Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NYU v/s Columbia

Registered
    Feb 2011

NYU v/s Columbia

I want to pick between NYU and Columbia to apply.

For my case, I feel NY is an excellent destination for studying planning at the graduate level. Some of these factors that are playing on my mind are:
    • strength of programme/faculty
    • particular focus on transport.
      - I am apprehensive when I see the description of this concentration at NYU. It is all-encompassing, seems very broad with environment, i/f and transport thrown in together.

• I have done fin. software development for over 6 years in the past. I am looking for an environment that stresses upon the multi-disciplinary nature of the urban issues but at the same time has the depth/rigor to help me understand the fundamentals of the chosen concentration. Leaning towards transport and its relationships with landuse.

• generosity with funding
      Lack of financial assistance will be a deal-breaker. I am an international student.

Like to hear from Alumni/current students also.

Thanks in advance.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2012

NYU Funding

I was offered a half-scholarship to NYU. After I negotiated it became a full-ride. My understanding is that they only give a few of those a year.

I would apply to both schools and see what happens, but know that NYU doesn't give out that much funding.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Queenducky21 View post
    I was offered a half-scholarship to NYU. After I negotiated it became a full-ride. My understanding is that they only give a few of those a year.

I would apply to both schools and see what happens, but know that NYU doesn't give out that much funding.
    Where did you join finally? Also, just curious, what is your concentration interest.

Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by grapesfarmer View post
    I want to pick between NYU and Columbia to apply.

For my case, I feel NY is an excellent destination for studying planning at the graduate level. Some of these factors that are playing on my mind are:
    • strength of programme/faculty
    • particular focus on transport.
      - I am apprehensive when I see the description of this concentration at NYU. It is all-encompassing, seems very broad with environment, i/f and transport thrown in together.

• I have done fin. software development for over 6 years in the past. I am looking for an environment that stresses upon the multi-disciplinary nature of the urban issues but at the same time has the depth/rigor to help me understand the fundamentals of the chosen concentration. Leaning towards transport and its relationships with landuse.

• generosity with funding
      Lack of financial assistance will be a deal-breaker. I am an international student.

Like to hear from Alumni/current students also.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a 1st year student in Columbia's MSUP program. Though I can't speak to the financial aid package, I can vouch for the interdisciplinary format of the program. Columbia's strong suit is that it strikes a great balance between policy and design orientation, whereas NYU leans more heavily to policy. The program's core faculty tend to be more academic and/or theoretical, with the important exception of Dr. David King who is more transportation-oriented. Throughout the program there is heavy emphasis on cutting-edge aspects of urban planning and especially international themes. There are many options to take studios abroad, and the Studio X network through Columbia GSAPP offers interdisciplinary practicums and workshops in cities around the world. Not sure how long this has been the case, but this year nearly half of the program is composed of international students, with people hailing from China, Korea, Canada, Lebanon, Brazil, Philippines, Colombia, and many others.

So far I would say the greatest strength of the program has been the incredible range of adjunct/practitioner faculty who have been most impressive. These individuals are solid fixtures in NYC and among the best planners in the region. Most importantly, these are instructors who have decades of experience dealing with real issues unlike most tenured planning professors. I hope this helps your decision, good luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hi from Columbia MO!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 9:24 AM
  2. Columbia / USC
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Apr 2008, 4:05 PM
  3. Columbia
    Student Commons