Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm a cash dinosaur

I'm a cash dinosaur

I almost always pay with cash. Indeed, I have never, ever used my debit card for a purchase and frankly, I wouldn't know how. I use credit cards only for on-line or major in-store purchases.

Our planner seems never to have cash on him.

I'm guessing this is an age thing: I'm within shouting distance of 50 and he's not yet 30.

What about you? Good Old Greenbacks or plastic?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I use plastic, but for the last eight months it has been a debit card instead of credit.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I use my debit card a lot and I am about Gedunker's age. I keep some cash in my wallet, but it stays put more than it used to. I use my debit, instead. Which means I have to check my balance online a lot more to keep track of those purchases I am making from my checking account without my checkbook.

What I find most convenient about the debit card is I can buy my gas at the pump and even when the store is closed.

What I don't like about using the debit card is all the steps it takes. I am cool with swiping the card and tapping in the pin number. I am not cool about having to answer questions after what I consider the conclussion of business (do you want cash back?, Do you want a receipt? What is the velocity of an unladen African barn swallow?) I want to buy my groceries or gas. I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition. And, yes, I know that no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Plastic. Credit card for basically every purchase, then pay the full amount each month. I've never carried a balance, I just use the card for all of the benefits and for the convenience of being able to track every purchase online (for years and years worth of purchases).

I have a debit/ATM card through an internet bank that just allows you to use any ATM for free (they reimburse any ATM charges), but I never use the debit portion of it. I do pretty much always have some cash on hand, because there are a lot of local restaurants (mostly family-owned ethnic places) that don't take credit cards.

I haven't used a check in years.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    About 50/50 split between cash and debit card. I'm a couple years younger than Gedunker.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I keep enough in my pocket for things you just always buy with cash... like a drink at the bar. Other than that? Plastic... But, don't fret about me. Aside from one card that was silly enough to send me a "1.99% for the life of the balance transfer" all others are paid in full at the end of the month.

Why do I do this? Well, I'm about to cover over $500 in holiday gifts from kids to parents to siblings to, well, you get the idea... with my reward points. I send anything I can, including bills, through my cards. Sure makes shopping easy!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I never have any cash, I use a VISA debit as a credit card and earn points from the bank. I usually have enough points for some cool electronics about this time each year.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I use a debit card for everything. Sometimes carry cash, but not often. I swore off credit almost 10 years ago and my only debt is my car (and even thats only in the last 2 years). I have an emergency card in case I need bail.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

What, no poll?

I use my debit card almost exclusively. I have two credit cards but I'm going to stop using the Citicard. Anything charged to the credit card is paid off each month. I rarely have more than $50 cash in my wallet.

I'm more of a damn relic than I thought.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I rarely have more than $50 cash in my wallet.
    Me too after I got mugged

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Things I use credit cards for:

Gas
    Large Purchases
    Regular monthly bills like cell phone, car insurance

Rationale: I am have a low-interest air miles card, I get double miles for cell phone, gas, and groceries. The card is a gold card so I get double the factory warranty on major purchases, so I do not have to worry about buying the extra warranty insurance if I need say a new refrigarator. I pay off the card every month.

Things I use cash for:

Food. I am amazed at the number of people I see charging food, not just at fast food places but at markets too. Statistically you are more likely to buy crap if you put things on a credit card, so you are more likely to get fries with that burger, a large coke, or a dessert. The same is true for shopping at the market.

I only use my debt card to withdrawl money from the bank. I give myself an allowance and check it every couple of days to make sure I don't spend more than I have alotted myself. This way, I rarely have months where I spend more than I take in; and my budget is set-up so large purchases are covered.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I almost never have cash on me (re: I have a teenager!), use the debit card to pay nearly everything and a credit card for emergencies. I rarely write checks either as I use the bank's bill pay function or the company's website to make payments. The only reason I ever go inside to a teller is to get quarters for laundry.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    No Debit Card here.

I practice/behave just like several of the Cyburbian have posted above.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Credit cards are awful, so I'm done with them. I use mostly cash, with just the occassional debit card purchase. I find that by using cash rather than plastic, I spend much less. That's more money in the budget to go to paying off debt and saving for the future. If you haven't tried using cash rather than plastic, I would encourage you to do so for one month. No cost to try, and might keep some money in your pockets.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I always keep some cash on me and mostly use it for smaller things, like drinks or a cheap lunch. Mostly it's debit card and I use the credit cards much less often than I used to as I now realize what a scam they are.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Debit card for most regular expenses: e.g., groceries, gas, pet food.

I still use checks to pay utility bills and the like. I haven't switched over to online payments 'cause I don't want expenses to be deducted from my account automatically (though there may be another option that I haven't fully explored).

Credit card for large(r) purchases... depends on how much is in our checking account at any given time. We almost always pay off the balance each month.

It's unusual for me to carry more than $20 cash, if I even have that much. But if we're having dinner with other people and I know we'll need to split the check, I try to have more cash on me to make things easier.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I used to use a debit card all the time, but am deliberately using cash for most purchases. I pay as many bills as I can through my bank's web page, and they are not automatic payments.

I do like to use my debit card at the gas pump because it's convenient when I'm filling the tank.

I have no credit cards.

I'm the same age as Gedunker, but the real reason I'm using cash more is better planning on my part.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I use the debit card for everything. Never a credit card though.
    The nice part is that I can honestly tell the beggars that I don't have change to give them.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Mostly cash for me for the day-to-day stuff (fuel, food, adult beverage and so forth), CC for on-line and some recurring things, checks for 'mailed in' bills and rent and the DC for normal car service and repairs. Interestingly, my cell-phone company has a cash-accepting bill payment machine in their office that is über-convenient for me. I carry the CC with me as an 'emergency use only' thing.

----------

Interestingly, I saw an article a year or two ago that said that the USA's Federal Reserve has been seeing a noticeable and steady *increase* in the overall public demand for cash (as in coins and banknotes) since about 2001. They attributed that trend to several factors, including an increasing number of immigrants, many of whom come carrying a deep distrust of banks from the 'old' country, and personal fiscal discipline where people were overdrawing their debit and limiting out on credit accounts before they realized it - if you don't have the actual physical objects in the wallet, they can't be spent.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Mostly debit here, but that was because Bank of America didn't have any branches in the last 2 places that I lived. I just recently switched to a local credit union here and have begun to carry more cash. It seems like I don't tend to spend as much when compared to my debit card. I still use debit mostly, but have begun to use cash a bit more.

I have just finished paying off most my credit cards from college. The only debt I have is one large card, that should be paid off by Spring, my car, and of course student loans.

Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Food. I am amazed at the number of people I see charging food, not just at fast food places but at markets too. Statistically you are more likely to buy crap if you put things on a credit card, so you are more likely to get fries with that burger, a large coke, or a dessert. The same is true for shopping at the market.
    Well, that depends on how you look at credit cards. If you look at it as a shopping spree or as something you don't really care to pay off anytime soon, then yes, you're more likely to buy extraneous crap. I, on the other hand, look at it as an extension of my bank account - that is, I will be paying the whole balance off at the end of the month. So I won't be buying anything extra that I don't need because it's going to hurt me sooner than later.

So I would throw statistics aside in this case not think of it as "according to studies, you're 35% more likely to buy the Super Size meal with your credit card", and think of it more as "what do you consider your credit card to be?" If you're amongst those who kept refinancing their mortgages in years past, or amongst those who think of a credit card balance as free money, then yes - of course you're more likely to spend more on extras.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I'm more of a damn relic than I thought.
    I'm a cash most of the time of person. I'll use the CC for what little on-line perchases I go and that get paid off every month. I've had family members and my ex get burned by CC, so I shy away from using it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'd say I'm split about 50-50 between cash & debit card. Depends on my finances at the moment. After all, I'm a poor college student.

I also use checks...often for paying rent, bills, and reimbursing people.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I use cash for my small daily (or near daily purchases) such as lunch/morning coffee a few days a week. I also use cash for my Wednesday night bowling and bar tab as well.

Nearly every other purchase is made with my debit card. But I do try to always have a few dollars in cash on me at all times ($20 or so) in case of emergencies or if I stop somewhere that doesn't accept cards.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Build a building AND a dinosaur.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Dec 2012, 7:05 PM
  2. 'Cash in' movies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 18 Apr 2011, 6:19 PM
  3. Replies: 44