Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MSRED at Columbia

has anyone seen the rejection posted on thegradcafe.com for Columbia's MSRED?

it was dated March 10 2010

also as for Columbia's program-- they just got a lot of money via an endowment, got a new head (Vishan, from Related) and revamped the curriculum, which expands their program to make it longer--

word of a rejection

Has anyone seen that rejection posted on thegradcafe for Columbia MSRED?

i heard this year that they are doing rejections first, then acceptances via email notice to check the website...

Registered
    Dec 2009
    interesting. and where did you hear that?

re

on thegradcafe dot com.... if you type in GSAPP or MSRED in the search listings, it is one of the first listings...

I currently am a M.Arch at GSAPP, and have been impressed with the moves they have made to change the MSRED program, giving it new prominence within the school at Columbia, etc...

the new director, Vishaan Chakrabarti, is a badass-- his connections have already been felt in the whole school, and is part of the reason why I am taking the plunge into the no mans land of being an architect-developer

anyways I know that the M.Arch letters of rejection have gone out, but not the acceptances...not sure about MSRED though, except for the aforementioned post on grad cafe

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Ryan - thanks for your insight. I was able to find that on the grad cafe. I'm glad I didn't get a rejection email yet - still hoping for the best from Columbia and MIT. I'm sure all of us here would appreciate anything else you could tell us about your experience at Columbia and what you may have overheard from the MRED program.

thanks.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Just got an email directing me to check the website. In at Columbia! But without any scholarship funding. Not sure I will go without any funding at all.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    I'm in too!

Add me to the list of accepted!!!!!!

We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for admission to the M.S. Real Estate Development program for the 2010-2011 academic year. Congrats everyone!!!

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Jane, how do you know you didn't get a scholarship? How did the person on gradcafe know they did? I didn't see anything indicating one way or the other.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Anyone get scholarship offers from USC / Cornell / Columbia?

Cornell but not nothing significant enough to make much of a difference overall.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Yeah, I got the same from Cornell.

I got some $ from USC but not really enough to sway me. Now that I'm in at Columbia it's pretty much between Columbia, MIT and Harvard. And maybe an outside chance of Miami if I get big scholarship $$$ and can land a nice job.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by oDevelops21 View post
    Jane, how do you know you didn't get a scholarship? How did the person on gradcafe know they did? I didn't see anything indicating one way or the other.
    The fourth Paragraph in my acceptance letter, right after the tuition numbers:

"I regret that we are unable to offer you financial aid in the form of a scholarship or fellowship. We hope that you will be able to attend Columbia on student loan funds. The Student Financial Services Office (212-854-7040) will send you a complete financial aid package shortly. Please remember that you are welcome to re-apply for a scholarship next year as long as you are a citizen or permanent resident of the United States and are enrolled as a full-time student at the GSAP"

Registered
    Dec 2009
    I got the acceptance email to Columbia today too. Congrats to all of you as well! I guess I'll see you guys this summer.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    That's interesting, that paragraph is not in my letter.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    I just received an email from Maria Vieira at MIT informing me I have been accepted! I am completely shocked. She said formal info would arrive soon but thought I would want to know as soon as possible.

Registered
    Mar 2010
    I was recently accepted to Columbia's MURP program, any idea if its possible to try to do a dual degree in MSRED once i'm already enrolled?

Registered
    Jan 2011

2011 APPLICANTS

Just looking to start this thread back-up with some updated applicants for the 2011-2012 school year.

I applied to:
    MIT
    USC
    Columbia
    Johns Hopkins
    (opted against Cornell b/c it's in upstate NY)

I have a 710 GMAT, 7+ yrs WE (appraisal, prop. mgmt, finance, marketing, acct'g)
    Good undergrad school and extracurriculars, but my GPA is way low.

Q:
    Any insight on the USC MRED interview?
    Where did you apply? Why?
    What's your background?
    What are you looking to do in RE?
    Have you heard any admissions decisions yet?

Registered
    Nov 2010
    I applied as well. Only applied to Columbia because I couldn't justify leaving the workforce for any other program - it seems to me that it's clearly head and shoulders above the rest.

My stats are as follows:
    660 GMAT
    6.5 years of RE work experience (multifamily consulting)
    Top 25 undergrad with a 3.5 GPA
    Highly active ULI participation

I'm really hoping that's enough to put me over the top.

Any idea what last year's acceptance rates were? Based on a fair amount of web-browsing, I've heard it was around 20%.

Registered
    Jan 2011

I heard the same thing about Columbia (~20%) acceptance.

I think Columbia looks like a safe bet for you. They have a nice class size to build your network from, and the opportunity in New York is obvious compared to smaller markets.

I went to an info session on the MIT MSRED, and the people there, some of whom are Columbia alums, didn't have a lot of good things to say about the Columbia program. That's probably b/c they're trying to drum up interest for their own program, but the main complaints had to with too many PT professors, guest speakers (rather than problem solving), and deficient career services.

For these reasons I would probably lean towards MIT or USC if given the option, but an Ivy League education in New York City is hard to beat.

Registered
    Feb 2011

USC MRED Interview

Any tips for the USC MRED admissions interview?

Registered
    Feb 2011

Columbia MSRED

Any chance decisions will start coming out this week?

Registered
    Feb 2011

USC MRED

Accepted to USC. Any news about Columbia, MIT and Harvard GSD?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Jan 2014, 10:46 PM
  2. Columbia MsRED
    Student Commons
    Replies: 78
    Last post: 10 Sep 2009, 1:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Feb 2009, 3:51 PM
  4. Replies: 3