Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Undergraduate programs

Registered
    May 2009

Undergraduate programs

So I'm finally graduating from Metro State in Denver with a BA in Urban Land Use Planning. But the more I've been exposed to the planning field through this and other forums the more I feel my education has been lacking in some key areas. I'm working with another student and a faculty advisor to create a steering committee to help improve the program.

Looking for leads on good undergraduate programs to see what they are teaching. I'd also like any suggestions for what should be taught at that level to benefit students wanting to enter the workforce or move on to a graduate school.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    I've heard really good things about the undergrad programs at Cal Poly SLO and University of Virginia.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

I attended the undergrad program at Cal Poly SLO. Since I never went to any other undergrad planning program, I can't compare it to anything else. However, I can say we got a pretty broad exposure to planning, including urban and landscape design, community planning, government, theory, environment, public policy, and a lot of technical skills for graphics, design, and GIS.

It was said by many students in both programs, and the faculty, that the BS program at Poly is actually more in-depth than the masters program. There were instances when this was sorely obvious, especially when a BSCRP and MCRP had similar community planning projects during the same quarter. By the nature of the undergrad program, there is more time spent on everything. The MCRP program is somewhat compressed. The reason for this is that, at Poly, all programs of study include all 4 years of ones' education, instead of you only doing GE in the first two years and then major courses in the last two. So you get 3-4 years exposure to your major instead of only 2. Since the MCRP program is 2 years, there is simply less time to learn some of the same stuff.

I'd say one of the strongest facets of the undergrad Poly program is the design work they're doing. In the past few years they've really enhanced their abilities in this area and their expectations for students. They do stuff that's very impressive even compared to top national schools. The environmental side has always been pretty strong, and even over-emphasized for a while, but I think this is evening out. Also, there is a new Department Head, and they are going in some good directions.

If you want specific contacts, I can put you in touch with people who'd love to talk to you about the program.

Also make sure you look into GEORGIA TECH, which is one of the best in the field (although they don't have an undergrad program, they have stuff for undergrads): http://www.planning.gatech.edu/

Registered
    May 2009
    Quote Originally posted by chocolatechip View post
    If you want specific contacts, I can put you in touch with people who'd love to talk to you about the program.
    Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if we'd like to do that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Ideas for undergraduate
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Mar 2013, 10:13 PM
  2. Undergraduate anyone?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Dec 2011, 4:57 PM
  3. Undergraduate studies
    Student Commons