Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 FIFA World Cup Trash Talk Thread!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    ^^
    The goal of the tournament and the Bill Buckner of football!

Even though that one off the post should have gone in (grrrrrrrr...), a draw vs. England is a very good result for the USA - and it was a fun to watch match all around.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Damn vuvuzela. I'm going to start banning South African Cyburbians if this keeps up.

Also ... USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Australia's first game is at 4am Monday morning- thank goodness Monday is public holiday!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jun 2005
    So i got up at 4am- seriously, Australia played like #$%@@!!. We must win against Ghana to make the next round..
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    So i got up at 4am- seriously, Australia played like #$%@@!!. We must win against Ghana to make the next round..
    That was a tough game, poor Socceroos. On the upside, I thought the Australians filled out their uniforms the best.

The German team looked really good. Mesut Özil was very impressive!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    That was a tough game, poor Socceroos. On the upside, I thought the Australians filled out their uniforms the best.
    Yeah our captain Lucas Neil is quite easy on the eye

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    So true. So true. The vuvuzela instruction manual.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So Cameroon and Serbia have lost.... if they don't make it into the next round I will be quite surprised....

Although that could make the U.S. draw better (assuming they do make it to the next round...)
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm surprised about the Cameroon loss. I couldn't watch it so had to check for live updates on NY Times blog.

re: vuvuzela, I don't mind it really on tv. It just fades into the background like a bee buzzing around. Now if I were there and had one blaring next to my ear I think you'd find quite a few being inserted into the offending blarers' nostrils.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Phew! USA managed to eek out a draw thanks to Robert Green, England's keeper.
    You mean this guy?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    achtung baby! sorry natski!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    On the NY Times Live Analysis blog for the Ivory Coast v. Portugal game Cristiano Ronaldo is the only player worthy of having both first and last name listed. I wonder why he gets special recognition.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

This thread is only two pages long? You stupid Americans. You are truly too dull to appreciate the beautiful game of football! Over in the Agora forum of Eurourbanisticá, which is like a more intelligent version of the Friday Afternoon Club, the FIFA World Cup thread is over 500 pages long! In fact, many of us work for employers that gave us the month off, so we can enjoy the World Cup in its entirety. That's on top of the 12 to 16 paid weeks we already get for holiday every year. I both pity and despise you, and your love for such brutal sports as handegg and clubball, your George Bush, and your support of Israel.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

This thread is only two pages long? You stupid Americans. You are truly too dull to appreciate the beautiful game of football! Over in the Agora forum of Eurourbanisticá, which is like a more intelligent version of the Friday Afternoon Club, the FIFA World Cup thread is over 500 pages long! In fact, many of us work for employers that gave us the month off, so we can enjoy the World Cup in its entirety. That's on top of the 12 to 16 paid weeks we already get for holiday every year. I both pity and despise you, and your love for such brutal sports as handegg and clubball, your George Bush, and your support of Israel.
    Au contraire, mon frere. The paucity of comments mirrors the essence of soccer in quality of play and quantity (or lack thereof) of scoring. One might easily come to the conclusion that your beloved football is, in fact, an essentially pointless game.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I'm perpelxed as to how North Korea managed to score a goal against Brazil, unless it was an own-goal. I figured it would be a 6-0 bludgeoning or thereabouts.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

North Korea did quite well in qualifying and its friendlies in the run-up to the Cup. Today, they packed the midfield. They got a good run-out late in the game and smashed a very nice goal. I'm just happy Brasil got the three points.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Highlights of the USA v. England match, in Legos

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    This might sound strange, but I'm pulling for North Korea. Not in an "Our Dear Leader will guide our team to victory over the capitalist lackeys!" kind of way, but more like supporting the underdog, and hoping that 20 million people who lead hard lives can at least have one thing to celebrate.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Regardlass, the North Korean player who scored is set for life within his dear leadre's country.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Spain 0 : 1 Switzerland?

YIKES!

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    This might sound strange, but I'm pulling for North Korea. Not in an "Our Dear Leader will guide our team to victory over the capitalist lackeys!" kind of way, but more like supporting the underdog, and hoping that 20 million people who lead hard lives can at least have one thing to celebrate.
    I was rooting for them so the team does not wind up in a death camp.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well the US is killing themselves.... down 2-0 at half.... ugh...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    WE WAS ROBBED!

USA comes back and ties it up and then our 3rd goal not allowed (and replays show simething very different). Final 2-2
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I don't know what the heck that call was! Too bad we didn't play with the energy exhibited in the 2nd half for the entire game. Might've been a different outcome. Apparently the ref has made questionable decisions in the past link

I must say, I thoroughly enjoy the post-match tradition of exchanging shirts.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    GRRRRRrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr refs!!!!!!!

Mike

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The 2013 NHL trash talk thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 01 Jul 2013, 9:27 AM
  2. 2010 South Trash Talk Thread
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 132
    Last post: 12 Feb 2011, 7:03 PM