Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Beginning of a Habit

Feb 2004
    on my 15 minute break

The Beginning of a Habit

Habit? Or should that be addiction? When did you start drinking coffee?

Me, I started late in the game. I seldom drank coffee up until my 30's but I made up for lost time and probably drink 4-5 cups a day now. I started drinking coffee on a regular basis out of necessity after experiencing enough sleep deprived nights and needed to get through the day.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    May 2003
    Northwestern Ohio
    Habits and this Bear.....

Late 1960s, going to university and working in a manufactring plant. The factory workers all drank coffee and I started with hot chocolate......that lasted about a week.....tried coffee.....been drinking it black since. (I don't drink nearly as much as I used to.)

Me and a neighbor, about 12 years of age, found a dirty book in the wooded area by our house.

Never did. Not even the "wacky ta-backy".

Mom was a super baker. 61 years later, my blood sugar is high and chocolate is a once-in-a-great-while thingy. A habit kicked.

Fake (Amish) City Maps & Document Development
    Junior year in high school. The rest is history.

See above entry for "Pron".

Occupy Cyburbia!

Jul 2007
    more West now
    I used to drink a cup of coffee a week...then I went to Planning Grad School, now one cup day! I blame einsteins coffee on campus completely
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

I take my caffine carbonated

My Dad kept telling me I couldn't graduate from college without learnign to drink coffee - I drank Pepsi instead.

Now I love the smell of coffee, not just the taste.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Aug 2005
    Above urban19's plane field
    I drank coffee as a kid (started around eight or nine years old) - usually just a cup on Saturday morning (with milk and sugar). Started drinking it more frequently as an undergrad, got hooked on it in grad school, and have now settled into a two cups a day habit (black - no cream, no sweetener).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Jun 2003
    De Noc
    As a teenager. Now I am good for at least
    I take mine with nondairy creamer & splenda.
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Jan 2009
    Remote command post at local bar
    It developed slowly, first a can a day if I could find it, but I would substitute other things.
    Then it grew to a couple cans.
    Now it's a full blown addiction to Dr. Pepper.
    You're lucky if you see me without one.

I never picked up on coffee.
    Smoking started when I was 18 in the Navy. Started with cigars and never left.
    I won't touch the cigarettes.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Jul 2006
    Suburban Chicago
    I'm a 2 cups of Joe a day girl. I can go without it, though. I need it mostly during the week as my pre-sitting down to my desk and computer warming up habit. I take it black, thank you. I don't love the taste of it, but it's there and it's warm and...it's a habit.

I didn't drink coffee until I was working full time. I didn't drink it in college (perhaps the ocassional latte....) because coffee shops didn't come into full vogue until I was in graduate school. My parents were the percolator types of coffee drinkers, which always tasted burned and horribly bitter to me.

And I cannot drink the stuff after 1:00PM in the afternoon or I'll be up all night.

I know I can go without coffee because each time I've been pregnant, I couldn't stand the small of coffee. Even a whiff of it would send me to the bathroom with dry heaves. Someone's coffee breath was an occassion for shunning them out of the room. Not sure what's that's all about (other than a crazed and hyper sense of smell).

Feb 2007
    As far south of SoCal as I Will Go
    I started drinking coffee around the age of 7. It started with the weekend "cafe con leche". I would drink a random cup of coffee here and there from high school through college, typically to start a day or if i had some sort of desert at a family get together or if i told myself i need to wake up. I typically average 1 cup a day on weekdays now. I can go without it as well, days on end. I can drink it in the evenings with no ill effect. The caffeine does nothing to me. Now after 3 or 4 cups in a row, that is a different story.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Jul 2003
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Blog entries
    I am Otterpop. I have a three or four Coke habit. Started in my teens and never looked back. I drink the Coke Classic. Have a no caffeine one in the evening. Wish they still made it with the real sugar and not fructose.

I don't drink coffee. If I did, I would like it the way I like my women - black and bitter.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Aug 2001
    Western Pennsylvania
    I seldom drink coffee. I used to drink a lot of Coke, Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper. Now I might have on once a week.

I don't crave chocolate any more. Can't explain that one.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. creatures of habit and reading
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Feb 2012, 3:54 PM
  2. Creatures of Habit
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 02 Jul 2007, 6:51 PM
  3. Transportation planner beginning
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 Jan 2007, 1:16 AM
  4. Cheap gas Is a bad habit
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Sep 2005, 8:41 PM
  5. Are automobiles our worst drug habit?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 30 Aug 2004, 7:31 PM