Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dangerous Walking

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Dangerous Walking

This topic has a relationship to Transportation Planning but I was not certain if it should be a FAC discussion or it should be in the TransPlan forum. I chose FAC.

The group Transportation for America has released a report that focuses on the dangers of walking in specific metropolitan areas. Check out the linky and click on the "Dangerous By Design" portion.

BTW.....Metro Toledo is not a safe place to be a pedestrian, but it is a whole lot safer than many metros in the south. Quite sure the weather has influenced the rankings.

Interesting reading.

Bear

http://t4america.org/
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Phoenix is on the list, but it doesn't matter, no one walks here anyway.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yup.....

EVERY one of those top ten places are in the south, so I don't think there is much of a density argument that can be made in this case. The top four are in Florida

I can tell you that Broward County, Florida was a challenge to drive in I never got used to people riding their bikes and walking the wrong direction between lanes against traffic in rush hour on major arterial roads and at night while crossing railroad tracks
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Thanks for the link, forward it to our local MPO.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008
    Bear, thanks for the heads up.
    Dangerous by Design pdf:
    http://t4america.org/docs/dangerousb..._by_design.pdf

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    EVERY one of those top ten places are in the south, so I don't think there is much of a density argument that can be made in this case. The top four are in Florida
    It has much more to do with the explosive growth that occurred in the South between 1950 and 2000 when bicycle and pedestrian accommodations were simply ignored when roads were constructed or expanded.

Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008
    Upon more studying of Dangerous By Design, I've decided that it's so seriously flawed that it should not, for the most part, be taken seriously.

Examples of how some states and regions are clumped:

32 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
    38 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD
    41 Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI
    50 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA
    51 Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH

I was once called upon to talk about transportation and health to a gathering of highway engineers at the federal DOT. I felt like I was entering the lions den. So I started the whole presentation with a joke: Congratulations! you have done your job so well that no one in America walks!

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Upon more studying of Dangerous By Design, I've decided that it's so seriously flawed that it should not, for the most part, be taken seriously.

Examples of how some states and regions are clumped:

32 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
    38 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD
    41 Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI
    50 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA
    51 Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH

What's the problem? Those look to be US Census Bureau-defined metropolitan areas. The ones you called attention to are larger, mostly eastern, metropolitan areas that cross state lines. While there will be variations between the center cities and their suburbs in each region, and that could raise a few questions, I don't think the choice of using metropolitan areas as a basis of analysis is that questionable overall.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    One thing I do find very interesting is when you chose to sort the results by state the place with the lowest danger rating within each state is almost always a college town. While these places often have a built in advantage due to the student population frequently living on or near campus, they nonetheless do have lots of people walking to work/school (or the bars) without incurring excessive fatalities.

It would be interesting to see what some of the other factors are that make this possible. Pedestrian-oriented CBDs? Heightened awareness of non-motorized transport? Shorter commute times for those who do drive? What else could explain this?

Quote Originally posted by Dave F View post

It would be interesting to see what some of the other factors are that make this possible. Pedestrian-oriented CBDs? Heightened awareness of non-motorized transport? Shorter commute times for those who do drive? What else could explain this?
    Safety in numbers is always a prime factor. If you have lots of people walking and biking, its much much safer.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    What's the problem? Those look to be US Census Bureau-defined metropolitan areas. The ones you called attention to are larger, mostly eastern, metropolitan areas that cross state lines. While there will be variations between the center cities and their suburbs in each region, and that could raise a few questions, I don't think the choice of using metropolitan areas as a basis of analysis is that questionable overall.
    That was my feeling while reading the article. I live in NJ which has everything from unincorporated areas, small towns, suburbs, urban areas both large and small. There are some places that are very pedestrian friends while there are others that are very dangerous. In the last couple of weeks since the report there have been some articles about pedestrian issues. 121 pedestrians have been killed so far this year in NJ. http://www.northjersey.com/news/Pede...ths_spike.html
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    One thing I do find very interesting is when you chose to sort the results by state the place with the lowest danger rating within each state is almost always a college town. While these places often have a built in advantage due to the student population frequently living on or near campus, they nonetheless do have lots of people walking to work/school (or the bars) without incurring excessive fatalities.
    Were students walking to class counted as pedestrian commuters? Was each trip to and from class counted in the calculation?

We also had some questions about some of the military cities around us. Did they count the soldiers walking from the barracks to training as pedestrian commuters? If so, did they also count the number of pedestrian crashes on the bases?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Fatally Walking

In a recent article in Time, south Florida carries the leaders role in car vs. pedestrain fatalities.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...942986,00.html

and one of the best quotes from the article...

"The root cause is simple: the thoughtless sprawl of modern urban and suburban development has created too much high-speed space for cars and trucks, and too little of it for walkers, cyclists and the kind of public transit that reduces dependence on cars. "
    and "It's partly due to a mind-set that views pedestrians as nuisances."
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker~