Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do I have a chance?

Registered
    Dec 2009

Do I have a chance?

3.3 gpa from state school (3.6 major gpa)
    gre 1000 writing 3.5
    good letters
    worked in real estate 3-4 years

schools applying to:
    UCLA
    CAL
    MIT
    USC
    NYU

should i not even bother?

Cal and MIT are longshots for most people, and for those schools your numbers (GRE and GPA) are pretty low. Perhaps your statement/letters of recommendation will make up for it. Consider UCI, Cal Poly Pomona, etc, so that you'll maximize your chances of getting into somewhere.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    With the glut of grad school applicants from recent undergrads, unemployed seeking a higher degree and just about everyone in their mom's, I would lower your expectations. More than likely it is a no go for all of them. Apply anyway, but don't expect to get in. Those are top tier schools. Try some second tiers like Cal Poly Pomona, SJ State, UC Davis, and others. Good luck.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Are SLO and Cornell 2nd tier and do I have a chance there?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Definitely add SLO to your list, they do not require you to submit GRE scores if your GPA is over 3.0. I would not consider them to be 2nd tier, they are definately one of the most respected practical programs in the state and ranked in the top 25 graduate planning programs according to Planetizen. Compared to other graduate programs in the state like Cal, UCLA, and UCI, they may be a little hamstrung by their location since they are not located within a major metro area.

Cornell is most definately not 2nd tier, if you have your heart set on going there I would recommend studying hard and retaking the GRE, you will probably want your combined score up around 1300.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    You always have a chance, so definitely be sure to apply to all of them. That being said, since your scores are good but not exceptional, you need to make sure your letters of rec and work experience can make up for faults elsewhere in your application. So be sure to focus on those.

Good luck!

Of course you have a chance. My advice is to seek out the schools you'd really want to attend, make sure you meet their minimum requirements, and apply to them. Remember, the most important part of anyone's application is their personal statement. If you really want to attend a program, your passion should come out in your statement.

You'd have a fine chance at CP SLO, I've known many grads there who probably had comparable grades/scores/etc., although admissions have been getting a little more competitive in recent years.

Lastly, I wouldn't pay any attention to which school may be "tier 1 or tier 2"... most of those rankings are very arbitrary. Obviously, there are super elite programs (like MIT), but I've known people who got into very selective programs with poor GRE scores. Just apply to the ones you really like, and see what happens.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. If you had a second chance...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Mar 2011, 1:20 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 11 Nov 2009, 1:43 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Jun 2009, 5:20 PM
  4. Your chance to name drop
    Friday Afternoon Club