Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: MSRED at Columbia

Registered
    Dec 2009

MSRED at Columbia

Anyone applying to the Columbia MSRED program? I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of GMAT scores they look for.

Registered
    Dec 2009

MRED

Auburn University has a new Executive MRED Program that is a blended residential (on-campus) program and a distance learning program. It allows you to continue working while getting a graduate degree in Real Estate Development. It is a two year program. You can find it at www.cadc.auburn.edu/aumred. Check it out.

I will be applying this year. I've got a 630 GMAT. From what I gather it's in there range but probably a little low. I've got decent work experience so I'm optimistic. I visited not to long ago and wasn't that impressed. However I applied to a few top MBA programs last year so I think that probably raised my expectation to high.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    I'm in the same boat. I got a 640 on my GMAT and didn't have time to retake it (didn't know about that 30 day rule). I'm also optimistic my work experience makes up for a GMAT score that was a bit lower than I was shooting for. How many years of work experience do you have? Are you still planning on applying to Columbia?

Quote Originally posted by robinpm View post
    Auburn University has a new Executive MRED Program that is a blended residential (on-campus) program and a distance learning program. It allows you to continue working while getting a graduate degree in Real Estate Development. It is a two year program. You can find it at www.cadc.auburn.edu/aumred. Check it out.
    Thanks...I'll check it out. I haven't come across any executive MSRED programs.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 27 Jan 2010 at 9:21 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Gator - did you apply to Columbia? Where else are you applying? I applied and I'm also applying at MIT, Cornell and USC.

I applied to Columbia, USC, MIT, Harvard, Miami and contemplating NYU and John Hopkins.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Gixxer - what is your preference of the schools you applied to? Not interested in Cornell?

I am also planning to apply to Columbia & MIT for 2011-12.

Any idea on which are the latest intakes?

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally posted by oDevelops21 View post
    Gator - did you apply to Columbia? Where else are you applying? I applied and I'm also applying at MIT, Cornell and USC.
    Yes, I applied to Columbia and MIT as well. I thought about Cornell but I couldn't take off 2 years of work to go to graduate school. It sounds like a great program though. USC's curriculum also enticed me, but I wanted to stay in the Northeast so I didn't apply there.

I applied to Columbia, Cornell and NYU....with a 620 in GMAT and 6 years of work-ex in planning/urban design..

Registered
    Jan 2010
    I applied with a 640 gmat and 3+ years of experience with a bank.

Anyone heard anything yet? Anyone speak with admissions recently?

GMAT 710, WE 3+
    Given how last year's was released on 3/13 (Friday), I would venture to guess that 3/12 will be the magic date this year.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    680 GMAT. 7+ years work experience in arch/const/dev

I expect the first round could come out this Friday, as well. I received an email from admissions today saying they were reviewing my application and needed me to resend some of the pages from my scholarship app. Don't know if the fact they are looking at my scholarship application means anything or not.

Registered
    Jan 2010
    What other schools have people applied to / been accepted to? Is Columbia your top choice?

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Only applied to two schools. First choice MIT (a long shot, with such a small class size). Second choice Columbia. But I'd be ecstatic to get in to either.

I got my acceptance from USC so a little pressure is off now that my cherry has been popped. But I'm still pretty anxious about MIT, Columbia and Harvard.

oDevelops21 - I didn't apply to Cornell because I didn't want to hang out in Ithaca and definitely didn't want to do it for two years. If they had a one year option I would have applied though.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Looking forward to Friday - hopefully we'll all have some answers on Columbia / MIT soon. Just curious if anybody has been denied from any programs yet? I've heard a lot of accept notices for USC and Cornell (myself included) but anyone get turned down?

I'm actually wondering the same thing. During my interview I asked how the program has changed and one of the answers was that with the degree getting more popularity the increased applicant pool is increasing the standard for accepted applicants. And in the admissions letter this same theme was repeated. With that being said I haven't heard from anyone that they were rejected. So either only admits have been going out or none of the people denied are posting the results online.

Does anyone know the usual acceptance rate for USC or Columbia? MIT says they usually accept about 30 people and they get between 130 - 150 applicants, so 20 - 23%. I guess I'm trying to see if the USC acceptance is a good proxy for the other programs.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    I know that sacred / phear_me has complied these statistics and posted them either in here or the BW forum previously for year's past. However, I would guess that they are seeing more applications this year. I personally know three or four people who never gave any thought to the programs before apply this year due to the prolonged poor RE economy, so that should be an indication that the programs are more competitive and are receiving more applications. However, I think the responses here are very limited (and biased) and don't help much drawing any conclusions. I'll repost the apps/accepts info sacred compiled if I can find it.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    I've got a friend in Columbia's program this year and he said last year's applicant pool was around 400. I don't know what the acceptance rate is but that would mean about a 25% matriculation.

MIT has actually reduced their class size. When I was there for the open house in the fall I spoke to some of the current students, of which there are only 13 this year. Apparently MIT wants the class size closer to 20 give or take going forward, but a few accepted people had to back out for personal / financial reasons last year. Hence the extremely small current class. My guess is that between the smaller class and record applications, the acceptance rate at MIT will be much lower this year.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    I noticed the small class size at MIT this year. That will make it a bit tougher, but honestly, that takes it down a notch for me when it comes time to decide (If admitted). I'd prefer if there were 30+ classmates. One of my key criteria for MRED is to meet a lot of people and expand my RE network. Being one of 13 sounds kind of miserable and counterproductive. Anyone feel similar?

I agree that a class size of 20 or smaller also brings it down a notch in my book. I was concerned with only 30 and that was one of my reasons for being tepid about Harvard. I definitely think that the field has grown to the level where they can fill up a class of 50-100 strong candidates. Especially considering all the top people in the country are apply to basically 4 programs (MIT, Columbia, USC and Cornell).

Look at Columbia. Even if only half of the people are A+ material you still get a network of 50 outstanding individuals and another 50 who are at least committed to the field. I know MIT has a great Alumni network but I don't see that making up for relationships that you make with fellow classmates. I guess if all 20 people are essentailly like Sam Zell and Stan Ross it would be okay, but then I probably wouldn't get accepted then

I've actually read the acceptance rates posted by phear_me/sacared I just didn't put to much stock into them.

From phear_me's '08 post:
    Columbia: 15% - 20% acceptance rate
    MIT: 15% acceptance rate
    USC: 20% acceptance rate

At the time the MIT numbers contradicted their own website, and I have no clue where he got the information for the other schools at.

He's got a lot of great information but is a little bit over zealous at times, so I take every thing with a grain of salt.

It's hard to imagine that acceptance rates are going south of these percentages. You're starting to talk about acceptance rates that are lower than Harvard and Stanford for MBA programs. When its harder to get into MIT for an MRED than Harvard or Stanford for an MBA then there is a problem. I would think class sizes should be increasing, especially if the applicant pool is getting strong. I want these people in class with me, not the second tier programs where they'll be forced to go.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    I agree with all of your points. Hopefully by tomorrow we will be able to truly evaluate all of our options if decisions are sent out. Saying no to MIT would be tough - but a class of 13 is very concerning. I'm looking forward to sacred's take on your question in BW.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    There is networking with your current class, there is networking with alumni, and there is networking with people in the industry.

MIT can't compete with Columbia on peer networking when you talk about class size. Networking with alumni is a wash I think. Columbia may have more alumni, but not enough to make a difference. It is about meeting the right people, not about meeting the most people who can help you in your career. In the industry, I think MIT has a better track record for turning out the best MSRED grads. Columbia has gone through several years of being relatively disorganized internally, has been lacking the funding that it needed to be truly top tier, and hasn't had the dedicated staff / professors required to serve the student body adequately. That appears to be changing now and I do think the program will be a great place to be in the coming year. Several MIT alumni I have spoken to have said that MIT made sure companies did visit, speak and actively recruit while they were there. More importantly, they said they felt like the companies were pitching themselves to the students rather than the other way around (and with that small of a class, there is no chance of getting lost in the crowd). Conversely, my friend at Columbia has said that recruiting there is practically non-existent and that it is essentially up to students to seek out their future without the assistance if the school. He is still happy with the program, but pointed it out as someone who may be hoping for a little more involvement on the part of the program. That said, both these schools have strong ties to major developers. They are both great programs and I'd be lucky to get accepted to either one.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Side note - I don't think MIT releases decisions until around April 1.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Jan 2014, 10:46 PM
  2. Columbia MsRED
    Student Commons
    Replies: 78
    Last post: 10 Sep 2009, 1:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Feb 2009, 3:51 PM
  4. Replies: 3