Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 FIFA World Cup Trash Talk Thread!

Registered
    Mar 2004

2010 FIFA World Cup Trash Talk Thread!

With the group draws having been made and the dates set, let's hear it on the biggest sporting stage on the planet!

In case anyone hasn't heard, the USA will be opening the tournament on 2010-06-12 at Rustenburg, South Africa against England. Besides the USA and England, the other teams drawn into Group C are Algeria and Slovenia.

BTW, I like that draw - the USA-England match will be one of the marque games this time around - and the USA should have little difficulty advancing into the knockout round.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think the USA will fail to deliver. Our talk is much bigger than our action. I'd like to see them win decisively for once rather than just squeaking in.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    It looks like a very good draw for the US team.

US v. England will bring alot of attention (didn't England struggle in qualifying?)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2005
    We seem to have a crappy draw, but apparently the teams in our draw play a defensive game like us- meh we are just happy to be there
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm.....

Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    We seem to have a crappy draw, but apparently the teams in our draw play a defensive game like us- meh we are just happy to be there
    I'm sure they will do fine....if they play by Australian rules

I read the USA has never played Algeria or Slovenia before? Is this true? Anything can happen I guess....like both teams could score goals!
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We were going to cancel our cable this month, but seeing as the World Cup is only 5 months away we're going to keep it through the final match.

I'm contemplating using flex or comp time to make sure I see some of the games.

Anyone heard what time (EST.) the games will air?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I found a match schedule in PDF here, but as for how and when the games will air in the U.S...

Looks like they will air on ESPN; try this link.
    Last edited by Mud Princess; 13 Jan 2010 at 9:47 AM. Reason: found a link

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Sadly I can't stand ESPNs coverage of the Cup. I prefer univision. Remember, Univision (the spanish channel) carries all games live (and replays at night). The only bummer is Univision around here can't seem to get their HD act together.

I think the US will survive and move on, however their critical game will be against Slovenia, especially if it is a draw or lose against the brits. When all else fail, i revert to rooting for Spain, then default to any latin american countries left.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I found a match schedule in PDF here, but as for how and when the games will air in the U.S...

Looks like they will air on ESPN; try this link.
    Due to the time differences, 'daytime' matches in South Africa will be in the morning in the Americas and 'prime time' matches in South Africa will be in the late morning to mid-afternoon here.

First round matches involving the USA:
    -USA v England - 2010-06-12 (Saturday) at 14:30 EDT (played at Royal Bafokeng in Rustenburg, South Africa)
    (I'm really looking forward to this one! )
    -USA v Slovenia - 2010-06-18 (Friday) at 10:00 EDT (played at Ellis Park in Johannesburg, South Africa)
    -USA v Algeria - 2010-06-23 (Wednesday) at 10:00 EDT (played at Loftus Versfeld in Tshwane/Pretoria, South Africa)

Second round 'knockout' matches will begin on June 26, with the championship match to be played at 14:30 EDT on Sunday, 2010-07-11 at Soccer City in Johannesburg, South Africa.

I agree that the first-round matches will all likely be on ESPN.

Mike

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Our matches are on at 4.30am and Midnight here according to the broadcaster website. hmmm
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

FINALLY -- It's Show Time!!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I never thought about this:

World Cup Referees Brush Up on Curses in 17 Languages (courtesty of the New York Times)

Last edited by TexanOkie; 11 Jun 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Registered
    May 2005
    Boring.

How's that for trash talk?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm already getting psyched up for tomorrow's USA-England match - lunch time our time!

Today's opener, already under way as I type this, Mexico should be blowing South Africa right out of that stadium.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Saw an interesting piece on why FIFA could care less about the U.S. and its fans, money etc. They basically make $4billion on the world cup and it is pure profit - they don't need to support other sports like the olympics or development of people, as the leagues do that.

The sole reason for the World Cup is to showcase the players. They will do it there way, which in many ways I respect. Even though this year Americans bought more tickets than any other nation...

Just wait until we beat England... then all hell will break loose.

CAN'T WAIT!!!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I'm already getting psyched up for tomorrow's USA-England match - lunch time our time!

Today's opener, already under way as I type this, Mexico should be blowing South Africa right out of that stadium.

Mike
    Me too on the England match....

Not quite on the Mexico v. South Africa match....1-1.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    BAFANA BAFANA!! Wooo! Good game, I'm happy that SA was able to contain Mexico. I'm sure they're replaying their missed opportunities over and over in their heads but I'll gladly take the tie.

Khune was impressive and acrobatic! He's cute too!!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    The Simpson's-broadcasting soccer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noOHdTQd6H8
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Boring.

How's that for trash talk?
    I wanted to be the first "soccer sucks" guy in this thread but you beat me to it

Registered
    Mar 2004
    ^^
    Enough of the put downs, this thread is for those interested in the games. I don't go badmouthing other sports that I am not a fan of and that I would find to be dreadfully boring if I didn't understand their nuances and the same is appreciated in return.

Play on!

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    ^^
    Enough of the put downs, this thread is for those interested in the games. I don't go badmouthing other sports that I am not a fan of and that I would find to be dreadfully boring if I didn't understand their nuances and the same is appreciated in return.

Play on!

Mike
    Fair enough, I'm out... I hope you guys are all real fans and not hipster d-bags pretending to like soccer because its so exotic and sophisticated as opposed to the American game of football which is just for brutes and meatheads who drink "mersh" beer as opposed to the greatest beer in the world which is of course Pabst Blue Ribbon, and don't understand how important it is to display the proper amount of irony in clothing selection which is of course vintage tee-shirts and old-school footwear selections that can only be found at Salvation Army or an independent clothing store..

Registered
    Feb 2007
    God Bless ESPN3.com!
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    How didnt Mexico not beat South Africa? I only watched the first half (it was on after 1am our time) and they were all over the South Africans in attack, just wouldnt have a crack at the goal from anywhere outside the 18 yard box.

South Africa really played defensive in the second half, although they did get several good runs off long goal kicks -- Mpthela broke through on one and hit the freaking post. Mexico had to take some chances and just couldn't get one in.

I was hoping Les Bleus would fall to Uruguay, but it ended 0:0.

Off-topic:
    Black boots, FIFA. Black boots only! Lavender? NO!!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Phew! USA managed to eek out a draw thanks to Robert Green, England's keeper.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The 2013 NHL trash talk thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 01 Jul 2013, 8:27 AM
  2. 2010 South Trash Talk Thread
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 132
    Last post: 12 Feb 2011, 6:03 PM
  3. 2010 North Trash Talk Thread