Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Know of any directories/lists of firms/organizations?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008

Know of any directories/lists of firms/organizations?

I'm a grad student starting the internship-hunting process for next summer and I'm having some trouble finding a good list of firms or research organizations/non-profits. I have a few specific cities in mind (SF, Boston, DC, Austin, Vancouver).

Prior to grad school I worked for the AIA and we had an exhaustive list of all member firms broken down by specialty, location, size, etc. Does anything comparable exist for planning/urban design?

If it helps, I'm mostly looking for multi-discipline firms or organizations that work on issues of urban form (urban design, smart growth, TOD, etc).

Cheers,

-Brad

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Yes, the APA has a list. It is weak, as they charge.... but it is:

http://www.planning.org/consultants/

You can search from there. Not a very organized, or comprehensive list, but it is because APA is looking for money, not provide information.

Take it for what it is Hope that helps.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    You could also try a private database like Hoovers if you know the NAICS code for the types of firms you are looking for (you can also search by keywords). You can narrow your searches by geography, number of employees, revenue, etc.

Hoovers is a subscription based database and is pretty expensive for the individual user to purchase but I would imagine that your local public library (or another one in the area) has access to it (or a similar one).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The planning function is often part of a larger organization, and typically an engineering firm. They may not turn up on a list. The APA charges $1500 to be listed on the web site, so most smaller firms like mine won't be there.

There was once an American Society of Consulting Planners which published a good directory, but I do not think they are around any longer.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2005
    Aside from internet searches, you could get a copy of Planning from the APA and rifle through the ads to identify firms. Again, these will likely be larger companies and organizations that can afford to advertise, but its a start.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Another way to hunt down smaller firms is to download newsletters from APA state chapters and local divisions, and look through the ads.

Off-topic:
    On the never-ending to-do list at Cyburbia: add private planning firm job pages to the list of job listing pages. The big problem is that the Web sites are constantly redesigned, and URLs change frequently. Like I said in the note about the end of the Resource Directory, it's very difficult for one person to maintain a very comprehensive list of Web sites for a certain subject, and the ever-changing URLs just makes the talk more difficult.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mobiusstrip View post
    I'm a grad student starting the internship-hunting process for next summer and I'm having some trouble finding a good list of firms or research organizations/non-profits. I have a few specific cities in mind (SF, Boston, DC, Austin, Vancouver).

Prior to grad school I worked for the AIA and we had an exhaustive list of all member firms broken down by specialty, location, size, etc. Does anything comparable exist for planning/urban design?

If it helps, I'm mostly looking for multi-discipline firms or organizations that work on issues of urban form (urban design, smart growth, TOD, etc).

Cheers,

-Brad
    You are asking for two completely different things here:

(1) Research organizations and non-for-profits
    (2) Multi-disciplinary (for-profit) firms that are design-heavy.

There is no central directory since you are comparing apples to oranges. You will need to start creating your own. To find firms that meet category #1 you could compile a lisitng from various planning program websites. Go to the ACSP website, find accredited planning programs in those cities where you want to work, most of the schools' websites will have a resources page which will offer local links.

As a designer, APA is an awful resource for finding design-heavy firms. ASLA.org has a very comprehensive firm finder on their national webpage. AIA has a membership directory at the national level. However, you can only scroll the first 500 members. It is really just a directory of everyone and anyone who is a member, from an international firm to the 90 year old mostly-retired architect who doens't even know what the internet is. AIA has a goulash of state, regional, and local chapters that is far more complicating than APA. Some of these chapters charge $ for a statewide directory. CNU and ULI might also have some listing of firms that might be interesting.

A third alternative is to go to the state APA chapters websites. Look up old conference programs to see who attended, who had a booth at the trade show, and who presented powerpoints.

Hope this helps-
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    http://archinect.com/jobs/

Good for design/planning jobs, even though you'll need more useless credentials to get into this field (LEED, OPP, CNU). Good luck its rough out there.

My university allows me for free to use career search but I need the NAICS code.
    Do you know any of the codes for planning organizations?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Membership in private organizations
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Mar 2009, 11:56 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 05 Oct 2007, 12:14 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last post: 11 Jul 2006, 3:02 AM