Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: LSE, UCL, or Westminster.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008

LSE, UCL, or Westminster.

Good morning, I am setting the final details on my application schools and am stuck to make a decision between the London School of Economics (MSc in City Design and Social Sciences), University of Central London (Master of International Planning), and University of Westminster (Master of Urban and Regional Planning).

I have worked internationally as a landscape architect and land planner for about three years now and intend to get into the realm of urban planning while maintaining my interest in design (specifically with a specialization in international planning).

Between the three UK schools, which one do you feel ranks the best? Being from the US I have heard of LSE and UCL, but am still unfamiliar on Westminster which seems to be a sub par school compared to the other two (although lower tuition). I've been attracted to UCL on the basis that it's housed in an architecture school, however I thought diversification into something more policy oriented might open more doors for me in the long run.

Any thoughts?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by archdav View post
    Good morning, I am setting the final details on my application schools and am stuck to make a decision between the London School of Economics (MSc in City Design and Social Sciences), University of Central London (Master of International Planning), and University of Westminster (Master of Urban and Regional Planning).

I have worked internationally as a landscape architect and land planner for about three years now and intend to get into the realm of urban planning while maintaining my interest in design (specifically with a specialization in international planning).

Between the three UK schools, which one do you feel ranks the best? Being from the US I have heard of LSE and UCL, but am still unfamiliar on Westminster which seems to be a sub par school compared to the other two (although lower tuition). I've been attracted to UCL on the basis that it's housed in an architecture school, however I thought diversification into something more policy oriented might open more doors for me in the long run.

Any thoughts?

All are good schools and I looked at all 3 before Deciding on Brookes, here are my experiences (My masters is Urban Design)-

Westminster- good program, not considered one of the elite schools, Masters in UD was very design based, some interesting material produced by the tutors, laid back for an English school. It is cheaper because it is not considered as elite.

UCL- masters in UD was verrrry cutting edge, if you are a traditionalist do not go there, courses taught by former members of Archigram… way out, but kinda cool. Planning department is more remote from UD, which turned me off totally. However planning department when I interviewed was headed by Peter Cook, who is brilliant, I have no idea if he is still involved with the school or not. Big into space syntax theory.

LSE, very socially oriented, was run by Richard Sennett at the time, brilliant guy, totally new way of looking at planning. Norman Foster was one of the faculty members, or lectured there routinely. Big into anything new, space syntax, globalization affect on the city, fractal geometry… Good school, considered #2 after Oxbridge, but not as weighted down by old English culture.

Here is the best advice I can give you, set up visits in advance with the tutors , go to England talk with students, tutors, look at the work, get a feel for what your comfortable with, ask tons of questions. It will make it easier.

Hope this helps
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Mar 2011

Masters

Hey,
    I have got offers from both Westminster (Urban and Regional Planning) and UCL (International Planning). I'm having a tough choice choosing between the two.
    Which one did you end up going for, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    I know this is kind of late, but I'd say "post this in the Student Lounge". It's where all the other threads about school acceptance are going.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Ochadie,

Sorry for just now responding. I ended up deciding on LSE and am expected to graduate this September. Overall, I have to say it was a great decision for me.

I actually didn't look much further into Westminister, but I've heard nothing but great things about UCL. Personally, that would probably be the route I would suggest, but ultimately it is your decision.

UCL is housed in the Bartlett which is a great school. Westminister I would assume is more policy based.

Hope that helps a bit!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Moved from the former Planning in the UK forum.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2013
    Archdav,

I am a 27 year old architect, and my background in terms of work experience is a mixture of urban planning and architecture.

The career path I would ideally wish to follow would be as a "urban practitioner". I would like to find a position where my communication and organization skills and my background of studies (humanities before and related to the built environment later) could be utilized in a role with a direct connection to people and communities.

I received the offers from LSE (MSc City Design and Social Science) and from UCL (MRes Urban Design and International Planning and Sustainable Planning). The possibility to study for one year in London is a unique occasion for me, and I would like to make the right choice.

Can you help me? Which master do you think could prepare me and give me the best possibilities?

Thank you !

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Hi Ser,

Actually from the sound of it you may prefer the course at LSE. I was in a similar direction and the course has served me well.

UCL is also a very good university. However, from your interest in 'breaking away' from the built environment slight, LSE might be a more all around course.

The Cities course is amazing, I would highly recommend it. You should also try taking option courses in different areas (such as sociology, planning, etc.). One of the best things about LSE is the public events and the range of students from all sorts of backgrounds. Plus being in London itself is an amazing experience. Best of luck in your decision.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 15 Feb 2012, 7:05 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 5:00 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 4:40 AM
  4. Westminster Dog Show
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 18 Feb 2004, 9:59 AM