Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Portfolio suggestions?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009

Portfolio suggestions?

Hi All,

Although it is not required for all of the Urban Planning programs I am applying to (UCLA, Irvine, Madison, UNC, Harvard, Penn), I am putting together a small portfolio to send each school.

I'm just going to send them a short letter, my resume, 3 or 4 photos, and one work sample. Anyone care to comment on this, or have suggestions?

Also - which of my photos would you choose?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatisl...7622782000927/

I'm trying to convey the importance of design as a communicative design medium. Thanks in advance!

Registered
    Feb 2009
    My suggestion would be not to send something to any school that's not explicitly requested in the application process.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Ditto on the suggestion. Photographs don't really convey any message unless you are specific on detailing the meaning of the photo. As for work samples, just one? Is it a paper, a document, a graphic? If it isn't strong (i.e. something you would show an employer, or use as a work sample for a job) don't bother sending that either. Rely on your personal statement. This is academia here, not the real world.
    No Signature Required

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Good points.
    I wanted to send a few of my best photos which address a couple of my interests in urban planning: inter modal transit: rail + bike photo; new development vs decay: photo of new NYC structures vs. abandoned ones... The cover letter would give a sentence or so for each to convey it's meaning. I am also trying to show that I am an accomplished photographer and have a good aesthetic vision (I've done lots of visual, design/graphic training)

For the work sample, I was going to send a fairly detailed map I made for my Geography Honors Thesis - the map depicts drug-free zones, a statute enhancing penalties for drug crimes in designated spaces - within the city of Seattle.

Does that sound better - or would you still recommend against?

I would definitely include a cover letter and describe how each photo intersects/documents an urban planning interest of mine, such as:

Intermodal transit (picture of pedestrians, bikes, rail line)
    development and decay (new construction, decay in NYC)

The work sample would be a map of a GIS model I created for my senior honors thesis on Drug Free Zones in Seattle, which is a statute enhancing legal penalties for drug crimes in designated spaces.

I am trying to communicate how I believe design and photography play a vital role in documenting and representing planning processes and interventions. I have a lot of training in visual design, photo, and graphics - so I am also trying to show my skills in these areas and how they relate to planning.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 02 Dec 2009 at 9:11 PM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Portfolio
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Dec 2007, 9:51 PM
  2. Help with portfolio!
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Nov 2007, 9:26 AM
  3. Portfolio
    Career Development and Advice