Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    We did before 9/11.
    You dare contradict a source as unimpeachable as 'they'? Tsk tsk

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    They say folks that live in NYC don't bother to visit the Statue of Liberty.
    I grew up in NJ, have been back many times to visit and I still have not.
    I have seen her backside from the NJ Turnpike several times does that count ?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Oregon: pretty much seen it all from corner to corner, north to south, east to west.
    South Carolina: never went to Charleston until I moved to NJ or went to Myrtle Beach (no appeal).
    New Jersey: slowly exploring different areas in the state since I've been here-busy with work and school you know! Have not been to the Statue of Liberty which is in NJ, not NY; although one of my planning studio was working on a transportation plan for Liberty State Park so I have seen it from pretty close. Last summer we explored the beaches down to Belmar although we've been to Long Beach Island which is further south. I've been to Atlantic City although I am not much of a gambler so it's not of a big interest to me. We are sandwiched between NYC and Philly which only gives us more things to do. We are rarely bored here!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yeah.....

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    When I lived in
    Utah - never skied Park City or the 2 areas in Big Cottonwood Canyon.
    Colorado - Rocky Mountain National Park & Coors Brewery
    never skied Ski Cooper Mtn. near Tennessee Pass or Leadville, CO

Now in Indiana -
    Marengo Cave,
    HS basketball game on a friday night.
    I never got to ride the ski train from Denver to Winter Park and now they are bankrupt and sold the train back to the Canuckistanians

Not missing much at Ski Cooper but Berthoud Pass ROCKED!

I never skied at Snowmass(yet), Cuchara Valley or Conquistador before they closed

But I finally achieved my LIFE long dream of visiting Meeker Colorado many years ago (runs to hide from Zman)
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Lived in metro Atlanta for 20+ years, never been to Six Flags. But, roller coasters don't do anything for me, and, besides, I'm not sure Six Flags qualifies as a treasure.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yeah but....

Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Lived in metro Atlanta for 20+ years, never been to Six Flags. But, roller coasters don't do anything for me, and, besides, I'm not sure Six Flags qualifies as a treasure.
    Did you ever go up Stone Mountain?
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Did you ever go up Stone Mountain?
    Yep - been there, done that...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Georgia Aquarium
    Olympic (Centennial) Park
    CNN Tower/Studios
    Cyclorama
    Grant Park Zoo
    The Varsity
    Not even Underground
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Georgia Aquarium
    Olympic (Centennial) Park
    CNN Tower/Studios
    Cyclorama
    Grant Park Zoo (aka Zoo Atlanta)
    The Varsity
    Not even Underground
    I'd hit some of those before I even moved to the ATL, been to the rest since then. Underground was a cut-through for me back in my grad school days - easiest way to get from Five Points MARTA to the part of Georgia State's campus I usually ended up in. That was back when it actually had some life, though - we used to go drinking there after finals. I'm not sure if Underground was a good idea with bad execution, or just a bad idea in general.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    We did before 9/11.
    You said 9/11. You owe Rudy Gulliani a quarter.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Growing up in central Jersey, there's not too much I can think of accessible from there that I overlooked. As kjelsadek posted, there's a lot in that area to keep you from getting too bored.

Now, I know my parents never visited the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building and they lived less than 20 miles from 'em.

I lived only an hour from Indianapolis but never visited the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and I like open-wheel racing (but I'm not a gearhead type).

Bardstown, KY is less than an hour away, but I've never visited My Old Kentucky Home. Although my wife's grandmother was known as The Belle of Balltown. WYP might get the joke....
    Batter up!

Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    You dare contradict a source as unimpeachable as 'they'? Tsk tsk
    I hang my head in deep shame and beg the Great Maister for forgiveness.

Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    You said 9/11. You owe Rudy Gulliani a quarter.
    He gave it back to me. I wonder why.

"Because sometimes you need more than a "

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Of all the national parks in Utah, I've been to Zions once.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I've driven through the Amana Colonies a thousand times and have never stopped. The outlet mall in Williamsburg doesn't count.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Bump.
    I'm going to scratch one off my list - the WK Kelogg Bird Sanctuary. If you enjoy bird watching, ecology or just plain enjoy the beautiful outdoors, this little-known gem is a great find. Admittedly, I had been there once many years ago but re-discovered it during the 2011-2012 "winter that wasn't". It is open year round and kiddos love to feed the Canadian geese, various ducks, and trumpeter swans. Junior can happily pelt the birds for hours at a time with the corn kernels you buy at the station HQ! SW MI Planner, you should take your daughter there!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2009
    6 years in Hawaii, 3 of them in Honolulu and I have yet to visit Pearl Harbor.
    I have visited several war memorials throughout the Pacific, I just can't seem to fathom the lines at Peal Harbor. I have seen it from the sky and from the water though, so I guess I get brownie points for that.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2002
    I'm a Michigan native that never visited Sleeping Bear Dunes. That's the best I can come up with.
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 200,000 people with a 99% happiness rating!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    6 years in Hawaii, 3 of them in Honolulu and I have yet to visit Pearl Harbor.
    I have visited several war memorials throughout the Pacific, I just can't seem to fathom the lines at Peal Harbor. I have seen it from the sky and from the water though, so I guess I get brownie points for that.
    I went in 2001 right after 9/11. We had a previously booked trip and were worried that we weren't going to be able to go because the planes were all grounded. We got to fly second day they returned to flying and had a wonderful vacation. It's probably the lowest amount of tourists that had ever been in Hawaii in recent years but it was great. The line for the memorial wasn't that bad since you get a ticket time for the boat ride out to the harbor. You really should go.

Alas I am calling the kettle black because the Statue of Liberty is in my backyard and I have yet to visit. I have been to the park adjacent to it though, if that counts
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 45
    Last post: 22 Jan 2013, 12:39 PM
  2. Back Yard Sports
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 14 Dec 2012, 12:27 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Oct 2007, 3:09 PM
  4. Replies: 31