Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roadkill

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries

Roadkill

Ugh. I was driving home late last night and all the sudden I'm driving down a empty section of 4-lane road with a grassy median and at the last minute this thing which looked like a fox or a coyote walks right in front of my car.

I'm pretty sure I ran over the poor thing, as I was going 60 and had no time to stop and then felt a big thud. I went on, and said a prayer, and that's about it.

Granted, this was in the exurbs, right on the fringes of the western extent of Chicagoland. And I kept seeing more and more coyotes and foxes walking along the road after the incident.

So, what have you? Ever hit a deer? A dog? A fox? A bear? A human? Any close calls? Share your stories here.

Also, what's the solution? Open the area to hunters? More guardrails? Or is there none and it's just a part of driving in the country?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Years ago, I struck and killed a dog with my car in Lake County, California. I pulled over, but didn’t see the owner anywhere. Got back in my car and kept going. I felt bad because I’m sure it was a family pet. But the poor dog should not have been allowed to roam on a state highway.

Slightly grazed a deer on US 101 north bound just south of Willits...don't know the results. Didn't damage the car.

After I moved into my current house, I intentionally drove over and killed a big snake on the road when I got home one day. The vultures had it cleaned up by the next morning. No hard feelings on that one.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I noticed several dead frogs on the road yesterday morning. When I was driving home the night before, I saw one hopping across the road and moved over to miss it. I hope I did not claim any others' lives.

I have whacked an opposum and a raccoon before.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I noticed several dead frogs on the road yesterday morning.
    Really?

(Only funny if you've seen the movie)
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hit a cat at night once but it ran off and I couldn't find it. Also have hit the usual assortment of squirrels and snakes, and nailed a raccoon in the middle of the day.

Worst thing I ever hit was a calf that was already dead and lying in the road. $900 damage to the underside of the car on that hit.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've aready killed a dog, a coon and some gulls while driving. Gulls are especially fun when they land in unison on the freeway and they don't fly out of the way when you come around the curve. I also killed a songbird a year or so ago, it was sitting on the road and flew up at the last instant, got confused and went under a wheel.

I have also barely missed a deer at highway speed at night by less than a meter. Scary!

BTW, Wisconsin state law gives first dibs on the roadkilled deer to whoever was the driver of the vehicle that hit it, the cop who shows up will tag it so that you may legally possess it. If the striking driver declines it, anyone else who shows up may claim it.

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I hit and killed a beautiful boxer that ran out into the freeway. I couldn't stop (heavy, fast traffic on Interstate 80) but I know I killed it. I pulled off at the next exit and called the highway patrol.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    To many rabbits, squirrels, snakes and birds to mention. Had a deer run into my driver side door, had to call the sheriff to put her down. I had just dropped my insurance down to liability from full coverage...bummer.

The worst was a dog on busy city street. It was an inside dog and bolted when the door opened. His owner (a six year old) was chasing him at full speed. I thought for sure the kid was going into the street after the dog, but he stopped at the last minute. I never took my eyes off the kid, by the time the kid stopped it was too late to react to the dog. Worse part was carrying the dead dog back to the house with the crying kid and explaining everything to his mother. I think we were all crying.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Almost smoked a moose on a dark and stormy night, around a blind corner. The rule with them is to aim the passenger seat at them, and hjope for the best. Fortunately, it moved and I missed it.

I have killed lots of small animals, I don't swerve to miss them.

On my bicycle I participated in the killing of a squirrel, it ran into our double pace line and was ping ponged and pitched into chainrings and wheels. ALmost took 6 of us down at 80km/hr.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Personally i have never killed any "Wildlife" as we call it here, but it happens all the time, especially going out towards to country.

When i was in the Northern Territory (on a contiki tour) there was a battle of the sexes competition, the bus driver versus a posh british girl. It was decided that the loser had to move the first "wildlife" we found on the highway off the road.Indeed the girl lost and the bus driver came across a "fresh" kangaroo on the road- it was quite sad (i wont go into details on the state of it) so she had to go out and move it off the road- i have some great photos (hey nothing much happens when you spend a whole day on the bus, travelling on a straight road in the desert).

and i think it was last year, in one of our V8 car races in the country, a kangaroo jumped across the track as a car was speeding round the corner, which was caught on tv- they couldnt find the kangaroo, but the car had a huge dent in it.

Actually i get annoyed with people that purposefully try and run over cats, do people try and do that over in the usa? I think it is a sick state of mind.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Almost smoked a moose on a dark and stormy night.
    I've smoked chicken, beef brisket and pork ribs. But never moose, is that any good?

I almost hit a darned prarie dog on bicycle. Little critter made a 180 right in front of my wheel. I just missed him!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    BTW, Wisconsin state law gives first dibs on the roadkilled deer to whoever was the driver of the vehicle that hit it, the cop who shows up will tag it so that you may legally possess it. If the striking driver declines it, anyone else who shows up may claim it.

Mike
    Same thing in New York. As a volunteer firefighter, I responded to a car-deer accident one morning. A nice buck leaped from an adjacent ledge into the windshield of an old lady's car. She didn't want the deer so the other firefighters started discussing who needed the meat most. The police officer on the scene could tag it. Guy with three kids got it in the end. He shared some venison stew with us at the firehouse one night. Yum!
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Never killed anything with the car to the best of my knowledge. However, I did ensure a deer was dead by running over it again. I was coming home from the uni which has about 45 minutes of very dark very rural area between it and my house. I didn't see it until I was nearly on top of it. I did manage to only run over it with the right side of the car, the alignment was kinda messed up so had to get it redone. I knew there was a reason why I purchased that one year alignment policy!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I once had a seagull fly into my car while I was turning. He broadsided me and hit the driver door just above the window (the beam). He bounced off and proceeded to fall and bounce along the road. He shook himself off and flew away.

I think another bird hit the car once, too. They must not be able to see that particular shade of silver.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    In Montana, along the Front, there is a phenomena I call the "suicide squirrels." These ground squirrels stand along the road (Hwy 287) and when your car, which is travelling 70 mph gets close, they then try to run across the road. Sometimes they make it, often they don't.

Makes me wonder. before the advent of cars, did they do the same thing with stagecoaches and wagons? And before that, did they play chicken with buffalo herds?

Maybe they are bored. Maybe they are despondent. Though there are plenty of worse places to live.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I ran into a moose once - fortunately for me it was a glancing blow (moose's head hit the top right corner of the windshield). Even better, it wasn't my car.

Same roadkill rules here - my colleagues where I worked at the time were very disappointed I didn't claim the moose and share with them. As if I was going to strap an 800lb moose to the City car, drive another two hours back to the City with it. The guy I turned my claim over to had to call a tow-truck out to help lift it into the bed of his pick-up. B****d never called to give me some of the meat like he said he would - guess he ended up sharing with the tow-truck driver instead.

Once got a chipmunk at 120km/h Don't think I actually hit it, but it was freaky to see it tumbling through the air in my rearview.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Worst thing I ever hit was a calf that was already dead and lying in the road. $900 damage to the underside of the car on that hit.
    Drive much? (Sorry, couldn't resist )

I ran over the Easter Bunny at 12:10am on Easter morning on I-95 a few years back. Seriously.

My friend and I also mowed down two cats that were chasing each other. I was following him on a dark road. He hit one, then I hit the second one. We stopped and knocked on a few doors, but no one knew who's they were.
    Last edited by jmello; 25 Apr 2006 at 10:52 AM.

I killed a bird once. Weird thing -- it flew into the grille of my car as though it had a death wish -- Splat! Nothing I could do about it even if I could have reacted in time.

Worst part was picking out the feathers.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I had a stupid pigeon that made a splat sound when it decided that it would not move for my vehicle. Flying rats!
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I've hit a turkey and a pigion, the pigion exploded on impact

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Okay, I saw a l-a-r-g-e carcass by the side of the road this weekend. It was far enough gone that a casual identification was not possible, but for some reason it didn't really look like a deer...but it was about the same size/partial mass.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    During a trip in Ireland I had a suicidal sheep dive off a roadside ledge in front of my rental car. Lucliky I was able to stop in time and the sheep just climbed back up on to the ledge... Since it was winter I figured it had a bad case of SAD.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm pretty sure I've been able to avoid most things except for the bugs on the windscreen. The most surprising thing about this is that most of my driving is done in Michigan and the deer population is much greater than the human population. Typically they just run out of the woods. Had some close calls, but no hits. It is recommended by the way that if you are in such a situation that you just hit the poor thing. Slamming on the brakes or veering could send you into a situation where you have no control oover the vehicle and might wrap it around a tree.

Opening an area up for hunting to reduce hits is not feasible. Deer either live in a rural area where hunting is already allowed or in suburban fringe areas where you would not want every yokel with a gun shooting up the place. Suburban Detroit is thick with woods and water so it provides great deer habitat. This can be very tricky as these areas get the most hits by far because traffic is high as is deer population. It created an environment that was not safe for either the deer or the resident. Rochester Hills had police sharpshooters a couple of years back cull the population and worked with hunters groups to donate the meat to homeless shelters.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I'm pretty sure I've been able to avoid most things except for the bugs on the windscreen. The most surprising thing about this is that most of my driving is done in Michigan and the deer population is much greater than the human population. Typically they just run out of the woods. Had some close calls, but no hits. It is recommended by the way that if you are in such a situation that you just hit the poor thing. Slamming on the brakes or veering could send you into a situation where you have no control oover the vehicle and might wrap it around a tree.
    "She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
    She's a squirrel squishin' deer smackin' drivin' machine.
    Canyonero...
    Canyonero...
    Yahh...yahh canyonero
    Whoa Canyonero.
    "

Just another of many Simpson classics.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast