Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Land use lawyer or urban planner

Registered
    Dec 2009

Land use lawyer or urban planner

I was in the process of applying to law schools (took the LSAT, got Letters of Recommendation, wrote the bulk of my personal statement) when I started to wonder if law school was for me. I am a Political Science major about to finish undergrad and about halfway through undergrad I gained an interested in urban studies and planning and decided to do a minor and some extra courses in it. I know that I want to do something related to land use and planning in the future, but since I've always been set on law school I thought land use law may be an attractive option. At the same time, I get the most enjoyment out of reading planning books that discuss the historical, theoretical and social aspects of planning. In a word, I like reading academic material about planning, but I'm also interested in learning more about the actual planning process.

With that, can anyone give me some insight as to the differences between a land use lawyer and a city planner? I know the basic differences, but I'm really interested in knowing if I can expand on my interests through a career in law. My main worry is that I will end up going to law school and losing my interests along the way.

Thanks

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Well, a recent gradute from either field is in the same boat: unemployed.

Consider a dual degree in both. Land use law firms want persons with planning backgrounds. If you decide you do want to practice law, the JD might give you a heads up for planning jobs, especially those places that like letters after your name.

If you can get away from state zoning querks and legal minutia, both fields really just teach you how to think.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Lawyer, at least you have $$$ to chase. Depending on who you work for, you might work the same hours anyways. Its not a good time to be a lawyer either, but how many people do you know who can walk into a bar and say Im an urban planner and get chicks all over them? Well maybe Brad Pitt.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the responses. I think I'll stick with the JD since I'm no Brad Pitt. Also, reading the Cyburbia Career Forums has been nothing short of a frightening experience with respect to job prospects and starting salary. I'll stick around though

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    The viewpoints at jdunderground.com are 1000x worse than ANYTHING you will find on this forum. If I were you I would think long and hard about the route you are about to take.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by CubbieBlue View post
    The viewpoints at jdunderground.com are 1000x worse than ANYTHING you will find on this forum. If I were you I would think long and hard about the route you are about to take.
    My (many) lawyer friends in the Bay Area talk of apocalypse and similar terms. And they are living on savings from the piles of money they made before our country turned the corner into decline. This is not to say planning prospects are any better.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A day in the life of a land use lawyer?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 30 May 2013, 5:56 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Feb 2013, 5:05 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Jun 2010, 1:46 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Jan 2010, 11:51 PM
  5. New member- land use lawyer
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7