Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GRE predicament

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

GRE predicament

Hi all,

I did very very poorly on my GRE this morning (1160 90th percentile in verbal, didn't finish math). The issue is now... what to do. I can't take it again in December and one school on my list won't accept scores post Dec. 31. However, my question is... is it worth it to take it Jan 4 for schools with Jan 15 deadline? Or is that a waste of time because they might not get there in time anyway (based on the 10-15 day processing time)?

Thoughts!? THANKS! I recognize this is my fault, just looking for recommendations.... Maybe I should mention, I'm shooting for some good schools in the Northeast, and a few in the middle-tier. It would be nice to have a fair shot, obviously.. but maybe it's just not my year.

Quote Originally posted by JLedewitz View post

I did very very poorly on my GRE this morning (1160 90th percentile in verbal, didn't finish math).
    I'd hardly call that "very poorly". Think about the stuff you can control now, like your personal statements. From what I have heard thus far, the GRE is one factor among many, and for many places it's not one of the more important ones.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    This is what I'd do.

Worry about finishing your apps and making them good. Then take the GRE. Hey, you're only losing 150 odd bucks by taking it.

Good luck

I scored similarly--high on the Verbal but low on the Quantitative, good on the Written. The way I see it, it's only one factor, and there are more important components of your application than those scores.

Maybe my dates will help you out. I took the test on the 1st, my GRE was processed on the 9th, and the school is to receive scores no later than the 23rd, however given that ETS is bogged down with score processing/mailing nationally, add another week. So, it takes a whole month for the scores to reach the school at this point in time.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009
    Yeah, swapping would be great. PM me.

And as for the UCLA application, I didn't see anything about a personal history statement either...

Registered
    Jan 2010

GRE and admissions

Does anyone know of people who have gotten into top 5 schools when they have great GPA, great recs, great statement, but pretty substandard GREs?

Examples?

...facing this issue myself ...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    @redesignedbirdhouse Haha, funny that you ask. I'm hoping to be one example? I have standard GPA from a great lib arts college, and mediocre GRE scores but they went better than last time! 640V 670Q. Hoping that MIT, UPenn, Cornell might see past the numbers. Seems a little unlikely, because they use them to weed out/distinguish certain applicants. But honestly, if they're not low enough to weed you out (which would vary by institution), I can't imagine they play much of a factor after that.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by redesignedbirdhouse View post
    Does anyone know of people who have gotten into top 5 schools when they have great GPA, great recs, great statement, but pretty substandard GREs?

Examples?

...facing this issue myself ...
    I had 1260 (I think?) GRE, 3.5+ GPA, good recs, and a good statement and got into Rutgers, which was #4 in Planetizen the year I applied, and USC, which was #9. I think there might have been another top 10 school I got into, but I threw out the Planetizen rankings after I picked a school. GREs are only one part of the application, don't let mediocre scores stop you from applying somewhere.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Planderella Predicament
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 26 Jul 2004, 4:57 PM