Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Masters in urban and environmental design Griffith University

Registered
    Dec 2009

Masters in urban and environmental design Griffith University

Hi there

After twenty years in media/government communications I am thinking of a mid life career change (I'm 50) and am thinking of doing the Masters in Urban and Environmental Design at Griffith Uni.

I'm interested in feedback from anyone who has done the course or is doing it.

Also, any thoughts of moving into urban and environmental planning at my age?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Registered
    Sep 2009
    Hey,

I will be starting the urban and environmental planning program at Griffith next year. I did a lot of research and chose Griffith because the course is innovative and the costs are substantially lower than many other courses nationwide. It also seems to be a lot more practical than most other masters courses.

I moved from Melbourne to Brisbane so that I can attend Griffith. I am 23 but this is also a career change for me as my undergraduate education is in commerce.

I don't think being 50 should be a concern as apparently there is a shortage of planners nationwide.

Good luck with your decision!

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I must admit I have been at griffith for 3 years and cohorts keep getting younger. But Older the wiser, I say.

See you at Griffith Uni next year
    We architects and urban planners aren't the visible symbols of oppression, like the military or the police. We're more sophisticated, more educated, and more socially conscious. We're the soft cops.- Robert Goodman, After the Planners My Planning Forumino

Registered
    Jul 2010
    I have just completed my MA Urban and Enviro PLanning at Griffith (Nathan) and found it to be a good course and university. All the subjects were very interesting and I had no problems with any lecturers / exams / assessment. I would probably recommend doing the strategic planning studio (compulsory) after you have done a semester of more general planning topics as its quite full on if you are new to planning like i was.

Also, I recommend doing the Industry Mentor Program or Planning Practicum to get some experience whilst at university which will help when you finish.

Cheers

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    I've just started at UNSW and Griffith is a name that always crops up during classes. Brendan Gleeson at Griffith is a prominent leader in Australian urban planning.

Registered
    Jul 2010
    YEs Brendon Gleeson was present at some of my seminars, Prof Lex Brown has done A LOT of planning / environmental assessment related research and takes a lot of classes and is worth speaking to.

Dr Matthew Burke takes a transport planning course that is really interesting too.

Registered
    Apr 2010
    I did not study at Griffith but I know there are some good minds there. Like any course it probably depends what you make of it.

As for entering planning in your golden years, the profession could with some varied life experiences.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 16 Oct 2013, 12:33 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Feb 2011, 1:16 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 24 Jul 2010, 11:05 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Mar 2009, 3:32 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Nov 2008, 1:42 AM