Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: creatures of habit and reading

Registered
    Feb 2004

creatures of habit and reading

I confess I can be creature of habit at times. Take the newpaper; there is a certain order I typically read or scan articles and features: front page headline, headline photo caption, headline article, first page of state/local sections, editorials, comics (always immediately following reading letters to the editor), then back to the remainder of section A pages, then section B and so on.

I do a similar thing with Cyburbia where I will go to the FAC, read certain new threads first (ones started by TS, hilldweller, or Dan are frequent favorites), then check in on Random Thoughts, then read old frequently bumped threads (e.g. neverending joke, garden thread, weather thread, raising kids, what's for lunch/dinner etc), read the political threads last, and then when I'm done with the FAC go to the front page (never used to until the update) and them hit up the professional threads from top to bottom.

Does anyone else do this with reading the paper or maybe even Cyburbia?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2002
    I've got my habits, but reading is not among them. I used to read a lot, but not so much anymore.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    With the newspaper I read the front page, read the two inside pages, the editorial page, then go to the funnies, and dear abby. Then I am pretty much done. I never read financial news or sports.

For Cyburbia, I see what is shaking in new posts and that is about it.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Newspapers:
    I do the crossword first, then read the comics. Then, if I still have time, I read some parts of the paper starting with the front page.

Cyburbia:
    I always start by checking out the homepage. Then on to RTDNTOTO. It is my favorite. Then I go back and investigate other FAC threads and then "serious" threads.

If you think about it, I treat the newspaper and Cyburbia the same way. Start with the fun/funny stuff and progressively work toward the "serious" stuff.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm like Otterpop. For Cyburbia, I check in on the new posts and generally leave it at that unless there is some particular thread or bit of info I am searching for. Cyburbia is also often my little break between spurts of work, so I don't have a lot of time. Letting the new posts button do the work for me is perfect for how I use it.

I don't actually read a "real" newspaper except on ocassion. Mostly I read online and I really look primarily on the front page. Sometimes I will also check in on Politics section, but mostly its the front page. I look at a few different papers and other news sources, so I get a pretty good sense of goings on from that.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 24 Jan 2011, 10:59 PM
  2. The Beginning of a Habit
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 14 Dec 2009, 9:08 PM
  3. Creatures of Habit
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18