Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: MSRED at Columbia

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Also, I just came across the following piece of info on Colombia's placement from a NY times article:

It is extremely competitive, said Mr. Chakrabarti, who left his position as an executive vice president of design and planning at the Related Companies 18 months ago to lead the Columbia program. Of the 94 students who graduated in May, 87 percent are now employed, he said.

(This excerpt is from the following article
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/re...ss&emc=dlbka22

Given the date the article was published, I am guessing the 87% employment rate is for 6 months after the program in 2010

COLUMBIA MSRED INTERNSHIP

Hey guys, I also got my acceptance into Columbia. I was also accepted at MIT and NYU.

I am leaning heavily towards Columbia but did want to see placement stats and had a question on the internship/class format. Does anyone know if it is even possible to do the internship during the program or is it just a partial internship? I thought I saw something on my research that you can do an internship during fall or spring. Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Congrats on the acceptance! I think it's certainly possible to do an internship during the studies and encouraged. The program will also try to help set you up with one. I spoke with a student for about 30 minutes the other day and he was extremely high on the program. He thought that it gave a great amount of access to upper level players with a number of major companies and that it has certainly improved his abilities/helped him land a job. He did say that many of his classmates had not found jobs yet, but he thought they likely would either before the program ends or soon after. It seemed like he had done quite a bit more networking during the program than some others so that probably helped. He also held an internship in each semester of the program, so I wouldn't worry about the program being too intensive to allow that.

Courses

Great info., thanks!

Has anyone been able to get a hold of a course syllabus or anything that goes into detail of the courses Columbia offers (Core or Elective)? Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Columbia is one of the best Master of Real Estate Development Programs, but be careful. The networking powerhouse in New York City is the NYU Real Estate Program.

If you are considering the DC/Chesapeake Region, think about Georgetown or Maryland. Johns Hopkins is also an option which splits time between Baltimore and DC.

In the south, the best programs are probably Clemson (master of real estate development) or Florida (for aspiring brokers).

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Admitted students day. Did anyone go to this? I was planning on going, but had to be in LA on business. If so, how was it? What was the turnout like? How did the other current and prospective students seem? Also, did you learn anything about the program? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Open house

Quote Originally posted by jarycurl View post
    Admitted students day. Did anyone go to this? I was planning on going, but had to be in LA on business. If so, how was it? What was the turnout like? How did the other current and prospective students seem? Also, did you learn anything about the program? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Did anyone attend? I'm an admitted student but couldn't make it as well. I'd also like to know how it turned out. Thanks.

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by Redrain View post
    Congrats rscott. I'm in at Columbia & NYU. Time to make up my mind... Tilting towards Columbia though given its 1 yr program and its large nbr of elective courses.
    All the best!!
    Hello, I recently joined this forum..

I got accepted at Columbia, and am planning to join. Hey.. 'Redrain' saw from your profile that you are also from Dubai. Have you decided to attend Columbia?

Registered
    Jan 2012

made my pick

Columbia it is... Congrats to all
    For what it's worth, a good friend of mind did Columbia's MSRED in 2008 and he raves about the program and the school's network... He's now high up at Goldman (Real Estate) based out of Europe. Columbia brand had a big role to play in his career boost he says.
    @xerxes, I leave Dubai on 26th... let's connect if you're around.
    @rscott/jarycurl. Thanks for the info/links! great stuff.

Registered
    Apr 2012
    For what it's worth, a good friend of mind did Columbia's MSRED in 2008 and he raves about the program and the school's network... He's now high up at Goldman (Real Estate) based out of Europe. Columbia brand had a big role to play in his career boost he says.
    @redrain, sorry I will be coming to Dubai only on 28th, will meet you in Columbia then..
    And, what about accommodation, did you get the university housing or will you be staying off campus? Please let us know.

Registered
    Apr 2012

Hello

@redrain, sorry I will be coming to Dubai only on 28th, will meet you in Columbia then..
    And, what about accommodation, did you get the university housing or will you be staying off campus? Please let us know.

Registered
    Jun 2012
    Hi!
    I am plan on applying to a MRED Program, my top choices are Columbia, Harvard, MIT
    But find little information on the web! can someone give me some advise, should I retake the GMAT?
    How hard is to get into those programs, I know they are really competitive.

GPA 3.9
    Bachelor in Architecture
    2 years work experience
    GMAT 600

Anything would help

Quote Originally posted by tussa View post
    Hi!
    I am plan on applying to a MRED Program, my top choices are Columbia, Harvard, MIT
    But find little information on the web! can someone give me some advise, should I retake the GMAT?
    How hard is to get into those programs, I know they are really competitive.

GPA 3.9
    Bachelor in Architecture
    2 years work experience
    GMAT 600

Anything would help
    I would retake the GMAT. It is a bit low to me. It shouldn't be hard to improve with some study either. You don't probably need a 750 like for some top MBA but having a high 600 would certainly look better. It is still 6 months to the deadline of most (or all) of the programs you want to apply. Plenty of time ahead.

As for competitiveness, it will depend on many factors: the number of people applying in your year, your background (architecture, financial/real estate, others), your nationality (being foreigner should not hurt but Mexico is probably already well represented in most of those programs) and the typical stats (rec. letters, statement of purpose - you want to build resorts in Cancun or work for PE in NYC?, GPA - good -, which kind of experience you have...)

Registered
    Jul 2012
    Hey guys- I am new to this forum and it looks awesome so far. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

I am currently graduating college and have been working in real estate for 2 years. I bought a house with fam and friend money, fixed it up and resold. Did this to 3 other houses and really enjoyed the experience. Last year I joined a real estate investment group and worked full time while in school. So I have one year of full time experience at a firm and another year through personal experience. I am now in the process of purchasing a 10 condo unit.

My goal is to start an investment group in the future and so I would like to go for a masters in real estate before I start my career. I have been focusing on particular markets and I need a formal education on how to analyze any property in all areas- to make a diversified portfolio. Because I am so young and don't have capital, I had to start with very cheap houses- which I am completely fine with.

I am looking to apply to a masters in real estate at Columbia, MIT, USC and Harvard.

1) 3 years of experience- 2 professional, one personal.
    2) 3.8 gpa economics
    3) 610 GMAT 38/35

I know my gmat is low. I have an A and A+ in two math classes in college- if that helps. My quant ability is defenitely not that low. My question is would I have a reasonable shot or am I not what those schools are looking for?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Redrain, Congrats! a bit late though but I hope that this has been the right decision for you.

I have experience in real estate investment and am currently evaluating whether MSRED is the the right course for me. Would be great if I could get in touch with you directly. Would really appreciate any help on this.

Registered
    Dec 2012
    I'm a little late to the thread...

I see lots of GMAT scores but no GRE. Has anyone been accepted with only a GRE score? I see that most programs accept it. Or at least they say they do.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    I am currently a student in the Columbia program, I only submitted a GRE score. I will say that Columbia has a cut off. You need to score above a certain number or you will not go to the next round of review period. If anyone wants to ask me some questions, I know how stressful the process is, shoot. The only issue is though I took the old GRE. Also, the schools are quite honest, if you call and ask if your score is good enough, they will tell you.

Registered
    Feb 2013
    GMAT 710, GPA 3.5 (at Yale College), 3 years of experience at family firm.

Applied to Columbia, so far it's my top choice! Who else has applied? Let's revive this thread, decisions to come in the next 2-3 weeks!

Registered
    Feb 2013
    Heard last night that I'm in at Columbia

Any other applicants who heard back?

Registered
    Feb 2013

MBA or MSRED?

Existing students of MSRED and anyone who has some thoughts on the subject - I have started a thread discussing MSRED vs MBA. I've been incredibly confused about this for the last year, and now I need to make up my mind! If you could please check out my thread and offer some thoughts here:

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...638#post669638

Hello everyone:

Im new to this forum and Im not sure if this is the place to go/if my question is appropriate for this forum, but heres question and feel free to let me know if I should go somewhere else:

Do you necessarily need experience in a 100% real estate-focused job to get into a top program like Colombia or MIT?

Heres some background:

Im about to be a senior undergrad with a double major in Accounting and Real Estate. Im torn because Ive been offered a job with a large accounting firm within their tax practice almost a full year before I graduate- specifically with their Property Tax team . Their team essentially looks at different companies real estate holdings to see if they can challenge the assessment on it or not.

The job pays surprisingly well and the firm will also pay for me to take the CPA exam. If everything goes perfectly, I would like to work for maybe three years and then go to a top MRED program, but Im worried that working for a public accounting firm, even if its within their Property Tax team, wouldnt be related enough. Im not sure whether I should accept the job or not and look for a more real estate development-related job right out of college.

Has anyone who has been to/gotten into one of these top programs know if doing property tax at a public accounting firm is something that a top program would find acceptable?

Registered
    Jan 2014

Recommendation letter

I'm applying to MSRED at Columbia and NYU this year. NYU requires 2 recommendations while Columbia requires 3. I am going to ask my co-worker and my direct manager for the first two letters, but I'm still not sure who'd be the best as a 3rd recommender. I have few prospects:
    1. my mentor in real estate investment who has known me for 4 years and advised me on investments.
    2. former employer manager
    3. lawyer or mortgage broker I've worked with for 1 year (I think this is my least favorite)
    4. any suggestions?

I would really appreciate your valuable advice. Thanks!

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Jan 2014, 11:46 PM
  2. Columbia MsRED
    Student Commons
    Replies: 78
    Last post: 10 Sep 2009, 2:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Feb 2009, 4:51 PM
  4. Replies: 3