Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Humphrey Institute - MURP

Registered
    Feb 2009

Humphrey Institute - MURP

Anyone have experience with the MURP program at the University of Minnesota? I'd like to read some experiences from current/former students.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    ...or anything with the Humphrey Institute, their MURP program, and/or their FinAid packages. I'd appreciate it

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I went there back when it was the "Masters in Planning" program, so it was not as strong as it is now. In general, though, I really liked it. The academics were strong, the financial aid was great (they have a bunch of federal money from the Humphrey Scholarship/Fellowship program, not surprisingly, so they can fund a bunch of students), and the cities were a good place to learn planning. Once you get there, if you don't have financial aid, there are a lot of ways to get in-state tuition and even discounts on tuition, or at least there used to be.

My only complaint was that it was not strong on urban design/studio type work. I didn't really do any studio work while I was there - it was all stats, policy analysis, zoning and GIS. But I think you can get more of that now.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I passed up "bigger name" schools for the Hump and have not regretted it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    I didn't go there, but did take a class with Ann Markusen once. She's a great professor -- challenging and rigorous, but supportive and helpful -- and I recommend taking one of her classes, even if economic development isn't your thing.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Do you recommend any books, articles, etc. for incoming students? I've been very impressed with what's going on at the Humphrey and I want to make sure I'm as prepared as I can be when I begin classes in the fall.

Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    I went there back when it was the "Masters in Planning" program, so it was not as strong as it is now. In general, though, I really liked it. The academics were strong, the financial aid was great (they have a bunch of federal money from the Humphrey Scholarship/Fellowship program, not surprisingly, so they can fund a bunch of students), and the cities were a good place to learn planning. Once you get there, if you don't have financial aid, there are a lot of ways to get in-state tuition and even discounts on tuition, or at least there used to be.

My only complaint was that it was not strong on urban design/studio type work. I didn't really do any studio work while I was there - it was all stats, policy analysis, zoning and GIS. But I think you can get more of that now.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I passed up "bigger name" schools for the Hump and have not regretted it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'd get up to speed on your econ (esp. micro). I'd also do some reading on the type of planning you think you'd like to do. The university is so big there are lots of opportunities to learn about planning in other departments, but you do have to be a little self-motivated. The default there is to end up in a policy-planning sort of world.

Good luck.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    I'm going to enroll at the Humphrey for the Fall 2010 term. I love their MURP program and their transportation specialization is exactly what I'd like to do for a career.

Anyone involved with MURP at the Humphrey? It seems like there are so many opportunities available to their students both at the university and throughout the region.

Quote Originally posted by STLCardinalsFan View post
    I'm going to enroll at the Humphrey for the Fall 2010 term. I love their MURP program and their transportation specialization is exactly what I'd like to do for a career.

Anyone involved with MURP at the Humphrey? It seems like there are so many opportunities available to their students both at the university and throughout the region.

Cool. I really enjoyed the TC when I visited there for conference back in April, and visited the campus on one of those mobile workshops. Though they had an information booth set up at the conference, no one was there and I've never been able to dig up much info on the program, though I'd like to learn more. How selective were they? You say you want to study transportation, I'd like to study that too (either that or land use/growth management issues).

Has financial aid been generous to you?

Registered
    Feb 2009
    The HI hasn't awarded fin aid yet - April, maybe? They're usually generous with fin aid awards and their Fellowship opportunites are incredible. I'm very impressed with their staff, professors, facilities, and the opportunities to put what I'd learn in the classroom to practical use.

The HI hasn't awarded fin aid yet - April, maybe? They're usually generous with fin aid awards and their Fellowship opportunites are incredible. I'm very impressed with their staff, professors, facilities, and the opportunities to put what I'd learn in the classroom to practical use.

Have you already been accepted? Your post implied that you already had been accepted.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, I had to wait until next fall to attend for several reasons. Their fin aid packages are great.

Yeah, I had to wait until next fall to attend for several reasons. Their fin aid packages are great.

Cool. I just may apply then - as I said before, I was really impressed with Minneapolis when I visited back in the spring (despite the craptastic weather). I really wanted to apply but could never find much info. Went back on their website, don't know if they've updated it or if i missed some things before, but I do see a lot more there than what I saw before.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Jazzman View post
    Cool. I just may apply then - as I said before, I was really impressed with Minneapolis when I visited back in the spring (despite the craptastic weather).
    I have only good things to say about the University of Minnesota so I'm a bit biased in that sense. The Twin Cities area is a great place to live.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: Pratt Pratt Institute MUP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 05 Nov 2013, 2:51 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Dec 2011, 9:49 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Oct 2010, 8:23 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Aug 2006, 3:57 AM