacant for decade - I will try to find a pic of it to post. When we bought our condo two years ago, the real estate agent told us that Whole Foods was thinking about moving into it. The building is huge, seems much too large for a Trader Joe's so we shall see. On Sundays during warmer weather, they use the parking lot in front of it for an arts and crafts fair with antique dealers on the inside. On the other side of the building is a large MBTA bus parking lot and then the South East expressway. This is one of the few places in et 'hood wi parking.

The SOWA neighborhood (South of Washington Street Area) still has a 455 unit conventional public housing development and the Pine Street Inn, the major place for the homeless. Plus it is now full of art galleries, architecture firms, weird furniture places (how d hey stay in business?) and trendy restaurants. And we live in a mixed income (a third low income, a third moderate income, a third market rate) development of 160 units with parking underneath.

I have been to TJs a lot of times when visiting family in California and have driven out of the 'hood to go to one in Cambridge.

Still, its funny to think such a mainstream place is moving in.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    GTI Properties is working on bringing a Trader Joe’s to the South End’s “SoWa” district.
    Whoop dee doo! There's already one within walking distance on Boylston Street in Back Bay. Bostonians are so ridiculously provincial. I don't miss that at all.

You are so right! The Boylston Street TJs is very walkable, but Ive been there maybe 2-3 times in the 5 years its been open.

Having grown up in California where people drive 1.5 hours to get to lunch, how did I get this way? I've become one of those kind of people!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    Trader Joes - greenwash at it's finest

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 25 May 2005, 5:04 PM
  2. Joe's New Job
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 25 May 2005, 3:47 AM