Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MSRED at Columbia

Registered
    Mar 2011

MRED at USC or MSRED at NYU

Just got accepted to USC for this summer, but due to the short time to prepare for the mmove from Miami, I am considering applying to the NYU Program for the fall.

Would that be a mistake? Not sure where I would like to live upon graduating...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Has anyone considered National University of Singapore's MSRED programme? Just curious... it's been an idea I've been tossing around for a little while. NUS is definitely a top world school, and it strikes me that a city state such as Singapore would have some very interesting learning opportunities. I seem to recall that the classes were all evening as well, so that you could work while enrolled.

Another advantage: Cheap tuition, and living expenses which are certainly not higher than you'd find while attending Columbia...

NUS MSRED - http://www.rst.nus.edu.sg/programme/mre/index.htm
    NUS MBA w/ RE - http://www.rst.nus.edu.sg/programme/mbare/index.htm
    NUS MAUD - http://www.arch.nus.edu.sg/maud/index.htm
    NUS MLA - http://www.arch.nus.edu.sg/mla/index.htm
    Last edited by abrowne; 04 Mar 2011 at 3:54 AM. Reason: links...

Registered
    Feb 2011

Congrats PG

Is USC your top choice?

Registered
    Feb 2011

Thanks abcd

Don't know yet, either USC or MIT.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Congrats Vie!

I didn't apply to NYU. Have you checked the top real estate programs thread http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx...ols&tid=73399? It has some good discussions.

Registered
    Jan 2011

hey PG14

Hey PG14,

I guess the interview, went well, congrats.

How were you notified, email? Or did you have to log into the application?

Registered
    Jan 2011

also...

for those who have been accepted, could you share some info about your profile?

Thanks, and congrats again.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Thanks trashcarters

USC- accepted 3/3, informed via email, official letter and info packet to follow. I didn't have to log in.

Columbia- accepted 3/4, received an email notification to check the decision online.

Stats:
    Female, International, 4+ years exp, Bachelors in Architecture, Masters in Const Mgmt, Solid GPA, GMAT 670, TOEFL 112

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Just found out via email that I was accepted to Columbia. It was the only school that I applied to, so I'm definitely excited.

Stats: 29yo, 6.5 years RE experience, GMAT 660, Top 25 school with 3.5 GPA

Registered
    Feb 2011

Accepted Columbia

Pretty damn excited. Waiting to hear back from a couple of MBA programs, but I think I'll end up at Columbia. I like the fact that the program is only a year in length.

Registered
    Jan 2011

Columbia

Accepted at Columbia 3/4, and Hopkins a while back.

Still waiting on others.

Best of luck to everyone out there.

Registered
    Feb 2011

MIT MSRED

I just received my acceptance notification via email!

Registered
    Jun 2011

Columbia MRED

hi all

i am currently interested in the columbia MRED program as well as NYU MSRED. im trying to conduct my due diligence and am having a hard time getting an idea of what the schools are looking for in terms of admissions.

does anyone know or can direct me to the admission stats for both? (GRE range, GPA, WE) i know that columbia doesnt require work experience but it helps at least.

PROFILE:
    GRE: 1350 (dont know if i should retake it!)
    verbal: 620
    math:730

B.Arch from Carnegie Mellon University
    GPA 3.0

2 years work experience in an architecture firm.

any help would really be appreciated.
    thanks in advance!

Registered
    Oct 2011

Columbia MSRED

Hey all,

I am very interested in the MSRED program offered at Columbia. I am wondering if anyone knows what type of undergraduate universities (Ivy League, Top 10 business schools, etc) previously accepted applicants have come from ? Also, which qualifications (GMAT, GPA, WE, Recommendations) are held the highest?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Jan 2012

Columbia MSRED 2012

Hello everyone! I'm a little concerned. I recently took the GMAT and got 550. I have a 3.9 GPA, summa cum laude. Worked in Real Estate for the last 4 years. I'm aplying to Columbia MSRED and I think my GMAT is too low to get accepted. Do you think I should wait until next year and retake the GMAT or send the app anyway??!! please help!!

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by ngaggino View post
    Hello everyone! I'm a little concerned. I recently took the GMAT and got 550. I have a 3.9 GPA, summa cum laude. Worked in Real Estate for the last 4 years. I'm aplying to Columbia MSRED and I think my GMAT is too low to get accepted. Do you think I should wait until next year and retake the GMAT or send the app anyway??!! please help!!

Just my $0.02, but you don't lose anything by applying two years in a row. Worst case, you don't get accepted and have to retake the GMAT and re-apply (why is a GMAT required for a planning degree again?).
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

You should apply.

You have a great GPA and your experience may be appealing (depending on which kind of RE experience you have). Definitely you should have good and interesting rec. letters and good statements of purpose... those programs are a lot of how you may fit in the program. Also... they are slightly less competitive than 3-4 years ago... R.E. is not a very appealing industry for many people right now.

Registered
    Jan 2012

Applicants for 2012-2013??

I couldn't find on the net any recent blogs for MSRED applicants (eg 2012-2013)... Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Alternatively, we could simply start one here. I'm sure there is a significant number of applicants out there that have worked there butts off to apply on time, refine and refine their essays and mobilise their contacts for reference letters, and it would be great that we stay connected while the juries are out...

Here is my status:

-I applied on 14 Jan 2012 (yeah last minute...) to MSRED 2012 / 2013 at Columbia and NYU (need to be in NY!)
    -GMAT 680
    -10 years experience (7 in RE advisory and hotel dev)

Response time: reading some of the older posts, I guess we should hear back from Columbia early March?? Does anyone have a view on this? Also any clue as to what the response time is at NYU?
    Profile: any idea whether my above credentials could make the cut?
    Other candidates: any other candidates out there? It would be great if we can use this forum to list our profile, share any feedback we get on our applications (ie acceptance, invitations for interviews, etc.).

Take care

Registered
    Jan 2012

MSRED Admissions

Wondering if anyone heard back from Admissions for Columbia's MSRED 2012 / 2013?

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Just got accepted to Columbia, anyone else have any luck? Now time to decide between there and Cornell (school of hotel admin, real estate concentration).

Registered
    Jan 2012

Msred Admission

Congrats rscott. I'm in at Columbia & NYU. Time to make up my mind... Tilting towards Columbia though given its 1 yr program and its large nbr of elective courses.
    All the best!!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Placement at Columbia

Hi, I have also been accepted to the Columbia program. I am trying to do more research on the program, because I would like to attend, but want more information about the placement of recent graduates before I commit. Does anyone have better information in this regard?

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Congrats guys. I'm in the same position as far as hoping to learn a bit more about how people's job searches are going post program. If you find anything out, please share. I'll probably send them an email right now to find out. I know they've recently revamped the program, but I haven't found much for reviews besides this:

http://www.astudentoftherealestatega...rogram-review/

Registered
    Mar 2012
    I wrote the program administrator today in regards to opportunities that students have been finding (specifically American students) and where those jobs are available (also if there are international opportunities for american students). This is what I got back:

Thanks for writing. The answer is that it really varies—last year many of the American students opted to stay in the NYC area after graduation (at least for a year or two), while many of the international students returned to their home countries because of greater opportunities. We have three US students that I know of that are working in Asia from last year’s class. It really depends on the class—some people know that they want to return to their home state/country, others are more open and would be happy in many different markets. Most of the job postings we receive regularly are in the NYC area, but I’d say that about a third of them are in the rest of the country/international positions. People do a variety of different things afterwards: acquisitions, asset management, family real estate or personal projects, REITs, underwriting, affordable housing, consulting, RE Law, project management, etc. Students have access to the central “Center for Career Education” at Columbia, but last year’s class was the first to benefit from Emily Griffen, our terrific Career Development Officer. She is currently on maternity leave (back July 1st) but she sets up the spring career fair, coaches students, sets up panels, connects students with alumni, manages employer relations, etc. In the meantime I’m sending out the job postings to the current students and alumni. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Hope that helps you out a bit. Please share any insight you can gain as well.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Columbia Placement

From what I hear, the placement is similar to the other programs, such as USC, MIT, and Cornell. Some people make more or less depending on what industries and roles they assume. Class placement is higher than I thought with most students getting placed within 1 to 3 months, but this is conjecture, and I am still hoping to connect with some students from last year's class and get some better answers in this regard. As of now, I am leaning towards attending Columbia, but I am not 100% there yet. Is anyone else going to the admitted students day on April 10th?

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Jan 2014, 11:46 PM
  2. Columbia MsRED
    Student Commons
    Replies: 78
    Last post: 10 Sep 2009, 2:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Feb 2009, 4:51 PM
  4. Replies: 3