Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good finds at thrift/second hand stores (AIB Things you always find in thrift stores thread)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Good finds at thrift/second hand stores (AIB Things you always find in thrift stores thread)

The "things you always find in thrift stores" thread and Cardinal's comment:
    I spied an old dresser that had been painted many years earlier. I could tell that it was walnut. We stripped it, put some hardware on it, and have a nice piece for the spare bedroom.
    I found some good/cool things at such stores.
    • A cool non sequitur t-shirt from some local kid's theme birthday party. It said "I had a sporting good time at Philip's Bar Mitzvah". Funny thing was that I walked past a bunch of local kids (I was in college still) one day and one of them said he had the same shirt and had actually been to the party.
    • My wife and I found a decent crystal glass punch bowl.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I quite often take a walk through thrift, or as we call them here- second hand stores. I quite often will find great pre loved clothes, that are usually really well constructed and would cost a fortune to buy in the shops today.

I recently bought a telephone seat from a thrift store- needs a few repairs but should be a good as new when i do. I have always wanted one- i am not quite sure why. I bought a crockpot (slow cooker) the other week for $8- and yes it works great!!

When i finally do move out (hopefully next year) i will be heading to the second hand store to buy my furniture!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Maternity clothes (way back when)
    A classic red plaid Woolrich hunting coat that I use for field work. $10 used, $200 new.
    My neighbor moved, and left a bunch of stuff on her back porch for a non-profit to pick up, but they didn't want to navigate the steps. I took a set of china from the rejected items. Does that count?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    At a Salvation Army store in Mayfield Heights, Ohio, a practically never-worn tweed trad-style overcoat made in England. It probably dates back to the 1960s. Paid $20 for it (it was in a special vintage area of the store), but I've seen similar overcoats sell for $500 or so in men's stores. The thing is heavy.

Did some research based on the store label sewed in the interior; it was from a men's store in Erie, Pennsylvania that was founded in 1850 by one of the first Jews to settle in the city. The store is still there 160 years later.

I've got a friend who's found a lot of Kittinger furniture and Roycrofter pottery in a Buffalo Amvets. I'm always on the lookout for Western Electric telephones and IBM Model M keyboards.

There's always the "damn, so close" items. Heavy-duty industrial-strength made-in-the-US Carhartt jackets are common at one thrift in Buffalo, but they always have names stitched on the surface.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Found a few good hevy flannel shirts. Three washes and the grandpa smell was gone.

Found some antique pyrex nesting bowls for $5 and sold them on eBay for $65.

All of the dishes, pots n pans, and flatware for my camper came from a ST, Vinnies.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Last year, I saw a decent, unrestored antique console radio (a Coronado model 807B from 1939, sold new at a Gamble's/Skogmo store, the kind of radio that was the centerpiece of the livingroom in the late 1930s) at a local thrift for about 25 or 30 dollars, but never pulled the trigger on buying it. I didn't know if I had room for another pre-WWII console radio in this space that I live in. They had it plugged in and it was playing but I could tell that it was not in 100% operating condition.

Unbeknownst to me, a local friend of mine did buy it and, knowing that I am competent to work on those old sets, the first thing that he did after he picked it up was he dropped it off at my place. Anyways, despite its strange musty 'atticky' smell, I cleaned the cobwebs out from inside it, took a peek under the chassis (it was in what I thought was remarkably good shape, visually, 'under the hood') and then set out to electronically restore it and bring it up to safe and reliable operating condition. A couple of months later, with the needed parts in hand, I changed out the usual slate of unreliable old parts along with several failed parts from under the chassis, replaced an incorrect tube (I am still VERY surprised that that set was playing AT ALL in the store!), updated the power supply end of the set - including replacing its BAD NEWS power cord - and overall got it into better-than-new operating condition.

With a new long antenna wire it is a fantastic performing radio and its cabinet, in its as-bought unrestored state, doesn't look bad at all. Sports play-by-play, old-time radio shows and so forth sound great on those sets, too!

Mike

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Throw pillow. Can't imagine why this classic design would have been in a donation pile.

Revereware silver bowls, sometimes with a colored enamel lining. These things go for big bucks on Ebay.

A 24" wheel girls Raleigh, with a five-speed derailleur. Something like $2.52. Older niece rode it for years, younger niece learned to ride a two-wheeler on it. It's now returned to me and awaits its next position.

Holiday and other special occasion sweaters. I find apparel with a bike design almost every visit.

My favorite thrift chain is Value World, found in larger cities, and all y'all are making me want to take a road trip.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My two best thrift-store finds were both records.

One was Dennis Wilson's 1977 record "Pacific Ocean Blue" which even had a little newspaper clipping about his drowning death stuffed into the record sleeve. I think I paid about $5 for that LP and later saw it on eBay for about $80. The value has probably plummeted since then though since the album had finally been reissued in all formats in 2008.

I also found a Dave Brubeck 45rpm record from about 1956, "History of a Boy Scout." I think that the 45 was only released in the U.K. but haven't really been able to find out for sure. I think I paid $3 for that one.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Ties. Lots of ties. Sometimes unused. They usually go for $2 each at Goodwill.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I picked up an Olympus camera in high school at a thrift store that was supposedly "broken" and not working. I messed with it in the store, and realized it was just the lens that was shot. Bought the camera for about $3, tossed the lens, and bought another nice lens for about $20 at a second-hand photography store. Used it for about 7 years before it had an unfortunate encounter with a rock and a pond.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Genuine Harris Tweed sport coat for $9.99 at Goodwill.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oh Yeah.....

Old wood head drivers and golf clubs The kind I can wrap around a tree or throw for distance or toss into a nearby lake without so much as waisting one second of my life worrying about the cost of replacement If I ever found a club with a wood shaft that I could break over my leg, that would be fun and provide some comic relief to those forced to watch me play

Hey Brocktoon, this reminds me we still need to hit the links, maybe a poorly maintained public course? Bring your helmet ok.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Old wood head drivers and golf clubs The kind I can wrap around a tree or throw for distance or toss into a nearby lake without so much as waisting one second of my life worrying about the cost of replacement If I ever found a club with a wood shaft that I could break over my leg, that would be fun and provide some comic relief to those forced to watch me play

Hey Brocktoon, this reminds me we still need to hit the links, maybe a poorly maintained public course? Bring your helmet ok.

A buddy of mine actually had a "Damnit Club" in his bag for this exact reason!

As for my finds, I used to work in a very affluent city and would go to Salvation Army or Goodwill and routinely find brand name high quality shirts, slacks, sport coats for $2 to $5. Polo, Lauren, Jos. A. Banks, Brooks Bros., etc.
    Last winter I found a pair of ski bibs for Wee P for $3.50
    It a great time killer during lunch too.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    As I mentioned in another thread, I have found two slightly-used wool overcoats at the Salvation Army Thrift Store. Paid about $8 for each and wear them a lot. Bought a nice pair of khaki pants at a Salvation Army Thrift Store by an air force base.

Most of my sports coats come from the thrift store - pay $3-$7 for each one.

My family makes an annual trip to Great Falls to hit the Old Navy Store, some lunch and then the thrift stores.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup.....

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    A buddy of mine actually had a "Damnit Club" in his bag for this exact reason!
    My bag is full of pawn shop/thrift store clubs for this very reason.....

You ever drill a club into the soft earth then just walk away to leave it standing as a beacon of your failure to get the ball across a pond???
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 2002
    It's not a thrift shop exactly, but my wife once found a cookie jar in a garage sale for 25 cents that she turned around and sold in her antique booth for $20.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Nothing too exciting for myself but I'll look in the local thrifts for books I can sell for a profit every few weeks. One of the more interesting finds was an original copy of the Nasby Papers a civil war era satire. The local thrift had a credit card minimum so I ended up finding this when I went looking for items to meet the $10 requirement. Probably paid a dollar for it and sold it for $77.

Nasby Papers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ross_Locke#His_work

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Thrift stores have been good to us over the years, particularly where small kitchen appliances are concerned. We're still using the slow cooker we picked up for $4 twelve years ago and have a knife block, electric can opener, and toaster oven that were purchased around the same time for cheap that have gotten daily use. On the other hand we bought a cane chair against my better judgement that lasted only a year or so before self-destructing.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    In college I found a very nice suit for $25... I later found out that it was $500 brand new.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    In college I found a very nice suit for $25... I later found out that it was $500 brand new.
    I've found a couple nice suits at Goodwill. Buy the suit for $10 and tailor it for $80 and I have one of the best suits ever.
    I also find good Haloween costumes - want to be a zombie, buy some clothes from the thrift shop and rip them up. Need a mummy outfit, buy all the white sheets you can find. Cheap and you don't mind destroying it.
    I never seem to find the "good deals" though. No Revere bowls or antiques.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I've found a couple nice suits at Goodwill. Buy the suit for $10 and tailor it for $80 and I have one of the best suits ever.
    I also find good Haloween costumes - want to be a zombie, buy some clothes from the thrift shop and rip them up. Need a mummy outfit, buy all the white sheets you can find. Cheap and you don't mind destroying it.
    I never seem to find the "good deals" though. No Revere bowls or antiques.
    We typically go to thrift stores where we are looking for clothes for costumes. That's about it. I don't have time to weed through the thousands and thousands of items of crap to find one deal.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Not so much a good find, but I guess a good idea...

I buy all my blankets, beds/pillows, and stuffed toys for my dog at thrift shops. Just make sure the stuffed toys have fabric eyes, not something plastic they can swallow. 5 bucks for 5 stuffed animals is a lot better deal than 10 for a "dog toy" at a pet shop. Plus, it seems like the marketed dog toys tear up much easier than a regular stuffed animal.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Not so much a good find, but I guess a good idea...

I buy all my blankets, beds/pillows, and stuffed toys for my dog at thrift shops. Just make sure the stuffed toys have fabric eyes, not something plastic they can swallow. 5 bucks for 5 stuffed animals is a lot better deal than 10 for a "dog toy" at a pet shop. Plus, it seems like the marketed dog toys tear up much easier than a regular stuffed animal.
    We have something in common! That's where I get all my daughter's blankets, pillows, and stuffed toys too!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I got a Talbots black and white tweed blazer from the Goodwill "Boutique" in downtown Portland. I paid $24.99 for it and it still had it's original store price tag on it-$229

I will not purchase any kind of bedding or stuffed toy at a thrift shop because bed bugs are prevalent in our area.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Inspired by this thread and the fact that Wednesday is half-price day at the local thrift, I picked up two very nice golf shirts yesterday. Total cost $5.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Dec 2009, 9:45 AM
  2. How stores came to be in cities
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 23 Jun 2007, 9:44 PM
  3. Tradeoffs at box stores
    Economic and Community Development